3175 Best route to go to Italy

Hello to every body in this GREAT forum. I am very new to this forum , but I feel at home. I have already been to italy by car , went through the san gottardo last year. But I would really like to know what route is the best route as in the shortest and quickest. Everybody is welcome to put down their thought. Thanks.

Category
Travel & Holiday Advice

we've always done the san gottardo too - gives you the option if the sun is shining and you've made good time to go over the top insteas - and we found an excellent hotel just before it (see previous posts) which meant we could do Rome from Cambs in one, very comfortable, overnight stop

Welcome to the forum robybaggio. Have tried various routes but in the end decided this is the best route, via San Gotthard, certainly for us.

shortests, and quickests? really does depend, which part of italy u are going
to, and how lucky u are with hold ups or lack of them.
san gottardo is as good as any, but then alot will depend on how quickly u drive,as to if going striaght through to mont blanc is quicker...

[QUOTE=robybaggio]Hello to every body in this GREAT forum. I am very new to this forum , but I feel at home. I have already been to italy by car , went through the san gottardo last year. But I would really like to know what route is the best route as in the shortest and quickest. Everybody is welcome to put down their thought. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
you might not like this but we tend to take the theoretically longer route butsuprise suprise it ends up just as quick and could be cheaper..
BELGIUM-HOLLAND TURN RIGHT GERMANY STRAIGHT ON THRU AUSTRIA BRENNER PASS COME OUT ATverona/Modena.
down side:+kms
up side: fish meal belgium coast, speeding in Germany ,i mean speeding,no road tolls , good roads,come out in a good position for almost anywhere in italy,
i mean the overinflated prices round dover,the cost of the mont blanc tunnel,the traffic to milan from basel thru gottard it's worth considering i never go thru france and tryand make itall part ofthe break...

Hi Roby

if you come from Calais or Brugge i advise :
Brugge >Gent> Brussels > Liege> Luxemburg> Metz > Strasbourg> Basel> Luzern > San Gottardo >Lugano > Milano > then where you like

785 km , 6/7 hours

good tryp

We are driving over to Abruzzo next week never having done it before. I'm a bit daunted by the mileage (1,000) that the route planners have given but the costs certainly make sense!!

We are using Norfolk Lines and sail to Dunkirk for the huge some of £68 return!!

We pass through Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Switzerland and then into Italy . If anyone has done this I would like to know their thoughts.

Jackie

Having driven to Le Marche many times in the last 40 years in many types of vehicle my choice would be Belgium but via Lille rather than Brussels to Liege then Cologne and down Germany entering Austria at Kufstein then via Innsbruck and through the Brenner pass this may not be the shortest route but as quick but is by far the most economical with no road charges to pay until you reach Austria.

[QUOTE=Rod Cattini]Having driven to Le Marche many times in the last 40 years in many types of vehicle my choice would be Belgium but via Lille rather than Brussels to Liege then Cologne and down Germany entering Austria at Kufstein then via Innsbruck and through the Brenner pass this may not be the shortest route but as quick but is by far the most economical with no road charges to pay until you reach Austria.[/QUOTE]

This is the route I use and recommend, not only economical, but straight forward and not much slower. I have done this route in about 24 hours without breaking the speed limit, which is only a few hours more than going straight though France.

[QUOTE=Rod Cattini]Having driven to Le Marche many times in the last 40 years in many types of vehicle my choice would be Belgium but via Lille rather than Brussels to Liege then Cologne and down Germany entering Austria at Kufstein then via Innsbruck and through the Brenner pass this may not be the shortest route but as quick but is by far the most economical with no road charges to pay until you reach Austria.[/QUOTE]

Agree on the Belgian & German motorways being more easy-going than France. Took me previously 6 hours incl break from Calais via Brussels (ring road system), Aachen, Cologne to Heidelberg in south-western Germany. The 'advised' speed limit in Germany is 130 km/h but this can easily be exceeded.

Was going to test the route through the Brenner Pass this summer but sadly won't make it.

Found this useful website for motorway charges (in German! Let me know if you need help!) about fees on European motorways... scroll down to the relevant country & click on the link... [url]http://www.kfz-auskunft.de/info/autobahngebuehr.html[/url]

Prices are self explanatory. It seems to be up to date but anyone with different details please correct me! :)

E.g. Austria:
Die Preise für Pkw (bis 3,5 Tonnen): [car]

Jahresvignette: 72,60 Euro [1 year]
Monats-Vignette: 21,80 Euro [1 month]
Zehn-Tages-Vignette: 7,60 Euro [10 days]

Switzerland:
Die Jahresvignette 27,00 Euro für Fahrzeuge .... von je 3,5 Tonnen gilt 14 Monate [vignette for a car is (apparently) valid for 14 months].

France:
... Pkw ... 100 Autobahnkilometer etwa 5 Euro. (€5 per 100 km on motorways)
..... Autos und Motorräder zahlen für den Frejus-Tunnel und den Mont Blanc-Tunnel ... 15,30 Euro [one way], hin und zurück 19,30 Euro [return].

Happy travelling!! :)

Found another site with useful information on routes here...

[url]http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/autoroutes.html[/url]

;)