11326 Why not Cross-country skiing?

I think it a great pity that cross-country skiing is not marketed at all in the UK. It has so many advantages and, although it requires some effort, needn't be as straneous as it seems. My 12-year old prefers cross-country to downhill as you go right up into the mountains through forests and open spaces - no waiting around for chair lifts. I love it because when my puff runs out I just clip off the skis and walk - cheating, I know, but it still enables me to see and do more, and anyway, I prefer the equipment. And as for the strong and fit they are challenged by skating uphill! So, why don't more people do it? It's much cheaper and far less dangerous than downhill, not to mention environment friendly and responsible tourism.

Category
Sports

[quote=Clover;107129]I think it a great pity that cross-country skiing is not marketed at all in the UK. It has so many advantages and, although it requires some effort, needn't be as straneous as it seems. My 12-year old prefers cross-country to downhill as you go right up into the mountains through forests and open spaces - no waiting around for chair lifts. I love it because when my puff runs out I just clip off the skis and walk - cheating, I know, but it still enables me to see and do more, and anyway, I prefer the equipment. And as for the strong and fit they are challenged by skating uphill! So, why don't more people do it? It's much cheaper and far less dangerous than downhill, not to mention environment friendly and responsible tourism.[/quote]

Hi Clover,

I was surprised to hear this and agree with you that cross-country is the way to go. Here in Vermont we have some cross-country ski centers which maintain groomed trails. They rent equipment and even have a small refreshment stand inside. We can also go in the woods outside our house or on the local golf course. My favorite winter sport, though, is snowshoeing. I love to be able to get into the deep woods where it would otherwise be very difficult to go and take my animal tracks book with me to try and figure out what critters have been there.

Perhaps you could start a new business!

The problem is that only downhill is marketed in the UK and a handful of tour ops promote cross-country with an adult target. With all our mutual economy problems, this sport would enable so many more people to get out there and enjoy sun and snow. I agree snow shoeing is good - and cheap - and where I live they go out after dark and end up having dinner together. So nice!

I'm a downhill skier, but it's a good question Clover. There's plenty round here but if I were to leave the lifts behind I'd probably go ski mountaineering more at the moment. I've just bought an avalanche bleep and need to go and learn how to use it.

I've thought about it to improve my cardio-vascular system as it would be a good addition to my football, which is taking a toll on my veteran ankles and knees, but haven't got round to it yet. Perhaps the secret for the UK market would be to have welcoming bars along the way! Perhaps a few snowy winters would help so people could use the equipment back in the UK - I've certainly seen it done, even in the far south, but not for many years.

Tried cross country skiing last year - really enjoyed it - much easier to learn than downhill
[But - still having shoulder problems a year later from overdoing the skiing]