3987 Renewing an Italian passport in London

Ciao tutti, I'm a new member, having found this website a few days ago and already I've a query that I hope someone can help with. My Italian husband needs to renew his Italian passport in the next few days. However, because of work commitments it will be impossible for him to get to the consulate. Can I renew it for him or does he have to go in person?

Category
Legal

it depends when the passport expires. If it really is in the next 'few days' your husband needs to go to the consulate. Once expired he will have to apply for a new one (happened to me five years ago). However if he has some time on it, all you have to do is call the consulate and they will send you a form to complete and return along with the passport due to expire, photographs and a postal order depending on what type of passport you need. Whatever you do don't send a personal cheque! Because even though the form doesn't say anything, they sent mine back about three weeks later saying 'we don't accept personal cheques'. :rolleyes:

My Italian passport recently was renewed and it took them about six weeks! But no the answer is you don't need to go to the consulate at all, I didn't for the renewal, nor did I when I let my previous one expire accidentally. I did everything through the mail.

Good luck :)