11320 New to the forum

[SIZE=3][FONT=Courier New]Ciao everyone. My name is Michael Georgetti. My wife Rebecca and I have a vacation home in Umbria just outside of Todi. We have just completed our first year. We spent 2 1/2 months there in Feb., June and October. We also rented the house for eight weeks to various friends. We live in the US and have visited Italy several times a year for the last 15 years. [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New]I am conversational in Italian and we hope to spend considerably more time there in the next 5-10 years. Our home is an unusual in that it is a restored rectory to a 13th century church and is located in a small village of about ten houses. It provides the opportunity for very rustic Umbrian living. Yet we are within a short distince of many significant locations in Italy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]I hope that this forum will allow me to share my experience while at the same time share the experience of others.[/FONT]

Category
Introduce Yourself - Piacere Conoscerti

Hi Michael and Rebecca and a very warm welcome to the Forum. There are a few people here from Umbria but I'll leave it with them to identify themselves. We look forward to your contributions.

A warm welcome to the Forum Michael, and we do hope to hear more from you. Your house sounds gorgeous and we would love to share your experiences and a few photographs. You can start your own album under your name. Just have a look at mine and our old mill by the river and you will get an idea. We also go to Italy 2-3 times every year and spend a couple of months at our home, driving all the way from Spain with our little dog. A bit less complicated than your situation coming all the way from America. But the trips are worth the effort.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Forum! Where in the states do you live? We are in New England and plan on retiring to Italy hopefully within the next 7 - 8 years.

I'd love to see some pictures of your house and will look forward to hearing more about you and your experiences in Umbria.

Lisa

Hello Michael Giorgetti and welcome. I have noticed that Americans seen to buy near Todi or Cortona if they choose Umbria. So I don't know any where we are near Lago Trasimeno. I wonder where the Italian side of your family came from? Did you have an Italian parent as I did? Look forward to your posts.

We live in Connecticut. We first lived in near Assisi in 1995 at a home owned by a friend from Rome. Using that as a base, we traveled with our daughters (then 8 and 10) throughout Umbria, Tuscany and many other parts of Italy. After that we have returned many times visiting many places from Venice to Sicily. My granparents were Italian and were from Rome, Subiaco, Cassino and Bagheria, Sicily. I will post photos of our home in the near future. I plan on visiting Todi in late February for ten days. We also plan on late May for a month and September for a month depending on my work schedule.

[quote=mrmag;107177]We live in Connecticut. We first lived in near Assisi in 1995 at a home owned by a friend from Rome. Using that as a base, we traveled with our daughters (then 8 and 10) throughout Umbria, Tuscany and many other parts of Italy. After that we have returned many times visiting many places from Venice to Sicily. My granparents were Italian and were from Rome, Subiaco, Cassino and Bagheria, Sicily. I will post photos of our home in the near future. I plan on visiting Todi in late February for ten days. We also plan on late May for a month and September for a month depending on my work schedule.[/quote]

Hi Michael,

You're very fortunate to be able to spend large amounts of time in Italy. We hope to be able to as well once our son is in college. We are in Vermont so not too far away from you.

Were you brought up speaking Italian with your grandparents? It makes such a difference being able to speak the language especially in a small village. We speak it as well as my husband attended university there.

Are you eventually planning on retiring in Italy or will you just be vacationing there?

We'll look forward to seeing photos of your house which sounds charming.

Hi Lisa

I originally spoke a Sicilian dialect as I was predominately raised by my maternal grandmother. My paternal grandmother would also speak to me in Roman Italian and so I had a foundation in the language. In high school I studied Spanish and I also lived for a year in Mexico. I studied Italian in adult education courses and resumed it quickly. I am conversationally fluent, but I still have a lot to learn. I also understand some French and some Portuguese. I have a workman that assist in various projects. I am constantly asking him how to say various things. He quite often says: it Italian it is one word, but in the local dialect it is something entirely different. Keeping in mind that dialects often can change every ten miles in Italy, I have begun to stick with the simple Italian.

You are doing the right thing by sticking with simple Italian. Dialects complicate everything. Your knowledge of Spanish, French and Portuguese also help as you will find many similar words.... although it is confusing at certain times...... Anyway, you are taking all the right steps. Are your daughters also learning Italian? They are at the right age to do so and they will be able to pick a very good pronunciation.It will also reinforce and expand their English skills. So it is worthwhile trying.

Thank you Michael for answering our questions. I think that you have had a very harsh winter over there, so far in Umbria the weather has been kind with little snow, even up here at 627mts. If you lived in Assisi in 1995 perhaps you know this enthusiastic woman too? [url=http://www.annesitaly.com/]Annesitaly - Tour Guide in Assisi, Unique Guided Tours of Assisi, Umbria,Italy[/url]

[quote=Gala Placidia;107190]You are doing the right thing by sticking with simple Italian. Dialects complicate everything. Your knowledge of Spanish, French and Portuguese also help as you will find many similar words.... although it is confusing at certain times...... Anyway, you are taking all the right steps. Are your daughters also learning Italian? They are at the right age to do so and they will be able to pick a very good pronunciation.It will also reinforce and expand their English skills. So it is worthwhile trying.[/quote]

Hi Gala,

I think the daughters aren't as young as you think - by my calculations the youngest is 21!:laughs:

MIchael,

I agree with Gala to keep it simple. My husband went to the school for foreigners in Perugia for 3 months of intense immersion before attending the U. of Pisa. They were taught "true" Italian which I believe is Tuscan. Most people we have met are able to speak it but will lapse into dialect once they are more comfortable with us. We went to a comedy show in Le Marche with friends in July and it was very interesting as while I only understood about 50% of what was being said and my husband about 90%, even our friends who are Marchigiani didn't get it all between the fast dialect and eating of words. Fun experience though!

With your working knowledge of other languages as well, you are already ahead of the game.

You are right, Lisa OOOPS! Read too fast.
As for dialects, even in Tuscany some people are difficult to understand. It all depends on their different accents and diction. It happens to me with two of our neighbours. The wife is not a problem. I understand about 95% of what she says, so we are fine. With the husband it is a different problem. I'm lucky if I get about 50% right. The other 50% is just plain guessing!!!!

You are absolutely correct. Our daughters are now 21 and 23. One studied French and the other Spanish. They both however have been able to maintain some limited Italian. In 1995 I actually lived in a rural section of Cannara which is a small town located across the valley from Assisi. Although we visited Assisi often I did not encounter Anne. Looking at her website, I now wish that I had. I have followed the weather in Todi as I must be concerned about the temperature and the need for heat. Although the house is not occupied at this time, I must keep the heat on low to address the humidity and the cold. Last year in early March the weather was cold and rainy. I am hoping for better weather this year. May and October were spectacular months.

Hello Micheal,

My names james and I moved to Italy last April with my family.We are living just outside Umbertide,Sioli its calles so imbetween Gubbio And Umbertide.

Your Place sounds really nice.I have been helping renovating my mum and dads place here.

Ciao for now James

James: Thank you for your comments. You can see more of our home at
[url=http://www.casa-luminosa.com]Casa Luminosa[/url]

Michael :smile:

Hi Michael,
I guess we must be your nearest neighbors on the Italy magazine Forums We live about 5Km away from you, near San Terenziano. Do send me a private message when you are next in Umbria and we'll arrange to have a coffee together.

Hello Everyone

I have been to Italy several times. The first being a 2 year stint in the early 60's to grow up! My wife and I have traveled to several areas but would like to visit Umbria in September so we are looking for an economical place (if that is a possibility?) to use as a base for 2 weeks. Any help? I would surely appreciate it.
In 2006 we traveled with my brother and his wife from Rome to Sicily and back up the other coast (Puglia) and back to Rome. Great trip and we loved Puglia. So now hopefully to Umbria.