5940 Teaching English in Italy - sick and tired!

I've been teaching English in the south of Italy for seven long years! Is there anyone out there who can give me an idea of something new to do here?? I love Calabria and want to open a business of some kind. Internet based perhaps?

Teaching can be fun to start with but after some time you learn that Italians learn English only for the piece of paper you give them at the end of a course; they make your life hell getting it though! Arghhhhh!

What business would thrive in Italy? In Calabria?

Category
General chat about Italy

Your frustration is very understandable Tina, but surely after seven long years, you are the one who will know what type of new business venture would work best in Calabria. Sometimes it's difficult to see the wood for the trees - step back and reassess your skills. What would you be happy doing? What are the local and unique Calabrian specialities and could they be utilised in some way to suit your idea of an internet based business? Perhaps there are certain things that are unavailable in Calabria that could be imported or maybe local goods are highly desireable and need exposure. Your new global business could be just one click away.

[QUOTE=tinacara;53398]I've been teaching English in the south of Italy for seven long years! Is there anyone out there who can give me an idea of something new to do here?? I love Calabria and want to open a business of some kind. Internet based perhaps?

Teaching can be fun to start with but after some time you learn that Italians learn English only for the piece of paper you give them at the end of a course; they make your life hell getting it though! Arghhhhh!

What business would thrive in Italy? In Calabria?[/QUOTE]

May I suggest opening a small "Bed & Breakfast" (with traditional, organic food) ? I'm sure there's a market, and you'd be the first.

S

Wow, I sympathise with you, it is very difficult to get to a stage and know you need change but can't see how. There are many others in the same boat.

There are many good books that can be ordered on Amazon, maybe you could ask an English friend to suss one out and then you could order it.

Also the Dolce Vita is on soon. If you can afford it, try and get to London and go. There are many tour companies, real estate, pottery and food people from your region who are there, several of them are Italians with little english but a heap of enthusism, maybe they need someone who can help them in their area. You may find a connection that could be amazing. I find that friends who can balance teaching in the Winter months and tourism in the summer have a more financially rewarding time of it and more fulfilling.

Make a list of your skills and assets. Bi-lingual, driver's licence, work with kids... etc. Maybe you could work in a Summer Camp. Think outside the envelope.

Most people need help with the internet. Can you skill yourself up in this area. Always property companies need people on the ground to take clients around.

Try and get the english papers that have job offers. Maybe you can fit the bill. Sometimes companies are recruiting staff for Italian offices.

Also are you any good at photography? maybe Italy Magazine needs someone from your area who can write a great story as well.

It takes great strength to change your life, you've done it once by moving to Italy, you can do it again. Think positively

all the best

Christine

I would like to know what you mean?
I understand the bit about, only doing it for the piece of paper, what other
reason is there for doing a course, that does not have an end product?

But the making your life hell bit, i do not understand and being as it is an
option for my wife to teach english, no way do i want her teaching anything
that can be hell....

Thanks for the advice! I will look into the Dolce Vita Christine! Giovanni, if your wife wife is looking to go into teaching I suggest she does it because she is passionate about it, and I hope she has some experience... Teaching in private English schools is a good way of getting a job which will be "registato" but it has its negative points. Sure there is statisfaction if you have students who are willing to learn and are studious. However, in MY experience there are also lots of children who are sent to English schools by their parents only to get "CREDITI" for school. This is where the nightmare starts! You quite often get classes of 8 or 9 students who are noisy and reluctant to study. Students control the teachers and not the other way round here! Some children may make your lesson time "hell"... It can be quite stressful getting these students to pass exams too...Then you have the parents to deal with! The pressure is always on. Even when you finish working.... Your wife can give it a go; I suggest private lessons...

Tina,
Another idea is if you are into web sites. There is a huge demand -- even for smaller businesses -- to have someone who speaks English to help design and populate the content. Often they need structural help in setting up the site, so not sure how technical you are, but if it interests you I think it's a great market. If you aren't very technical, another idea would be to team up with a local web designer and offer your English services for the content. It helps them in that they can market more services and you then get to work with Italians and don't have to do the techie end of sites (unless of course that's your thing!).

Regarding the teaching, I love private one-on-one lessons with Italian adults, especially business professionals. I have found it very stumilating and fulfilling. But, I have experienced teaching Italian kids and it was unfortunately an experience I will not repeat...

Good luck to both Tina and Giovanni's wife!

Have no idea if this will help but found it anyway. [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk"][COLOR=#800080]www.amazon.co.uk[/COLOR][/URL]