11230 Exterior Insulation

Hi
Local friends need to get their house insulated - the material looks like foam tiles - attached to the outside of the house, then plaster/painted. Please can anyone help with the following questions;
- likley cost for a house 250 sqm.
- one builder has suggested not using a net on top of the insulation and exterior plaster coating - would be cheaper. Is this acceptable?

Thks for your help.

Ianthy

Category
Building/Renovation

Why are they insulating the outside of their house? Why don't they dry line the inside of the external walls with plasterboard and fit insulation there?

My husband says they need to mesh to make the render stick (he's a plasterer & damp-proofer) unless the insutaltion tiles have some kind of ready to plaster finsih on them.

[quote=Penny;106271]Why are they insulating the outside of their house? Why don't they dry line the inside of the external walls with plasterboard and fit insulation there?........[/quote]

Sometimes it easier to do it externally, combined with a nice new weatherproof render, it can have distinct advantages.

Also - if I dry lined my place internally, I'd have trouble fitting the bed into the [already] small bedroom!

[quote=Penny;106271]..............My husband says they need to mesh to make the render stick (he's a plasterer & damp-proofer) unless the insulation tiles have some kind of ready to plaster finish on them.[/quote]

Totally agree - the mesh is an integral part of the proper installation of the system

Insulation works better when made on the external face, you can use various materials like EPS, rockwool and other, if you choose plaster finish you HAVE to use mesh! the work (only insulation and plaster finish) could costs something like 55€ per sqm of facade, you have to add techical costs(you need for a DIA) and other costs like scaffholding and replacing of windowsill....etc....I'm from bologna, if u need help...

Depending of type of walls and local climate, doing the insulation on the outside can be almost mandatory. If you have plastered outside walls in an area with longer frost periods every winter, insulating on the inside can cause the plaster to crack and fall off. The reason is that when walls are not insulated from inside, the walls are kept dry and frostfree from the heating inside the house. When insulating on the inside, the walls get moisty and frost ruins the plaster.

Erik

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice - very helpful!

Ianthy