travel insurance

mediafreak Image
04/29/2013 - 18:20

We would be glad if anyone can suggest a good travel insurance, that is available long stays, we are over 65 and want to travel to our holiday home, as and when we want and not be limited to have to return to UK after 90 days. we usually drive so have car insurance and the new ehic card.Thanks in advance for any guidance



EHIC only provides free treatment on exactly the same terms as a local of the country you are in - it does not cover all costs and importantly does not cover the cost of repatriation should that be required. Perhaps they are just looking for a complete coverage?

I think that there is a bit of confusion here regarding the difference between EHIC entitlements, which cover 3 months only in any signatary country and for emergency treatment only and the possibility for 65 + year old pensioners to transfer their health entitlements to Italy. I understand that there is some type of insurance called EHICPlus that covers certain gaps; however, I do not know much about how it would suit your requirements. Also, keep in mnd that if you stay more than 3 months, you will have to register with the local "Questura" as "free circulation" for EU citizens only allows us to stay for up to 3 months in any country without having to justify that we have means of support and will not become a burden to the host nation. One of the main issues will be health cover.