11243 Emilia Romagna Struck By Earthquake

Moved to : Italiauncovered.co.uk

Category
General chat about Italy

Well, this report is quite reassuring (in terms of no lives lost); but heck, it is dark now -wait until tomorrow

[url]http://unionesarda.ilsole24ore.com/primo_piano/?contentId=55950[/url]

I was outside fetching wood when my house started wriggling at about 4.30, all evening we waited for the after shock, then at about 10pm it came and it was a lot worse because I was inside for that one. scarey but if the house has been here for 200 years I think/hope maybe its ok!

Good to hear that you are OK. As you say, old houses seem to have a sort of guarantee written on and even in the worst possible scenario they seem to do better than new constructions. Let's hope that the shaking and wriggling is over and that there are no victims.

Moved to : Italiauncovered.co.uk

I felt it way up north...nothing compared to the Nov 1994 one which had its epicentre about 2 inches from my house but a nice little rumble....

:wideeyed:

[quote=Gala Placidia;106363]........ As you say, old houses seem to have a sort of guarantee written on and even in the worst possible scenario they seem to do better than new constructions. ..................[/quote]

Probably because all the old badly built houses fell down decades ago - only the good ones are left.

I think that you are right, Alan.

I had a electrician from Romania here yesterday doing some work and he told me that in his country walls are solid, not cavity ones. So although they have earthquakes, properties don't collapse.

We were only just over 50km from the epicentre and only felt a slight vibration, but then our 300 year old palazzo is pretty solid. We didn't even notice the aftershock, but we were sitting down to dinner by then and have had a few glasses of wine, so probably just put it down to that. For more detailed info on the quake check [url=http://cnt.rm.ingv.it/~earthquake/data_id/2205007630/event.php]INGV - CNT - Evento[/url]