12280 Urgent Scientific Research

Haha - got you with that title.

I need your help please to help me decide if I am living in the right place. Yes I love much about where I am now, Lunigiana, North Tuscany e.g. the sense of being back in the 1950's but I have to say this winter has got my fainting goat.

It is raining again, it's 12° outside and 17° inside, but because of the wet it feels like the reverse. At this point I have no heating on and am just coping with two decent layers of clothing (my wife's, she's away).

So what I want to know please is: (and I suggest you use the quote button when replying and then edit a bit to keep the format going)

[LIST=1]
[*]Your location in Italy
[*]The outside temperature and inside temperature
[*]Do you have any heating on, if so what type
[*]How many layers of clothing are you wearing on your upper body
[*]Whether it is raining, snowing, sunning, spitting dwarfs or whatever
[*]What the most appealing thing is about where you live/have a house
[*]I own some furniture (just to be relevant to the forum) :smile:
[/LIST]Go on join in please :bigergrin:

Category
Furniture

Ghianda:
1) Amandola, Marche
2) 14.7 ......... 19.0
3) Heat pump currently running
4) Light sweatshirt
5) Light rain
6) Views and the heating system
7) Too much

[LIST=1]
[/LIST]Go on join in please :bigergrin:[/QUOTE]

My location Umbria above Lago Trasimeno
Outside Temp 10C inside 20C
Heating on ...Gas (paid loads to have a pipeline laid from the village supply tank, about 600mts away)
Two layers. (No vest so not as bad as real winter)
Raining (poor dear friends on holiday here).
The location where our house actually is and 5 mins walk to idyllic hill top village.
I own antique furniture:laughs:

[LIST=1]
[*]Amandola, Marche
[*]13 outside and 18 inside (just this room though)
[*]Got the stufa going with the doors open so we can feel it
[*]Thick wooly polo neck OH has same and a t-shirt on
[*]Drizzle
[*]It's right next door to the bar:laughs:
[*]I own some furniture and if it carries on this cold it might end up on that stufa
[/LIST]

1: Umbria close to Lake Trasimeno (but at least 350m lower than Noble, and nearer to the water)
2: 16 outside 22 inside
3: No (but did cook something which took 20mins on the hob)
4: 1 light wool jumper
5: Dull - no stars showing
6: 30mins Perugia, 1.2hr Porta di Roma, 1hr Siena, 10mins big food shops, 2 mins bar
7: Mies Van der Rohe, Le Corbusier, Marcel Breuer, Carlo Scarpa (pleased you didn't ask about the light fittings!)

"moved to italiauncovered.co.uk"

[quote=Jinty;118595]I now need to know about the light fittings.....[/quote]

Answer my questions first Jinty:bigergrin:

Nice furniture Charles..........Switched car on to get outside temperature OH says more likely 11C. Rain just drizzle now..dog very wet though.

Torchi I quote you ...My god, but don't you meet all sorts on this forum,.. Ghianda streaking in the olives when the missus is around, and admitting to cross-dressing when she's not around to control him. I must say that you lead a rich and varied life Ghianda.

IF HIS WIFE WAS HERE he could think of a better way of entertaining himself and that keeps him very warm at the same time. I'm sure:laughs:

[quote=Noble;118606]Nice furniture Charles..........Switched car on to get outside temperature OH says more likely 11C. Rain just drizzle now..dog very wet though.

Torchi I quote you ...My god, but don't you meet all sorts on this forum,.. Ghianda streaking in the olives when the missus is around, and admitting to cross-dressing when she's not around to control him. I must say that you lead a rich and varied life Ghianda.

[B]IF HIS WIFE WAS HERE he could think of a better way of entertaining himself and that keeps him very warm at the same time. I'm sure:laughs:[/quote][/B]

You're right there Nobes - she'd have me running up and down 2 flights of stairs for this, and then that. "No no that one, the blue one, no the big blue one". :bigergrin:

[LIST=1]
[*]I'm in Glasgow but my heart is in Italy
[*]It's braw
[*]No the OH turned it off to save money for Italy
[*]One layer (sorry)
[*]It's dry but wait 20 minutes
[*]The fridge with the wine in it is close to my computer
[*]I LOVE furniture -so I need to know about Charles's light fittings!! :smile:
[/LIST]

[LIST=1]
[*]Marche
[*]Outside 12 degrees inside 16 degrees
[*]Run out of wood - no heat (see no7)
[*]4 layers topped off with (and him)'s biggest sniggly
[*]Spitting but no dwarves yet
[*]Spectacular views loads of grounds
[*]We want Charles' furniture as we burned the last of ours a week ago:smile:
[/LIST]

OK, here I go...

Your location in Italy
Currently not in Italy - I wish I was in Bagni di Lucca - but in the North of Spain

The outside temperature and inside temperature
Inside 22 degrees, outside 13 degrees

Do you have any heating on, if so what type
Yes, central heating.

How many layers of clothing are you wearing on your upper body
Pyjamas and a Robe

Whether it is raining, snowing, sunning, spitting dwarfs or whatever
Raining cats and dogs for the last three days. Sick of it!

What the most appealing thing is about where you live/have a house
The terrace, but I can't use it because it's wet.

I own some furniture (just to be relevant to the forum)
Most of it antique and inherited. But I love all of them.

Hee hee! Most of my furniture wouldn't burn.

And, just to be extremely politically incorrect - what the eff is wrong with proper lightbulbs in the winter? Of course, they throw out as much heat as light - but that just keeps the gas-bill down....in the summer, maybe, if you have to live in a dull place like Glasgow (or California (could that be right?) those dim gloomy things which are now called light bulbs might be marginally useful, but PERLEASE.

Of aesthetic necessity I have stockpiled the only bulbs which Achille Castiglione considered appropriate for his ouevres, and fortunately the likes of Richard Sapper employed decent halogens from motor cars (and they haven't got you putting low energies into headlights...YET) - but (as a collector of lamps) I'm really rather impressed by some of the Philips art LED jobbies (at something over €500 apiece). I do have a rather dinky early Philips low energy Arts Council competition winner, circa 1970, and it has only had one bulb replacement in 40 years!

Wish I hadn't asked now......I was hoping for sooooo much more....

[quote=Charles Phillips;118629]Hee hee! Most of my furniture wouldn't burn.

Why? Is it plastic????

[quote=Jinty;118636][quote=Charles Phillips;118629]Hee hee! Most of my furniture wouldn't burn.

Why? Is it plastic????[/quote]

Nah - the inflatable stuff - when it was de rigeur - didn't survive the cats!!! (Which is a big consideration for me: furniture must NOT be scratchable!)

[quote=Charles Phillips;118638][quote=Jinty;118636]

Nah - the inflatable stuff - when it was de rigeur - didn't survive the cats!!! (Which is a big consideration for me: furniture must NOT be scratchable!)[/quote]

Gosh you're older than I thought funny thing these forums........

It is now raining short hairy men in funny hats and pink trousers
:winki:

1) 3km ouside of Sarnano (Sibillini slopes)
2) Inside 14, outside a bit cooler, maybe the same but look at the time!
3) No
4) 2 layers of clothing, but I contain a huge meal, wine and rum.
5) It is not raining!!! Had drizzle for the last several hours.
6) Tranquility..most of the year and also close to the liveliest town around here. Maybe not. Possibly the going to see some friends, being whisked off to buy some trout, gutting and smoking 'em then eating them:eeeek:.
7) My wardrobe is brilliant. (No Sòà+èò°°i you can't have it....It's at least a double).

1) Penna San Giovanni (40mins to either the mountains or the sea)
2) Inside 18, outside 15, but outside will improve soon (please!!)
3) Yes...............evening only Stufas
4) 3 layers of clothing, 2 long sleeved.
5) We are (most of the last week) 'in the cloud'.........I hear the scenery is 'nice'!!
6) Peace and tranquility, feast at lunchtime...new friends, preparing for 'old' friends who visit, looking forward to them going!!
7) Clothes are generally our 'slobby' bits although soon the legs will be on show (oo-err!) and obviously the old black socks and sandals...........if I just had a little wardrobe??

[LIST=1]
[*]Near Umbertide in the hills.
[*]11 c outside 21 inside.
[*]Stufa and solar only - gas boiler turned off.
[*]T shirt and fleece.
[*]Raining again
[*]Awesome views and local scenery. Big houses for little money. Frenetic social scene. Calm and sparse traffic. Quick trains to Florence and Rome.
[*]Seem to have ended up with a credenza collection 1-4 doors inclusive.
[/LIST]

[quote=Ghianda;118564]Haha - got you with that title.

So what I want to know please is: (and I suggest you use the quote button when replying and then edit a bit to keep the format going)

[LIST=1]
[/LIST]Go on join in please :bigergrin:[/quote]

1. Arezzo,Southern Tuscany
2. 16o C outside, 20oC inside
3. At moment oilfired central heating in the main house and gas central heating in one of the cottages. It is blisteringly expensive!! Also used almost 100 quintale of wood this year. Fire was going from mid October to a couple of days ago. The log mountain was over head height and stretched for 5-6 metres x 1-2 metres!! The only thing though - because we are now considered almost family by lovely Luigi, our woodman, the wood costs less per quintale each year!!
4. At moment just one cotton layer, exhausted and hot having cleaned our apartment - having stopped the open fire we had to Spring Clean. It's the top floor of an old Tuscan farmhouse.
5. At moment 'sunny intervals,' outside the intervals - grey clouds!
6. I can sit up in bed and look straight down onto the city of Arezzo, it is quiet, beautiful, just big enough and just small enough for us to live in and have a business.
7. Yes,we own some furniture, much of it brought from the UK but bought some lovey pieces from the Arezzo antiques fair.

[quote=Torchiarolan;118613]Ah Noble, but would she join in with him ?? :bigergrin:[/quote]

Better take another look at the "trotting through the trees" Torchi. She WOULD:laughs:

1. Palmanova, Udine
2..19 inside, 17 outside
3. No heating
4. Just a shirt
5. About ten bars within five minutes walk, south-facing terrace, great walks around town's fortifications
6. I own some furniture - a mixtrure of old and new

oops, missed one out

1. Palmanova, Udine
2..19 inside, 17 outside
3. No heating
4. Just a shirt
5. Drizzling on and off all day
6. About ten bars within five minutes walk, south-facing terrace, great walks around town's fortifications
7. I own some furniture - a mixtrure of old and new

For what it's worth - I don't reckon you would ever move up here..

[LIST=1]
[*]Live in: Bassa Valtellina near Colico on Lake Como
[*]Outside temperature: 9°C. Inside temperature 19°C
[*]Heating is still on. Gas combi boiler and radiators.
[*]Clothing - two layers.
[*]Pis*ing with rain (for last two days - two more to go) below 1800m and [U]still[/U] snowing above that!
[*]The views from the house and the proximity of the Lake, the mountains and Switzerland and my village does not have tourists!
[*]I own some old (not antique - just out of date, ex UK) furniture.
[/LIST]

Maybe so Carole B, but at least I know where to go for a decent cup of tea :smile:

[URL="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105263015969206148496.000468a032b200cf1f828"]Ghianda's Research - Google Maps[/URL]

1)Potting shed
2)Outside 14, inside 28 for me seedlings
3)Natual geyser
4)Bit warm so not much
5)How would I know! been stuck in here all bleedin day
6)Plethora of Night clubs
7)Furniture....trestle table, small single wardrobe for me seeds

[quote=Ghianda;118830]Maybe so Carole B, but at least I know where to go for a decent cup of tea :smile:

[URL="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105263015969206148496.000468a032b200cf1f828"]Ghianda's Research - Google Maps[/URL][/quote]

Awesome map Sweetcheeks!:bigergrin:

[URL="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105263015969206148496.000468a032b200cf1f828"]Ghianda's Research - Google Maps[/URL]

Is it still raining cos it's nice in Glasgow?

1.Provincia di Teramo. Abruzzo
2. Outside 13 deg & spitting, inside 23degs (log stove)
3. Yes, sod the expense the last of the logs on the stove.
4. 1, mountain base layer.....old,old,old,old 15 years. Cross dressing going on here, I'm wearing one of Pilch's old tops.
5. lovelyish today for October
6. Only our own reflections..it's dark outside, but normally the full range of the Gran Sasso all the way from the Monti della Laga through Sasso and wonderful complex Camiche to Maiella.
7. Second hand tat, make shift rubbish, lovely new bed!!!!
Sprat & Pilch

Great map, but Charles seems to live in the middle of Lake Trasimeno :eeeek:

Have you got a houseboat Charles? (my favourite film BTW)

[quote=Penny;118953]Great map, but Charles seems to live in the middle of Lake Trasimeno :eeeek:

Have you got a houseboat Charles? (my favourite film BTW)[/quote]

That's 'cos CP said something like they live 350m below Noble. I can only work with the info I'm given :laughs:

[URL="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105263015969206148496.000468a032b200cf1f828"]Ghianda's Research - Google Maps[/URL]

Actually the pin is positioned pretty perfectly on Isola Minore - which is a private island!

Unfortunately I'm not in the income bracket to own my personal island, though it wouldn't be as inconvenient as it might seem at first sight, since just 2 minutes away (by Riva) would be a choice of bars and three good restaurants on Isola Magggiore!

Come on everyone...... :smile:

I shall be moving this thread on to pastures new later this evening, so if you haven't already contributed (holiday home owners too) leap aboard now :smile:

Please, per piacere.

[LIST=1]
[*]HOUSE WITH NO NAME POGGIO GARFAGNANA.
[*]Cold and lonely without me
[*]Bloody hope not!.
[*]The house is wearing shutters but has no render or paint :(
[*]The Internet says it's raining there but will be sunny on Friday
[*]Awesome views,scenery, lovely people great coffee fab shops that I now can't afford.
[*]Getting delivered on the 8th June from the nice man who is also moving my furniture from the old house.
[/LIST]

Hi Charles,

Let me get this in before Ghianda spots it.
Which of the restaurants on Maggiore do you rate?
AND, isn't the little church on the 'hill' awesome!!!

[quote=Aretina;119032]Hi Charles,

Let me get this in before Ghianda spots it.
Which of the restaurants on Maggiore do you rate?
AND, isn't the little church on the 'hill' awesome!!![/quote]

I always used to patronise Sauro, but just the other day tried the 'newish' one called Ristorante L'Oso - very nice lunch in lovely garden, not costly. There is another one in between these two, geographically, which does expensive fish very well.
[URL="http://www.ristoranteloso.com"]www.ristoranteloso.com[/URL] [URL="http://www.isolamaggiore.com"]www.isolamaggiore.com[/URL]

It's nice and sunny there just now!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far to this valuable project. I have now fiddled around a little with the title of the map just to help with the clarity. :bigergrin:

[URL="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105263015969206148496.000468a032b200cf1f828"]Ghianda's Guide to Free Accommodation - Google Maps[/URL]

Please could you all confirm by tonight that your details have been listed correctly or alternatively pay the minimum £2.00 to the pot and I'll take you off the map before I publish it on the web.

[URL="http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake"]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/URL]

Like Penny said on another thread, the winters can be boring here, so a bit of mischief now and then is bound to creep in.

You Sir are a monkey!:laughs:

I 'spect we'll cough up the £2 for your cheek even though we seriously doubt that we would be put upon by any drive-by freeloaders as upon close inspection our flag is in fact approximately 200 clicks north of our actual location :yes:

:smile:Hi Big Oak

Free accommodation tonight!! :yes::yes: No problem.
One set of guests couldn't take anymore bad weather and have decided to return a couple of days early.

You've just got to find us:winki:

[quote=Aretina;119073]:smile:Hi Big Oak

Free accommodation tonight!! :yes: No problem.
One set of guests couldn't take anymore bad weather and have decided to return a couple of days early.

You've just got to find us:winki:[/quote]

Me, Percy, the 3 dogs, 2 cats and better weather should be with you by about 21.45. Just plate the meals up for us if you're going out or bed early. No worries about keys, we'll find our own way in. :bigergrin:

Guests eh! If it weren't for them, all us in the tourism business would be a lot happier.

:yes::yes::yes:Yes, but they had paid in full

[quote=Aretina;119076]:yes::yes::yes:Yes, but they had paid in full[/quote]

Bingo - have you checked around to be sure they haven't made off with the floorboards or anything? :bigergrin:

:smile:
Aye Aye Cap'an

They're checked in and they're checked out!:yes:
The rental owners' best friend - the security deposit.....:yes:

[quote=Aretina;119078]:smile:
Aye Aye Cap'an

They're checked in and they're checked out!:yes:
The rental owners' best friend - the security deposit.....:yes:[/quote]

Well then, unlike your lovely green olio, you weren't born last winter. By the way Percy doesn't like offal, (but tell her it's squid and she won't know the difference) and I'll need the pototoes nice and crispy. Dogs aren't fussy, red or white for them.

[quote=Charles Phillips;118994]Actually the pin is positioned pretty perfectly on Isola Minore - which is a private island!

Unfortunately I'm not in the income bracket to own my personal island, though it wouldn't be as inconvenient as it might seem at first sight, since just 2 minutes away (by Riva) would be a choice of bars and three good restaurants on Isola Magggiore![/quote]

Well Charles there are but two good, simple restaurants on Isola Maggiore. Having tried all 3 last season and decided that at one of them, that the food was "stale" last year. I should have learnt my lesson. Loo's not clean either ...will PM you. If you want to sit in a garden and especially if you like pussy cats (and you do) the the best cook for your lunch works at All'Antico Orologio. Try the lake fish pasta ..yum. But I digress...great map Ghianda.