12488 Permesso di Soggiorno and Elective residency

I am about to apply for elective residency at the Commune and am looking for some advice
a) I will take my codice fiscale/rogito/passport ( EU) bank statement/ utility bill payment along with me- is there anything else i need to show?

b) I am advised that private mediacal insutance is ann option to show I am not going to be a burden on the Italian system . Can anyone recommend where I can get a reasonably priced policy ( contact details etc) and importantly the KEY areas of essential medical cover that I need to prove I have insured against ? I dont want to go crazy for €4000 if i can help it!! I am not sure exacty what I have to prove and to whom.:veryconfused:

c) Is it right that I then wait for a visit form the local police?
d) then what do i get in return and from whom?
Many thanks

Category
Legal

If you have an EU passport, you don't need a permessso di soggiorno anymore. Just apply for residenza. I've seen Generali and SAI health insurance recommended.

Yes, you need all the documents you mentioned. The latest bank statement needs to show you have just over Euro5k - it's about 5200, but certainly less than 5500.
Private health insurance, we were told, is pretty much a must, I don't know where you are, but we used Bernese Assicurazioni in via aldo moro, 7, 63020 Piane di Falerone (AP). The ccost for both myself and my wife was Euro643,00 for 12 months - we could have had six months but the difference was minimal. It was a Nuova Formula Famigilia policy. The lady said to try and not have a heart attack for 30 days, as it wouldn't be covered!! This was about 18 months ago and we have not renewed it. We used it purely for residency purposes.
For that you get your certificate of residence, which you then take to your local health authority where is exchange they give you a health card and you can then register with a doctor. The other thing to do asap is to ask the comune for a carta d'identita which you are entitled to have once you have the residency document. It cost us Euro5,13, each mind!!! You will need three passport size photos for this.
The police visit took place at the comune, with the policeman asking us if we were who we said we were!!!! We said yes, Pretty straightforward for us anyway.
Hope this helps.

Buon fortunato

You seem to be pretty well clued up! You will need health insurance. There is no option now on that. You will also need proof of income or else bank statements to show that you have independent means. Different Comune interpret the regs differently. In my experience with helping people to obtain residency, it is best to ask your Comune what their minimum level of health cover is.

Yes there is still in theory a wait of approx 3 weeks for the vigili urbano to visit. At the end of it all you get a sheet of A4 paper stating that you are a resident of that Comune.
It is very simple if you can speak a few words of Italian, even a minimum will help.
Good luck pplpeople

Well thanks to all of you for your quick and very helpful replies:smile:

We are near Imola/ Bologna so if anyone knows of a recommended Insurer I can contact there, let me know ?

All I guess I need to clairify is:- :veryconfused:
a) at what stage in the process do i need to show health insurance policy cover to someone ?
b) to whom would that be

c) I will ask the local Commune as you suggest but menatime , can anyone tell me the min level of cover they have that satisfied their local authorities ( must it
cover inpatient / outpatient/ chronic illnesses/ drugs / repatriation/ dental cover ? )
d) must it be in Italian ( transalted )

[quote=Noma;121525]If you have an EU passport, you don't need a permessso di soggiorno anymore. Just apply for residenza. I've seen Generali and SAI health insurance recommended.[/quote]

That statement is correct however you do need a certificate called 'Attestazione di Regolarita' del soggiorno per i cittadini dell'unione europea N72' which has replaced the old system 'carta soggiorno CEE' in addition to your 'residenza'

This will also be issued by your comune. (you may aslo have to pay two Marca da bollo of 14.62 for this)

Thanks for the update on this , very helpful!
Would you know anything about the thread I listed at 9/25pm specifically on the healthcare ploicy perhaps?
Grazie mille :smile:

I'd ask over at [url=http://www.italymag.co.uk/community]ITALY Community | The community for lovers of all things Italian[/url]
This old forum is winding down and the members have moved to the new one.

[quote=pplpeople;121538]Thanks for the update on this , very helpful!
Would you know anything about the thread I listed at 9/25pm specifically on the healthcare ploicy perhaps?
Grazie mille :smile:[/quote]

Sorry can't help on that, i work in Italy and just provided my payslips to the comune and i got residency without a problem.

Personally, i would just pop into your local comune and they will help you understand exactly what you need.