12467 Birds pecking sealant

We've been told that birds are pecking at the silicon sealant around our windows which will let water in when it gets to winter and have been offered three solutions but we're not sure about them:
1. install mosquito screens - might work, quite expensive won't work on patio doors.
2. install external shutters - again very expensive and given we have internal shutters I think it is excessive (and we can't afford it)
3. put "bottiglie" outside the windows - don't understand this one at all - anyone know what it is?.

Has anybody come across this problem and how did you solve it? (we aren't happy with the work that the window people have done - doors don;t work for design and can''t be altered, didn't fit correct windows on top floor, windows don't open properly, front door is two different shades of stain etc etc so I'm not convinced by what the window people say but there are draughts coming in around the windows so there is clearly a problem)

Chris

Category
Building/Renovation

I have never ever heard of birds pecking silicon sealant. This must be some kind of a joke unless someone on here knows better.
Mosquito nets will not stop draughts. The whole point of a mosquito net is to be able to sleep with the windows open and the air conditioning off.
I presume they mean "bottiglia di Leida". If so, this was a throw-up device invented in 1745 by a professor at Leida university who was conducting early experiments into electomagnetism. It was shown, for example, that the device could transfer condensation from the inside to the outside of a wall. Many of the early devices are in museums.
I really think your builders are not being honest with you. I'm sure that the cause of your draughts are because your windows are poorly fitting. If they are made of wood you should be able to have them repaired by a competent craftsperson. Much more difficult with pvc or aluminium.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not a joke and, to clarify, the windows have silicon sealant where the glass fits into the wooden frame and large chunks of the sealant are missing. I have been told that birds have actually been seen pecking the sealant - although I haven't seen it myself.

The point of the zanzeriera, with regard to this problem, is not to stop the drafts but to stop the birds getting close enough to peck the sealant in the first place. I've now spoken to a friend in England who is a director of a window company and he says the silicon sealant should not be left visible; it should be covered with beading. I am now wondering if they used a design of windows suitable for fitting with zanzariere or external shutters..

Has anybody else got windows where you can see the silicon sealant?

PS: - does anybody know the Italian for "beading" in this context as I'm trying to explain it to the window company?

Are you sure they used Silicone as the seallant - and not bread? :bigergrin:

Perhaps there is something you can paint on the exposed sealant to stop the birds pecking it - something that tastes bitter - like that stuff used to stop someone from biting their nails.

If your windows are 'standard' double glazed pattern (somehwhat like this illustration) you shouldn't see more than half a millimetre of silicone between the glass and the woodwork. No bird could get anywhere near it!

Perhaps you are without the fermavetro (external bead to hold the glazing unit in), and your joiner has just placed a 'bead' of silicone on the outside of the window - like the old fashioned UK method where you would have used putty. Since you seem to be rather displeased with your joiner, one reason he might have done this is because he has fitted a double glazing unit with too large an air gap, so the glazing is too thick for the frames and there isn't room for a fermavetro.

[ATTACH]2740[/ATTACH]

(The illustration is of a fairly high-tech window, so don't take it all as 'typical', yours might be quite a lot simpler, without the metal internal sill cover, but the glazing detail should be the same).

I think I understand a bit better now. Would'nt it be possible to re-seal with a mastic sealer particularly made for windows (ie one that allows movement). Should be relatively easy to find in a good building merchants and then have your builders attach thin wooden strips on top (beading).

Hi JSC,
Tend to agree with Capo Boi and Charles on this,
i) If your windows are new then the most silicone that should be visible is about 1mm, and there is no way it should be proud enough so as to be able to be pecked at.... unless he made a [B]complete[/B] bodge job of fabrication, and is trying to use lavish amounts of silicone to rectify his mistakes.
2) As JC says, about the bread... I have never ever seen birds attacking silicone even where it has been used as a seal and is visible... no doubt someone will jump in and tell me that as usual they think that I am wrong.... who told you they saw birds at it, maybe it is an excuse by the builder to cover up for leaks and drafts ( Honest sir/ma'am, its not us thats at fault... its those damn birds that have done it )
3) If windows let in draughts or water, then they are wrongly made or badly fitted.
Anyway which way I try to look at it, the trail always leads back to your builder.

We too have the window eating variety of birds in our neighbourhood! We have actually seen this happening and despite attempting the Italian house renovation we remain mostly sane!

Some of our windows have external fly screens which do protect a bit, but not all. Two years down the road we have complained to the builder who came and tried a different type of silicone that birds aren't supposed to enjoy. However, on our most recent trip we did notice that the glass in some of the windows has become loose because such large chunks of silicone are missing. I don't really know where to go from here.

I have to say, our window design does not really look like it should have a wooden beading strip. Another problem to add to the long list of snags two years down the line I'm afraid!

[quote=strawberrystar;121362]We too have the window eating variety of birds in our neighbourhood! We have actually seen this happening and despite attempting the Italian house renovation we remain mostly sane!

Some of our windows have external fly screens which do protect a bit, but not all. Two years down the road we have complained to the builder who came and tried a different type of silicone that birds aren't supposed to enjoy. However, on our most recent trip we did notice that the glass in some of the windows has become loose because such large chunks of silicone are missing. I don't really know where to go from here.

I have to say, our window design does not really look like it should have a wooden beading strip. Another problem to add to the long list of snags two years down the line I'm afraid![/quote]

I am at a loss for words here, I have never heard of this before and the idea of a bird being able to grip, tear and make off with chunks of exposed silicone is mind boggling. Hope I never meet these birds of ours, they are either feathered rottweilers, or you are experiencing something from Alfred Hitchcocks "masterpiece."
Why did the builder install windows that permit the amount of leverage and twisting of a birds beak to allow this is beyond me.

I'll pass on the serious advice we received from our neighbours when I told them we lost a whole night's sleeep trying to get a rat out of a shower room (it had fallen in from a skylight).

[B][SIZE=4]Why didn't you shoot it? :laughs:[/SIZE][/B]

Its true !!!!!!!!!!!! Birds do peck it off !!!!!

We had the same problem with our windows and I complained to the company they told me about the birds and I just thought MY GOD the lies these people will tell !! But when we moved in sure enough a MAGPIE visited us every morning screaming outside and pecking away at the window !!!! I told my business partner and he said it is when they see their own reflection in the window, so open the shutters (if they are inside) and they will stop or put something in the window ie. a doll or teddy bear.

We have done this and they have stopped (opened the shutters).