12298 Orzo - don't buy it

Left to fend for myself the last few days, I have managed to run out of coffee.

Found a jar of Nescafe someone gave us as a joke a few years back, but there was no way I was stooping that low.

Deep in the bowells of the cantina I found a packet of Orzo. Tried it and can report "Yuck" - might as well have been macinated Orso dung.

I know there are clear camps on the Marmite thing, and just wondered how the forum shaped up on this particular matter of conseqence?

Go vote on the survey

Category
Food & Drink

Terrible, awful, undrinkable potion. And I must report that it is raining over many areas of Europe. I am sick of this weather. Now, where is my coffee fix.....

I got confused with so many options, so I voted for all of them. :wideeyed:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orzo]Orzo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

The stuff is really and truly 'scussting'

We want the sun... We want the sun... We want the sun

[quote=Moxie;118991]

We want the sun... We want the sun... We want the sun[/quote]

It's sunny here. Almost. :yes:

Well there ya go....Just proves how different we all are. I gave up fresh brewed caffe latte for my breakfast sometime ago. Still [I]loooove[/I] my espresso after lunch and supper (couldn't do without 'em) and that's it.

My breakfast drink for sometime has been soluble caffe/orzo in hot milk... I buy a german version. Orzo on it's own is, I agree, pretty dire (not to say blo*dy awful) - but a bowl of strong caffe/orzo I really [U][I]do[/I][/U] enjoy! :yes:

[quote=juliancoll;118990]I got confused with so many options, so I voted for all of them. :wideeyed:[/quote]

haha - JC

1. read the post
2. assimilate info
3. establish what is being asked
4. evaluate against personal experience
5. form an opinion
6. press all buttons :laughs:

You're richer than the Orzo itself :smile:

[quote=Moxie;118991][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orzo"]Orzo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

The stuff is really and truly 'scussting'

We want the sun... We want the sun... We want the sun[/quote]

Moximilliana

thanks for the link from which I have lifted (out of context needless to say) the following [B][I][U]"Although traditionally considered a [/U][/I][/B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee"][B][I]coffee[/I][/B][/URL][B][I][U] substitute for children"[/U][/I][/B]

Seems like a fair swap to me. :laughs:

Am now enjoying watching the box of Orzo flare in the mighty Termostufa

[quote=Ghianda;119000]Moximilliana

thanks for the link from which I have lifted (out of context needless to say) the following [B][I][U]"Although traditionally considered a [/U][/I][/B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee"][B][I]coffee[/I][/B][/URL][B][I][U] substitute for children"[/U][/I][/B]

Am now enjoying watching the box of Orzo flare in the mighty Termostufa[/quote]

Agree with you there 100% I would prefer coffee to them anyday, even if it's O'Leary's £3 a shot.:yes:

[quote=Ghianda;118999]haha - JC

1. read the post
2. assimilate info
3. establish what is being asked
4. evaluate against personal experience
5. form an opinion
6. press all buttons :laughs:

You're richer than the Orzo itself :smile:[/quote]

You want me to read and assimilate the info, establish the question, evaluate my personal experiences and form an opinion - all at the same time?

No, no, but I can just about manage to press every button there is. :bigergrin:

[quote=Ghianda;119000] [B][I][U]"Although traditionally considered a [/U][/I][/B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee"][B][I]coffee[/I][/B][/URL][B][I][U] substitute for children"[/U][/I][/B]

[/quote]

Sigh. Now we have childist comments. But of course, it isn't the parents' fault, it's all down to some glands.....:SLEEP:

"moved to italiauncovered.co.uk"

Is it like Milo or Ovaltine ?(YUK)

[quote=Torchiarolan;119020]Jinty, you were the 12th to vote and still only 9 ticked the fed up of the rain box[/quote]

I hate to tell you this but it's NOT RAINING here :laughs:.....(in Glasgow)
I even have my washing out...sorry...

[quote=Jinty;119017]Is it like Milo or Ovaltine ?(YUK)[/quote]

Oh noooh Ovaltine is (was) lovely. It's what made me the man I am today.....

that and my genes, sound thrashings with sticks from a brutal father, Starsky and Hutch, National Geographic magazine, Wham, Cider and repeatedly being stuffed against my wishes in the over-head lockers by Torch. :bigergrin:

Don't tell fibs Gander - we all know the magazines you read as a child were not the National Geographic.

[quote=Torchiarolan;119030]Do you mind re-phrasing that Ghianda ??:wideeyed:[/quote]

Did my grammar let me down or my humour? :smile:

[quote=Torchiarolan;119057]No its just the mental image it conjures up that I am trying to dispel..... besides space in limited in those overhead lockers[/quote]

I spent my early months in a small, crowded dark space and I'm quite bendy for me age.

I find the trick to Orzo is make it strong, strong, strong and have it with milk and sugar.

I have 3 spoonfuls in a mug if the caffeine buzz is making me jittery but I want a hot drink.

It's better than decaff which really is pants:eek:

[quote=Charles Phillips;119006]Sigh. Now we have childist comments. But of course, it isn't the parents' fault, it's all down to some glands.....:SLEEP:[/quote]

Couldn't resist this :winki:

Watch over a lovely cup of orzo :eerr:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBa7cVmyMlw&NR=1"]YouTube - best advert ever[/ame]

my husband brings it back from Italy as he can't get it in England. I don't like coffee and won't try anything that purports to being a coffee like drink.

Blame Sebastiano as he first tried it last year when we stayed at his B&B and my husband declined coffee late at night - now he brings it back every time we visit Italy (in the space taken up by my English decaf teabags cos the Italian ones I've tried aren't just weak they are helpless:winki:)

Judging from the comments here though I don't think there is a great business opportunity opening up orzo shops (along the lines of Starbucks) in England:laughs: - oh well will have to carry on being a wage slave.

Chris

Hello JepsonClough, there is a revolting orzo drink available in England, Barley Cup. I don't know that it's exactly as is sold here but it IS authentically nasty. Try health food stores.:yes:
In Sarnano in August, there is a "medieval" restuarent, with only foods that would have been available in some dim and rosey past. Anyway, to finish the meal there is only blasted ORZO. It does have a use though, to make an even worse drink bearable (almost) Genziana.:nah:

Ha ha ha ha haaa The evils of "health" food!:yes:
Stick with lard,caffeine,sugar! Substitutes always seem to end up being far more dangerous than the original!
:eerr:

But, what is "Orzo"? It is a blen of barley, malt, rye and chicory roasted to simulate coffee. These substitutes for real coffee have been used for quite a while, particularly during wars, etc., when the real coffee beans were scarce. Chicory has also been used traditionally as an additive to coffee to reinforce the flavour. The French and also the Spaniards use it combined with real coffee to make "latte" for breakfast. Now, there are claims that chicory can cause retinal tissue damage. So give me all the caffeine in the world any time!

Ahh.. caffeine!

Was talking (PMing actually, but you know what I mean) with another member and somehow we got onto the subject of coffee. They drink a 12 cup Moka pot in one hit.

I was in total awe! :notworthy:

[quote=Gala Placidia;119130]But, what is "Orzo"? It is a blen of barley, malt, rye and chicory roasted to simulate coffee. These substitutes for real coffee have been used for quite a while, particularly during wars, etc., when the real coffee beans were scarce. Chicory has also been used traditionally as an additive to coffee to reinforce the flavour. The French and also the Spaniards use it combined with real coffee to make "latte" for breakfast. Now, there are claims that chicory can cause retinal tissue damage. So give me all the caffeine in the world any time![/quote]
I've read that during the US Civil War, the soldiers drank "coffee" made from ground roasted acorns. Haven't tried it, but sounds awful.:nah:

[quote=DavidUno;119111] there is a revolting orzo drink available in England, Barley Cup. I don't know that it's exactly as is sold here but it IS authentically nasty. Try health food stores.:yes:
:[/quote]

Don't think I'm going to tell him about that - I'll let him savour the orzo he brings back from trips to Italy (oh but I forgot to pack it when we left last week so he only has half a tub to last until early June :laughs:)

Chris

[quote=Noma;119139]I've read that during the US Civil War, the soldiers drank "coffee" made from ground roasted acorns. Haven't tried it, but sounds awful.:nah:[/quote]

I feel threatened all of a sudden :laughs:

I think it was your syntax Ghianda...

I'm pleased to say that I've never tried Orzo, at least not as I drink. Mind you, I hate coffee despite growing up in Italy. At uni I always made the mistake of saying no when I was invited upstairs for coffee, which probably explains a lot!

I can manage Ovaltine, though...

Orrzo is disgusting but a great replacement for my chldren who want cappucino like Mummy...they dont mind it. However I bought some to make at home and it was not so successful..I think for my kids its the bar experience that makes it taste ok