11244 V4 New Layout Quick Link Buttons

Ronald.

It may be just me, but the black text on the dark red link buttons (beneath the IM logo) are very difficult to see/read. Especially when you pass the cursor over them, they are practically invisible. Also the black buttons (travel, accommodation, about us etc) don't appear to show up properly.

Category
Italy Magazine Forums - Announcements & Queries - No Longer Applicable

[quote=Oneto15;106340]Ronald.

It may be just me, but the black text on the dark red link buttons (beneath the IM logo) are very difficult to see/read. Especially when you pass the cursor over them, they are practically invisible. Also the black buttons (travel, accommodation, about us etc) don't appear to show up properly.[/quote]
Agree totally, can hardly read the text in intro, rather it went back to the original.

Oh don't worry everyone - we got used to it last time - we'll get used to it this time too. There's bound to be glitches. I like the colours and once all the bugs are squashed - it'll be fine. :bigergrin:

OMG - am I going blind? You mean, there is text there behind the seriously maroon background? No, I am being unfair, let us give it a couple of days to settle down - but, hey, did I sort of miss developments in graphic design 1970-2009 - could anybody please explain the rationale behind this maroon scheme?
A few unimportant things do tend to pass me by, but maroon as a fashoin statement doesn't cut it with me. No way. Not even in a depression! Rethink, perlease...

For me the site has not changed colour but that is because I see it on high visibility – just as well by the sounds of it!

However what happens now is that posts are too long to fit across the screen, so can not be read without scrolling across or reducing the text size.

I thought that there was an initiative for websites to be easily accessible for people with visual disability (under the disability discrimination act) but then I’m not sure if that applies to sites run by a Sicilian company.

I personally would love to know the rationale behind the changes, which to my mind reduce the ease of access to some of the functions – Groups for example – and does not, at first, appear to offer anything better for the user.

[quote=Oneto15;106340]Ronald.

It may be just me, but the black text on the dark red link buttons (beneath the IM logo) are very difficult to see/read. Especially when you pass the cursor over them, they are practically invisible. Also the black buttons (travel, accommodation, about us etc) don't appear to show up properly.[/quote]

Me too.

Generally, black on red, or red on black gives very poor legibility, especially on screen.
I'm not generally resistant to change but not an improvement just here.

I haven't studied the rest of the site yet.

I wish Ronald a) had informed us of the timing of an impending upgrade and b) then informed us what changes had been implemented.

I now have returned home and see that the text is quite large, especially the time of the posts but hey no need to buy new specs at the moment!!!

Yes there still seems to be a lot of empty white space too.

"Text seems to be quite large"...that's a bit of an understatement!...I would say what the **** is it with the 48pt HUGE!
Clearly the forums bit of this site is a "work in progress" - but don't you (designers?) have a preview pane? Navy text on black (okay, you have rethought this) or black on maroon (now sorted) were never going to work in a million years, I'm very intrigued as to why you thought these options were viable.
It doesn't simply offend me on aesthetic grounds, it now means I question your understanding of the world, the universe, and everything! Surely anybody trying to revamp a website has a handy non-networked laptop to hand as a 'snagger'? That minimal control would have saved you all this grief...

Hey I said I needed new specs!!! lol Having designed a few websites Charles, it's extremely difficult for one that works the same on all browsers, at all resolutions and with all system software. However there are though a number of websites where you can actually test your website.

What also might be useful is a direct link on the menu bar to the Homepage.

[quote=Sally Donaldson;106424]Hey I said I needed new specs!!! lol Having designed a few websites Charles, it's extremely difficult for one that works the same on all browsers, at all resolutions and with all system software. However there are though a number of websites where you can actually test your website.[/quote]

Agree with you there Sally. There is of course things such as web standards that have been in place since 1994.

Software developers and webmasters should try to follow so that people see the same output whatever browser they are using.

This site homepage is showing with 30 errors in HTML validation and 10 errors in CSS validation.
( [url=http://validator.w3.org/]The W3C Markup Validation Service[/url] )

I'm sure by fixing a few of them will help resolve these problems.