11252 St Peter's Italian Church, London

St Peter's Italian Church, London

136 Clerkenwell Road, London EC1R 5EN
+44 20 78371528
[url=http://www.italianchurch.org.uk/]St. Peter's Italian Church London UK[/url]

Having been to a Church Of England Midnight Mass in Kensington Church Street which I didn't particularly feel akin to, I was curious to see if there was a local Italian church I could have gone to this evening but although yes there is one, it is in the City and too far from me. St Peter's Italian Church, Clerkenwell, London. This is what I have read about it.

"This is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful churches in London. A warmth wraps around you as you enter into the main church and it is very easy to spend hours just walking around the church, soaking up the inspirational presence that is here and admiring the stunning painted ceilings and artwork throughout the Church.

April 1863 saw St Peter's open its doors - the first Church in the UK which had the Roman Basilica style about it. Initially it was a church for all nationalities despite having been built for the growing Italian community in the Clerkenwell area, famed for its choir but after a speckled history - particularly during the Second World War - it was turned over to the Italian community in 1953 and has been known as the "Italian Church" since around that time. Tis is a little bit about it and it certainly sound worth visiting.

II is a very busy church, always with full congregations and standing room only (if you are lucky!), particularly for Sunday services around Easter and Christmas-time. It has a lively close-knit community feel, spearheaded by Father Camelo and his dedicated team. They also regularly hold luncheon events. A great place to go ... do visit, especially over the Christmas period when the Navity scene is absolutely breathtaking."

Category
General chat about Italy

There's a small Italian church in Bayswater.

If you happen to be in New York, this is the Italian Catholic Church:
[url]http://stanthonynyc.com/[/url]
Very pleasant atmosphere

And if you happen to be in San Francisco, the Italian church is St Peter and St Paul on North Beach, just opposite Little Italy, where you can have delicious coffee as well:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sts._Peter_and_Paul_Church,_San_Francisco]Sts. Peter and Paul Church, San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

St Peter's is indeed a lovely church with a vibrant community and strong pastoral tradition. Many Italians who would have lived/worked in this once Italian neighbourhood retain links with the parish.
I studied many years ago in Kensington and remember the lovely Carmelite church in Kensington Church St. I don't know what it's like now but then it felt welcoming and peaceful.

Yes Carmel it's still there but I haven't visited it though I pass it almost every day. I'm spiritual rather than "religious" although my roots are Church Of Scotland.. My desire really last night especially was to just be with Italians.