ExpatsinAscoli's activity

Questions Asked

You haven't asked any questions yet - go ahead and post a question

Comments posted

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 09:45

Hello again-  My wife pointed out a typo-  It is 90 days in a six month period in Tourist Status.  Sorry about that.A passing observation:  In Italy skirting around regulations and requirements is something of a national passtime.  In my old age, my tolerance for risk isn't what it used to be.  If there is some incident beyond our control that results in the authorities asking for our papers, I much prefer being told in less than a minute to "have a nice day."  Your Codice Fiscali (essentially your tax ID number), is required in many transactions.  It appears on your card for the National Health System (Tessera Sanitaria) and that is what is normally displayed to present that number.  You have to have official residence status to enroll in the health system, a bargain by the way particularly for us "Yanks." Going through the immigration process can be annoying to the point of frustration but for us avoiding it was not worth the worry of getting cross-wise with the authorities.  But that is us and others may like a little excitment in their lives.G'-day and Good On Yah.

Fri, 05/30/2014 - 07:38

Greetings from Ascoli Piceno, Marche.  We are American Expats who have residency in Italy as retirees. We ae coming up on our first year anniversary in Italy as residents. Our first suggestion is to go to the website of Ministero dell' Interno (The Italian Ministry of the Interior) and down load their pamphlet, in English, "Staying in Italy."  As others have pointed out, as Non-EU citizens you must have a long term stay Visa to enter for more than a 30 day stay in a six month period.  There are multiple avenues but as a retired person, you would be eligible to apply for an Elective Residence Visa. Once you enter Italy under that Visa, within eight days you are required to apply for your Permesso di Soggiorno (PdS) (Permit to Live in Italy).  The PdS is currently being issued on a two year, renewable basis.  Once the PdS is in hand you apply for your Carta D' Identita (Identification card or card of residence) at the Anagrafe (the Provincial Office that Administers residence matters).  It is a bureaucratic process but you are asking them to grant you residence in their country so in effect, you are requesting a favor.  Being patient, being sure to give them everything they want and being more patient, it does actually work in due course.  Is it worth it?  For us, we are absolutey convinced of it.  We would do it again in a heartbeat.  And we moved from southern California.  If you want to get some insight on our experiences, we have a blog:  gelatojournal.com.  Best of Luck!