12473 Persephone's Story

I am posting this on the Introduce Yourself Thread, because it now seems appropriate to finish where I started.

I joined the forum January 2008 and I am leaving it today.

I did nothing for a long time, but eventually plucked up the courage to make my first post 16th September 2008. I had my own face as an avatar and my introduction was to tell the forum that I was an artist and I proudly posted my website link.

Very early on I had my first ‘spat’ (with Adriatica, but no grudges mate) about whether we should or should not have an artist’s sub-forum/listing somewhere. Admin made promises and nothing happened.

I started to learn.

I dabbled in a few threads, both giving and receiving information and my first forum Christmas was amazing because I started to fall in love with the ‘characters’ on the forum. Remember the Flame Warriors Thread, The Avatar Thread, Twelve Days of Christmas…. I made friends and started to enjoy myself.

I already personally know Lakeland and Cinghers (and I am of course, married to Ghianda), but I became virtual friends with LisaC (sorry I have not written for a while) and recently made new friends such as Moxie. I have also thoroughly enjoyed sharing a fag behind the bicycle sheds with JC.

I wish I had befriended Aretina and Pilch, I wish I knew more about Annec. I would love CaroleB living in my village. I would love to have Lollita over for tea and I would like Mrs Oneto15 to bring the cakes.

My next house will be a collaborative design project between Charles Phillips, Geotherm and Lotan4850 (assuming they all get on). The gardens of the house will have hardy bushes with pretty flowers and its own enclave for abandoned animals.

I love the olive oil threads, I thoroughly enjoyed It’s Late and I’m bored, I like anything to do with Italian food. I laughed and laughed and laughed at the RyanAir threads but I cried when I read the Fat Thread.

I learnt (painfully) to avoid politics and religion.

My own best thread was Agony Auntie Perspehone.

Over a year later, I don’t promote myself as an artist, I have permanently removed my website link and my avatar has become a grotesque cartoon face.

So. What happened?

I got my fingers burnt on more than one occasion. Fun threads were hijacked and Auntie Persephone became a viral rash all over the forum. But still, I dusted myself off, learnt a few lessons and carried on posting.

The goodwill came back and peaked with the fundraising efforts. But the higher you climb, the harder you fall.

The fundraiser crashed, because of other ‘stuff’ going on. ‘Stuff’ I cannot even pretend to know about. But even then I managed to keep my head and stuck to the ‘fights’ I thought I understood and I thought were right.

One of those ‘fights’ became the campaign for a fundraising forum.

Promises were made and promises were broken and for me, this is actually where the real damage happened.

In all my time on the forum I have only ever ONCE sent a PM to Ronald, it was not a trivial matter and he did not respond. I have since registered on the new community link and I have not received an email confirmation, I have sent a PM to ask admin to check that I wrote down my correct email and I have not received a reply. Other people seem to know who is on a list, even mentioning my name. I know nothing.

Yes, I may have helped with the downfall of the forum, yes, I have larked around in the Circolo and yes I invented a hamster that ran amok in the main forum, but at least if I did help to bring the forum down, I did it with some panache.

Ronald, however, you [I]did[/I] bring the forum down and have done so with no grace whatsoever.

I believe in sincerity, integrity and creativity and I am getting cold feet about this new community. A community were noone has the courtesy to respond, a community where others seem to know things before I do. A community where I may be reluctant to speak my mind.

This Italy Magazine Forum now has the clear smell of The Titanic and that is not the forum I joined, so after careful consideration I have decided to grab one of the First Class Lifeboats and get the hell out of here. In the past, I have wondered why I hung around so long at people’s parties when I wasn’t enjoying myself and I’m not going to make that mistake this time.

Arrivederci - see you in Cyberspace

Persephone.

P.S. If anyone is interested in keeping in touch and/or coming to my Private View, in Bergamo, 4th June, please PM me as I shall check on this for a little while longer.

Category
Circolo di Conversazione

Well said, Persephone:yes:

I think you have clearly expressed the joys and sadness this forum has brought to you. I feel much the same and share your concerns over the 'community'. Something about it is a tad totalitarian for me but time will tell.

I look forward to seeing/reading/hearing from you in the future in one place or another:smile:

R

Hi Aunty P

It's never to late to befriend...

And huge Good Lucks with your show.

At the moment I feel a real sense of loss and what I have seen so far in the Piazza, does not make me feel it's a place I want to spend time in. OK, early days - but it doesn't feel right. I have pm'd you.

Best wishes
Aretina

Persephone, I have enjoyed many of your posts tremendously. It will be a real loss to not have you around.

What a lovely post. So well written, it was a joy to read.
Before you go, can you give him/them the benefit of the doubt? It seems like Ronald is working really, really hard on things in the new community and I'm sure has been inundated.. it is also still being beta-tested, it isn't finished yet, all sorts of things are still wonky while Ronald is trying to sort it out.
Are you sure your auto-response didn't end up in your junk mail folder? Mine did... I also wasn't approved for a while and had to make a bit of noise before I was.
If you decide not to come over, it will be a real shame, because you are lovely and great fun, and that goes for Ghianda too. Why not give it a try?
Puhlease? (bats eyelashes)

Percy - I really enjoyed your Agony Aunt thread - lighthearted, clever banter at its best. I'm sure you'll find there's plenty of room for that in the new place, and hope that after an inevitable grieving period you'll feel like participating.

Aunty P was probably one of the funniest most creative pieces of writing that I have seen on the forum...and I have been around a long time, so perhaps after a break you might like to come back, and make us laugh again?.
A

I can only echo all the great comments esp. re Aunty P which I loved......I hope we bump into one another in Luni someday

[B][U]To Percy[/U][/B]
[B][/B]
I won't let you leave me in cyberspace, I won't :no:

Why?

[SIZE=4][B]Because you are too precious to lose.[/B][/SIZE]

Oh I do hate swansongs - even one as sad as this.

Hi - I activated your account last night. I realise that it was much slower than others but it was an honest oversight. With more than 80 people coming through plus everything up in the air I am sorry I skipped yours. I just double checked now and it is active.

However, I understand that sometimes enough is enough - and at this point in time words have nothing close to the value of missed actions.

Don't be sad , don't be blue,
It won't be nice without you.

You are listed Persephone and your OH. I reckon there is so much to do with all the people joining that they are finding it hard to cope with. New things always take time to settle into and everyone feels a bit like a 'fish out of water' but it will settle down and hopefully a better place than this has been lately. You could do with a holiday - I can recommend super place in northern Tuscany!! :yes:

Joy

An incredibly sincere last (?) post that truly sums up the current Italy Mag with all its glories and warts.

Perce - you've hit the nail on the head and one small section - is an almost exact mirror image of my thoughts and for me 'said it all...'

[quote]I got my fingers burnt on more than one occasion. Fun threads were hijacked and Auntie Persephone became a viral rash all over the forum. [I][B]But still, I dusted myself off, learnt a few lessons and carried on posting.[/B][/I]

The goodwill came back and peaked with the fundraising efforts. But the higher you climb, the harder you fall.

The fundraiser crashed, because of other ‘stuff’ going on. ‘Stuff’ I cannot even pretend to know about. But even then I managed to keep my head and stuck to the ‘fights’ I thought I understood and I thought were right.

[I][B]One of those ‘fights’ became the campaign for a fundraising forum.

Promises were made and promises were broken and for me, this is actually where the real damage happened. [/B][/I] [/quote]I too wish you, and many others 'lived in my village'. I would love to meet JC and Nielo as I'm absolutely convinced that while they might both have a pretty powerful 'bark' - neither are dishonest or malicious.

I too have joined 'over there, and my application was accepted very quickly with a caveat that I must not transport any of my recently voiced concerns into the new arena or I would not be accepted. I accepted that and will do my level best to 'toe the line' because at the end of the day I have always enjoyed being part of Italy Mag Forums.

I'm saying this because now Ronald has 'owned up' - and that's got to be almost a first - (she says whilst *ducking* ), you are a valid, accepted member of the "all New IM Community". At least give it a chance - many of us have taken what Ronnie calls 'that leap of faith' - join us and we can stumble around together trying to find out just what is what and where it is!

N.B. The Valtellina is pretty nice too for holidays!!!!

Percy, whether you decide to join is entirely your choice.

I would say that I have been a member here for over three years and in that time things have only gone from bad to worse and I personally don’t think a change of wall paper is going to do the trick. The new place will be the same people (well not all), with the same baggage and under the same management.

This is not the only Italy based forum, and there are plenty of others to chose from.

Ones which do not require your full address and google map reference before you are allowed to use the site fully. Ones where you will not be attacked or ignored.

I shall not be joining the new Stepford Plaza but I will keep in touch with the people I like on another forum. Maybe I’ll see you there?

Anyway best of luck with the art exhibition, I hope it is a roaring success.

Persephone, that was a poignant read, made all the more so because in many ways it mirrors my own experiences and emotions here ... I even had a disagreement very shortly after joining with "adriatica", but afterwards held no grudge for him/her.
There are many people here (including quite a few names that may surprise certain members) that I trust and count as friends, there are others that I respect but usually disagree with. there are sadly others who I would never ever want to meet... it is this last group that is preventing me joining you and other friends on the new forum.
Maybe at some stage in the future, some of us will be granted the opportunity to actually put faces on names.
I the meantime I wish you luck on the new forum, new friends and a new start.

There is an old Irish blessing that I will give you now, one that I feel is particularly appropriate here, esp with the recent sad events in Abruzzo
"May the roof of you home never fall in, and may the friends that gather there never fall out"
:sad:

[quote=Nielo;121350]

Ones which do not require your full address and google map reference before you are allowed to use the site fully. Ones where you will not be attacked or ignored.
[/quote]

I know you are not going to join but at least get the facts straight. It does not require your full address and google map reference. You can choose to provide a reference if you want others to find out where you are. it's a way to connect. these forums had a map as well.

What we need to improve is specify that what we mean by fully filling in your profile is not that you have to enter the whole exact address but it would be nice to show people more or less (especially if in Italy) where you are located, would like to be located, enjoy being.

that is all

Two posts in two hours! We are honoured sir!

Should we all grazie you - or would that be considered (ph)sycophantic behaviour? :swoon:

[quote=juliancoll;121360]Two posts in two hours! We are honoured sir!

Should we all grazie you - or would that be considered (ph)sycophantic behaviour? :swoon:[/quote]

I'm just off to football training. I'm a player but if I were a referee I'd book you for back-chat!

If I were a 'Mister' I'd then drop you from the next match for talking yourself into the book!!:bigergrin:

[quote=sueflauto;121371]I'm just off to football training. I'm a player but if I were a referee I'd book you for back-chat!

If I were a 'Mister' I'd then drop you from the next match for talking yourself into the book!![/quote]

As we're nearing the end of the season :sad: and this league has been scuttled :madd: by the F-A (think about it), :winki: I don't think that there would be much point in worrying about the odd booking. That having been said if there were an end of season pogrom and it's looking increasingly likely Then if and when JC was convicted of bringing the game into disrepute, I feel sure there would be a goodly number of fellow professionals willing to chip in toward any fine. :smile:

Persephone may not be joining the new 'community'.

But what about Persephone's Hamster?

Has s/he decided yet?

I think we should know - certainly an asset!

Percy, I do hope that we will be seeing you in the new community. I may not be one of your obvious choices as a friend, but I appreciated your input and your sense of humour. I would not like to see anyone go but there are changes which will not suit everyone.
Blessings from Padre and Mother Superior and best regards to the hamster from his pal Ninja Bun-Bun (who is real).

[quote=Carole B;121348]An incredibly sincere last (?) post that truly sums up the current Italy Mag with all its glories and warts.

Perce - you've hit the nail on the head and one small section - is an almost exact mirror image of my thoughts and for me 'said it all...'

I too wish you, and many others 'lived in my village'. I would love to meet JC and Nielo as I'm absolutely convinced that while they might both have a pretty powerful 'bark' - neither are dishonest or malicious.

I too have joined 'over there, and my application was accepted very quickly with a caveat that I must not transport any of my recently voiced concerns into the new arena or I would not be accepted. I accepted that and will do my level best to 'toe the line' because at the end of the day I have always enjoyed being part of Italy Mag Forums.

I'm saying this because now Ronald has 'owned up' - and that's got to be almost a first - (she says whilst *ducking* ), you are a valid, accepted member of the "all New IM Community". At least give it a chance - many of us have taken what Ronnie calls 'that leap of faith' - join us and we can stumble around together trying to find out just what is what and where it is!

N.B. The Valtellina is pretty nice too for holidays!!!![/quote]

Carole, I thought your recently voiced concerns were the lack of response from Admin, If you are not allowed to voice them does that mean Adnin has agreed to respond to you or just to keep quiet if you are ignored?

[quote=ronald;121359]I know you are not going to join but at least get the facts straight. It does not require your full address and google map reference. You can choose to provide a reference if you want others to find out where you are. it's a way to connect. these forums had a map as well.

What we need to improve is specify that what we mean by fully filling in your profile is not that you have to enter the whole exact address but it would be nice to show people more or less (especially if in Italy) where you are located, would like to be located, enjoy being.

that is all[/quote]

Thank you for this very speedy clarification Ronald.

Perhaps you could let everyone know exactly what details members will be expected to provide in order to have fully completed the profile and to be awarded the full member privileged status.:veryconfused:

I didn't even know that the forum was closing and moving over to the new community - can I ask a sensible question - what will happen to the wealth of info that is here and which from time to time we all refer back to (via seach function or by other members pointing us in the right direct)
Chris

[quote=Persephone;121315]
P.S. If anyone is interested in keeping in touch and/or coming to my Private View, in Bergamo, 4th June, please PM me as I shall check on this for a little while longer.[/quote]

Hi Percy,

I do hope you reconsider and get involved with the new community. I've enjoyed your posts immensely and besides, we still need to get that artist guide going! I certainly understand your frustration and was pretty disappointed myself that nothing ever came of this request despite being promised a wiki site to get this going.

Wish we could make it to your show in Bergamo but as we're unable to, in bocca al lupo. Please stay in touch and when we're going to be back in your area we'll definitely contact you. I'll send you a pm in the meantime.

Lisa

[quote=jepsonclough;121378] - can I ask a sensible question - what will happen to the wealth of info that is here and which from time to time we all refer back to
Chris[/quote]

This is the Forum! - 'sensible' questions need to be directed to the 'Community':laughs:!

Seriously though, we have been reassured that the content of the Forum will remain accessable:yes:.

Dear Persephone,
I'm just awaiting the answer to one question before I submit my request to join the new one.
Your latest post seems to have touched many heart strings including one of mine.
IMHO I think that this Forum has showed it's community spirit since 6th April with the perentage of members who have donated time, money, brain power, cessation of hostilities, humour to the cause of actually doing something for those people living in Tendopoli. I have been slammed for bullying people into taking part. For me it is simple. The fund raising sub forum promise is not all that matters but is the most important thing.
Anyway Mrs P, I'll see you either in the Care of the Community or Uncovered ( If I'll be allowed).

I think you will be welcomed by both :winki:

Thank you cat in a judo suit.
Having been assured of a fund raising group, I've just applied.

Percy, didn't realise you were having show in Bergamo, I am close by and will try to come. Can you post the details here where, when etc (probably you have already somewhere else and I missed it?)

Regarding subforums etc for funds, artists' groups etc, I still don't fully understand the new set up but it seems to me the perfect place for such things, which members can set up themselves. I think in coming up with this "community" Ronald has also been taking into consideration the requests and promises that were made. Check it out. It does take some getting used to but I think it really could work.

There is a still not an artists' and photographers group and wiki... it's just waiting for someone to go and set one up.... ;-)

[quote=sueflauto;121371]I'm just off to football training. I'm a player but if I were a referee I'd book you for back-chat!

If I were a 'Mister' I'd then drop you from the next match for talking yourself into the book!!:bigergrin:[/quote]

Back chat is my trademark Sue - but don't let not being a "mister" stop you from dropping me 'cus I aint a "mister" either - so I'd just drop you right back. Gotta admit it though - no one grazied Ron for that post. Cant imagine why - 'cus it aint really because of anything I said. We all know that no one listens to a word I say. :laughs:

[quote=gardahomes;121418]There is a still not an artists' and photographers group and wiki... it's just waiting for someone to go and set one up.... ;-)[/quote]
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a wiki?

[quote=Noma;121425]Pardon my ignorance, but what is a wiki?[/quote]

A wiki is essentially a post that other people can edit. Sounds disastrous I know but have a look at wikipedia...wikipedia is like an encyclopedia of "wikis" (editable posts) where different people collaborate to create informative content.

So someone could set up an artists' group, and its members can create a little "wikipedia" within that group of information, and make it public or keep it private.

PS every edit made is recorded and the person doing the editing can give their reasons for the edit. For example, if someone has created about restaurants in Milan, and provided an incorrect phone number, someone can correct that phone number and enter a note to say that's why they revised the content.

Well, I have joined this new forum, I never quite understood what was the problem with the old one, nor have I understood any of the wee quarrels going on and just kept myself out of them. I haven't really looked at the new forum yet (what's the point, with the old one still going on), but today my e-mail inbox was completely clogged up with 45 e-mails about new posts on it. I don't want to be informed about every single post. I'm on still on a slow dial-up connection and this makes it even slower. If this is the way it's going to be I'm also going to leave the only forum I ever joined. Persephone; farewell, I hope we'll see each other in REAL life sometime, I'd love to see your paintings and I'm sure you can exhibit them around our palazzo sometime.

If I understand correctly, the email glut was a growing pain- if it happens again, Unsubscribing from All fixes it.

yes you don't have to receive any emails if you don't want to. It's just a question of ticking the right box.
Remember everyone this is still a beta testing phase that we are all involved in and there have been some huge improvements over the past 48 hours or so.

[quote=gardahomes;121418]There is a still not an artists' and photographers group and wiki... it's just waiting for someone to go and set one up.... ;-)[/quote]

Thanks Garda,

When I have a chance, I'll look into creating an artist group unless someone else already has, in addition to a wiki site. What I had envisioned, though, was an Italy-wide guide to artists and artisans that would be readily visible so anyone visiting the site could easily find it. Any members having knowledge of a local artist would be able to contribute to the guide. My initial idea was for anyone living in or visiting Italy to help support the artists by being able to visit with the them , which is always a lot of fun and purchasing directly from them.

I haven't spent any time perusing the new site yet so don't know if it's possible to have something in the general area instead of within a group.

Ronald, would you be able to weigh in on this?

Lisa

Hi - by default if you post something in the group it is only visible to members of that group. However, you can tick a box that says Public which will make your post visible to everyone else as well (even people not registered in the community).

So you could create a group called "Artists in Italy" and make public just the posts that refer to artists (using the Location, Topic and Tag categories to organise them) while posts that refer to group management or other not necessarily public issues remained within the group membership.

Regarding the e-mails I truly apologise - everyone is automatically enrolled in the Help Group (for obvious reasons) the only problem is that until yesterday everyone was also automatically signed up to receive notifications. Highly annoying I realise. The default is now set to off - but the brave beta testers had to endure some unpleasantness...

I agree with heiko, apart from the odd disagreement, (which were sometimes entertaining) the forum has been absolutely great and as it seems Ronald is the only one who did'nt like it why are we all being kicked out? perhaps he should go and then we can all stay.

It would be great to have a place where artists resident in Italy can put on what they're up to, so people visiting the area can come and see their work. A network for artists would really be great too so we can exchange information. It would be best if we were allowed to post things we're involved in, so that the public can have access to this information not just members of the specific group.

It be great if you took this on Persephone.