12338 Price comparison

removed..................................

Category
General chat about Italy

1. loaf of bread - anything from 45p to well over a pound - cheapo basic grey cardboard to halfway decent
2. litre milk - semi skimmed- supermarket - about 65p - corner shop emergency supply about a quid
3. 1/2 doz eggs - Featherless chicken - about 60p - born free organic corn fed colourful plumage variety - about £1.50
4. tin tuna - rubbish leftover flakes in tons of oil - about 45p - yellowfin top of range - about £1.60
5. tin tomatoes - crap watery pale supermarket cheapo - 20p - Napolina - 85p
6. Kilo potatoes - cheapos with a few rotten ones chucked in - about 30p - Maris Pipers - about a quid.
7. 1/2 kilo cheese - processed plastic - about £1.50. Mrs Kirkhams Farmhouse - about £3.00
8. 4 pork chops - Pale fat bound and water filled about 2 quid - organic from decent butcher - about 6 quid
9. kilo apples - sour old stock, picked last year and stored - about a quid - crispy crunchy fresh Grannys - 2 quid.
10. kilo onions - soft and sprouting - about 50p - big juicy Spanish - about £1.50

Noble, just to compare prices within Europe, I can give you the ones for the Basque Country area in both Spain and France (I'm going to the large Leclerc supermarket there in the afternoon). This is considered an expensive area for shopping. I can already see that the prices quoted by JC are quite good. Her idea of giving both the lowest and the highest costs is excellent.

Back from shopping at the Leclerc supermarket near Saint-Jean-de-Luz in the French Basque Country. It is generally an expensive area and you would find Paris prices very similar. Here is my list in euros:

Loaf of sliced bread, ranging from 0.77 to 2.50
1 litre milk semi-skimed, from 0.79 to 1.15 (calcium enriched), Fresh milk prices start at 0.90 in sachets and could go up to 1.57 if bio. Actually, the French are "dumping" lots of milk throughout the EU as there is an over-supply and they are heavily subsidised.
1/2 dozen eggs, from 1.00 to 2.75 (bio)
tin of tuna in brine from 1.51 to 3.52
tin of tomatoes (small) from 0.36 to 0.63
1 kg potatoes... could not find loose, but a bag of 2.5 kg costs 1.79.
1/2 kg cheese.... Here I had a problem. No cheddar cheese in sight. I can quote 1/2 kg French Emmental at 3.38. There were packets of 200 gr Brie as low as 1.00
4 pork chops.... No packets containing 4 pork chops, but they sell for 6.80 a kilo
1 kilo apples, between 2.20 and 3.20, but there were bags of 2 kilos selling for 2.45 - 2.99
1 kilo onions, good quality between 1.62 and 3.30

Good quality products in general.