Hi,Do “inactive” residents

maxgi Image
07/20/2019 - 17:29

Hi,Do “inactive” residents have to subscribe to the Italian pension scheme (INPS) and Italian social security/medical insurance if they have already a foreign pension and foreign medical insurance from an EU country? Im asking as I was thinking of taking early retirement at around 60 and moving to Italy. A friend of mine was told that in Switzerland (Ticino) someone on early retirement with a foreign pension and medical insurance had to contribute to the Swiss pension and medical insurance scheme until the age of 65...so I was wondering if some similar obligation existed in Italy ....thanks for any help in this matter best Max



Because he is inactive, he will have to pay for a service. It is profoundly wrong to think that, in Italy, you can get free, what you pay in other countries. Instead, there are facilities, on the front of the payments to be paid, for foreign pensioners who transfer their tax residence to Italy, that is, they transfer their pension to Italy. Therefore, in the absence of an income that demonstrates one's autonomy of life (that is, that one does not need to be maintained by the Italian state) for all assistance and sickness benefits, a personal health insurance is required, issued with coverage in Italy, Not, I repeat, not a tourist insurance, valid for several countries, for a limited time, but an insurance valid for a whole year, in Italy. If the insurance is not renewed, at the end of the first contractual year, the foreigner loses the right to reside in Italy. For non-EU citizens the tourist right is 90 days - for EU citizens (Swiss is tied to EU citizens) it is 180 daysUgo , by Lifeinitaly.it 

Thanks for your reply but I think there is s misunderstanding. I am not looking to receive anything for free ..I just want to make sure that I wouldn’t have to pay twice for the same thing!i Would come to Italy with sufficient resources (a foreign public and private pension), a foreign medical insurance, etc. I don’t think the residency in Italy would be an issue. In the Swiss case I would be obliged to ALSO pay the equivalent of Swiss IMPS and Swiss medical insurance until the official Swiss retirement age of 65 for males.  

read this link,http://www.comunedicortona.it/il-comune/servizi-demografici-ed-elettorali-e-delegazioni/residenza/arrivare-dall-estero/download attachment B, and read, page 1 - point 2 - paragraph 3 - for insurance

Technically you should be applying for residency in Italy after 90 days (before if you wish), to do so, and be accepted, in the circumstances you describe (early retirement) you will likely need health insurance which has to be acceptable to the comune you are applying for residency. Staying more than 182 days in a tax year (Jan-Dec in Italy) you could become “tax resident” and liable for tax in Italy (at a much greater rate than the UK). Search here and other forums for “residency” and/or “tax in Italy” for more information.Some areas allow paying INPS for health cover and it's often cheaper, but it is not a requirement to do so.

Truely ... Steve ,have a new law i italy , for not italian's retired - taxes = 7%see > https://www.pensionioggi.it/notizie/fisco/arriva-la-flat-tax-al-7-per-i-pensionati-stranieri-che-si-trasferiscono-al-sud-978979only constraint ... going to live in the south smiley 

Steve, where he read that there is a minimum, to take advantage of the flat tax. In the article it is only written that the place where to take up residence must have a population NOT greater than 20,000 inhabitants