12279 Name My House Competition

We need a name for our new house in Poggio Italy.

So, I just thought I would ask all you creative people on the forum for you thoughts and to make it worth your while I am offering £25.00 to the fund for one we can use and £25.00 for a funny one.

The house is a villa, with views of il ponte della Ferrovia and (on a clear day) lago di pontecosi and a vineyard

Just to rule out some first though:

Nia Roo (Oor Ain)
Dun Roamin
Casamia
Pontevista
Eileen (get it?)

Entries to be posted by Friday and my decision is final.

Don’t forget we’re Scottish……

P.S. As there is no fundraising thread thought I’d post it here..

Category
General chat about Italy

Bloody excellent idea Jinty, but have you asked at the bar to find out what it is known as. You must have.

Any chance of a photo to fire up the creative juices? :smile:

WITS END ...... ock eye the noo [URL="http://planetsmilies.net"][IMG]http://planetsmilies.net/flag-smiley-7326.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote=Ghianda;118566]Bloody excellent idea Jinty, but have you asked at the bar to find out what it is known as. You must have.

Any chance of a photo to fire up the creative juices? :smile:[/quote]

I think it's known locally as "that bl**dy house that isn't finished yet"

There's a photo of the village (not the view) on my profile page

BTW - you should try living in Glasgow - just had a gas bill for £700.00 for Jan/Feb/Mar!!!

[quote=Jinty;118570]I think it's known locally as "that bl**dy house that isn't finished yet"

There's a photo of the village (not the view) on my profile page

BTW - you should try living in Glasgow - just had a gas bill for £700.00 for Jan/Feb/Mar!!![/quote]

Beware the gas bills of Italy. :eeeek:

I did a bit of research and I found out that Lake Pontecosi is well known for its herons. So what about this one....

Villa Airone

Truly beautiful setting for you unnamed house Jinty. I'll try to improve on Casa del Cardo! But I wish our gas bill here was ONLY £/€ 700 for that period. Now back to thinking about a name.

Tell me about it.....spent E900 filling the new bombola then decided to sell!

Villa Fossa di Soldi (I'm cheating 'cos thats what I call my own one).

ps - £700 for 3 months heating in Glasgow - we had it mild this winter, must be a bloody big place you're heating!! Is your forum name Jinty 'cos you live in McGinty's pub or something ???

[LIST]
[*]Dieci Archi
[*]18.45 to Paisley
[*]Caminerei 5 mille km
[*]Continuing the Proclaimers theme - Quando mi sveglio
[*]Sea View
[/LIST]

What color is the house? Maybe Casa Bianca would suit, if you have a doggy called Bo.

[quote=pigro;118582]Villa Fossa di Soldi (I'm cheating 'cos thats what I call my own one).

I know it's something to do with money? The 1st phrase I learned was "Abbiamo soldi mah non molto soldi!" - useful cos it scared the heck out of my geometra!

ps - £700 for 3 months heating in Glasgow - we had it mild this winter, must be a bloody big place you're heating!!

No it's just an average wee hoose (in a frightfully good area though!!!) and we re insulated the loft and we put carpets down over the wooden floors... oh and BTW that bill was estimated - it should be higher)

Is your forum name Jinty 'cos you live in McGinty's pub or something ???[/quote]

no Jinty is a derivitave of my name (good pub though)- maybe I should post that as a question ???

Anyway to help me can you give me a translation from Italian to Inglese per favore?

[quote=Jinty;118581]Tell me about it.....spent E900 filling the new bombola then decided to sell![/quote]

Jinty is that the bombola in Glasgow? Cos you posted re Ianandlucy ...Quote

Have you looked at The Garfagnana in Tuscany ?
It still seems to be reasonable (IMHO) and we love it.

Just wondered when you hope to be permanent here in this unnanmed house in that beautiful location?:eerr:

[quote=Jinty;118588]no Jinty is a derivitave of my name (good pub though)- maybe I should post that as a question ???

Anyway to help me can you give me a translation from Italian to Inglese per favore?[/quote]
its "Villa Money Pit" (more or less)!!

Ponte di Sogni

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmciuKsBOi0"]YouTube - "This is the night mail" - WH Auden[/ame]

[quote=Noble;118589]Jinty is that the bombola in Glasgow?
No in the wonderful Garfagnana...

Cos you posted re Ianandlucy ...Quote

Have you looked at The Garfagnana in Tuscany ?
It still seems to be reasonable (IMHO) and we love it.

The house prices seem to be ???

Just wondered when you hope to be permanent here in this unnanmed house in that beautiful location?:eerr:[/quote]

Funny the OH just asked the same question. He's now considering criminal activities to facilitate a quicker move.....but I reckon 3-4 years depending on my son's academic success

[quote=Charles Phillips;118586]What color is the house? Maybe Casa Bianca would suit, if you have a doggy called Bo.[/quote]

It hasn't been rendered or painted yet - probably a soft Tuscan yellow and the dog is called Sweep (even though she's not black) she's a red working cocker...

Not as good for the song though "Me and You and a Dog named Sweep" doesn't have the same ring to it....

SWEEP - CHIMNEY [URL="http://planetsmilies.net"][IMG]http://planetsmilies.net/smoking-smiley-7555.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[LEFT]
lungo la vostra canna fumaria fumo

long may your chimney smoke
[/LEFT]

[I]Lang may yer lum reek[/I]

smoking chimney ...........
[LEFT]
fumo camino :bigergrin:

[/LEFT]

[quote=Lollita;118598]SWEEP - CHIMNEY [URL="http://planetsmilies.net"][IMG]http://planetsmilies.net/smoking-smiley-7555.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[LEFT]lungo la vostra canna fumaria fumo[/LEFT]

[LEFT]long may your chimney smoke [/LEFT]

[LEFT]fumo camino :bigergrin:[/LEFT]

[/quote]

I like your thinking Lollita!

Need to bump this my name is at stake!!

[quote=Jinty;118649]Need to bump this my name is at stake!![/quote]

There you go then " At Stake" :bigergrin:

OK for £25 here's my suggested name Jinty but first why.

Our house is known to the villagers by one name and initially to us, (and all the documents, bills etc) by another, because the Catasto (Land Registry) got it wrong. Also being foreign, you must be able to say your house name and an Italian Postman/Courier/person at the end of the phone must "get it in one".
Tarrrah...name ..... Villa Sant'Andrea

We received a post card simply addressed

[LEFT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]l'inglese[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

A delivery to the old house by TNT got to us by our 1st names - the road we lived in wasn't on ANY sat navs (is now!) and only our surname was on the delivery note - but the driver addressed by our 1st names - the wonder of Italy!

Especially as TNT stick a note through the door in Glasgow when we are in.....

God, my rose coloured glasses are on again - I've just re read The Reluctant Tuscan...........sigh.

But a hybrid of our names is a bit twee....esp as J & H don't exist....

[quote=Ghianda;118651]There you go then " At Stake" :bigergrin:[/quote]

My name would have to be Joan ....doh!!

Jinty and Lollita. I am amazed. A letter from the Comune can't even get to our house and is sent back saying we don't exist...Return to sender...da di dum...

OMG - we've only just found this thread - Bloomin' wonderful:laughs:
Sorry had to watch stupid film with loads of boobs in it missed loads of fun. Then lost internet connection - Sorry Jinty:reallyembarrassed:

Ok our suggestions
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]'heart a-dreaming' (Scotland the Brave)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]'Lago senza Nessie'[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]'The great thing about Glasgow is that if there's a nuclear attack it'll look exactly the same afterwards.' - Billy Connolly :bigergrin:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url]

[LEFT]coraggioso cuore - brave heart, so google tells me :winki:
[/LEFT]

[quote=Moxie;118666]OMG - we've only just found this thread - Bloomin' wonderful:laughs:
Sorry had to watch stupid film with loads of boobs in it missed loads of fun. Then lost internet connection - Sorry Jinty:reallyembarrassed:

Ok our suggestions
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]'heart a-dreaming' (Scotland the Brave)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]'Lago senza Nessie' [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Thanks but a bit too obvious as everyone knows Nessie isn't in Italy (or Barga) she's in SCOTLAND....for goodness sake![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]'The great thing about Glasgow is that if there's a nuclear attack it'll look exactly the same afterwards.' - Billy Connolly :bigergrin:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]He said roughly the same about Slough - that concrete slum off the M4[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]But hey it had work for me in the 80's.....[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake"]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/URL]

OH came in worried about the rain situation - said what does it matter you can get a litre of wine for a Euro - just been told that SHOULD NOT BE a consideration.......wait till he finds out about the donations.....

[quote=Campfield;118670]Passing Wind[/quote]

'scuse you [URL="http://planetsmilies.net"][IMG]http://planetsmilies.net/shocked-smiley-9443.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Where do you get those awesome emoticons Furface?

House name second attempt :

Casa bagpipio

[quote=Noble;118662]Jinty and Lollita. I am amazed. A letter from the Comune can't even get to our house and is sent back saying we don't exist...Return to sender...da di dum...[/quote]

You're not a novelty anymore......

Taking my RHD Mini over - my friend says I'll be the talk of the village....

Nah you're right my OH is Santa at Xmas and King of the village in August.......he's famoso.....I (Yawn yawn am offto bed):SLEEP:

[quote=Lollita;118598]SWEEP - CHIMNEY [URL="http://planetsmilies.net"][IMG]http://planetsmilies.net/smoking-smiley-7555.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[LEFT]
lungo la vostra canna fumaria fumo

long may your chimney smoke
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]
fumo camino ][/quote]

Auld Reekie?

Or if its a new house - Reekie Nuova?

Ummm...

Castellino Cardo (Little Thistle Castle moreorless)

Whaddya think wee Jinty?

La casa dal'alba
La casa scozzese
La pazienza
Bella Vista
Il nido del falco/ poiana/aquila/tondo or any other bird

Always liked the name [I]Eilean Donan[/I]. Very pretty.

How about

Caro Postoverde ( forgive the liberties with the italian!)?

since Jinty is from Glasgow:smile:

Hi,

Just popped in on my lunch break the OH decided I really should do something called work????

Anyhoo....

Come on chaps... as a true Scot I want more for my money!

There are two so far that I like and I have found most of them amusing (some funny some just amusing)......but I need more to choose from!

You could dispense with the "Scottish Theme" because I do want an Italian name?

Will check in after OH stops cracking the whip (oh errr)

Jintus

[quote=Jinty;118561]We need a name for our new house in Poggio Italy.

So, I just thought I would ask all you creative people on the forum for you thoughts and to make it worth your while I am offering £25.00 to the fund for one we can use and £25.00 for a funny one.

The house is a villa, with views of il ponte della Ferrovia and (on a clear day) lago di pontecosi and a vineyard

Just to rule out some first though:

Nia Roo (Oor Ain)
Dun Roamin
Casamia
Pontevista
Eileen (get it?)

Entries to be posted by Friday and my decision is final.

Don’t forget we’re Scottish……

P.S. As there is no fundraising thread thought I’d post it here..[/quote]

whilst i think i understand that you want to give a name to your house i would really urge you not to adopt this very british habit with honeyed names etc (thinking back to this horrible bugalow occupied by a nasty obese woman who called her house "the gables!?"
most italian houses in rural places actually already have a name .in our case it did so we decided to stick with it rather than go for the "valley of the cypresses" kind of stuff ( pukes)
so what is your house actually called just check in the local bar

[quote=Sebastiano;119015]whilst i think i understand that you want to give a name to your house i would really urge you not to adopt this very british habit with honeyed names etc (thinking back to this horrible bugalow occupied by a nasty obese woman who called her house "the gables!?"
most italian houses in rural places actually already have a name .in our case it did so we decided to stick with it rather than go for the "valley of the cypresses" kind of stuff ( pukes)
so what is your house actually called just check in the local bar[/quote]

Perhaps you should read the rest of the posts ? The house is new so it doesn't have a name and I regret if I have given the impression that I'd call it anything terribly British -I'm only trying to raise a bit of money for the fund and maybe get a laugh :yes:

Oh and I'd be careful about sizest comments at the moment

'La Serenissima' ????

(Sebastiano I have sent you a PM)

How about naming after the old music hall song. IMAZAZ

As in

I'm just off to Imazaz,
Him as has the pub next door!!!!

You mentioned it's still a work in progress. How about:
La Fabbrica del Duomo
or
Il Pozzo di San Patrizio
?

Come on The Jinty

Chuck us some crumbs here to work with.... what d'ya like so far. :yes: Show us the colour of yer kilt and we'll get weaving for yer.

You can't just leave creatives in the dark - we'll turn nasty :bigergrin: Not that I'm threatening a Glaswegion or indeed being Glaswegionist.

Just making "la cena" be back soon....

Hi Jinty

I haven't avoided your great comp. but just cannot think of anything yet that would be worth typing! I'll get another couple of brain cells charged up and try again tomorrow.

[quote=Ghianda;119079]Come on The Jinty

Chuck us some crumbs here to work with.... what d'ya like so far. :yes: Show us the colour of yer kilt and we'll get weaving for yer.

Well...THE BOSS has decided he has AN OPINION

He likes

Ponte do Sogni - Bridge of Dreams (awww)

and

Caro Postoverde - Dear Green Place (or should that be Expensive Green Place!)

You can't just leave creatives in the dark - we'll turn nasty :bigergrin: Not that I'm threatening a Glaswegion or indeed being Glaswegionist.[/quote]

I also particulary liked

Caraggioso Cuore and Dieci Archi

But as you are true creatives I'm sure you'll come up with something wonderful....

BTW - Come si dici in italiano - mince and potatoes?

Casa Speriamo
(we hope!)

Vista del ponte/lago
(Bridge /lake view)

Lavoro in corso
(work in progress)

Casa Cara
(Dear house/expensive house)

Villa Paradiso
(Paradise Villa)

Casa di riposo
(retirement home/ old folks home):laughs: