12466 La lontananza

Does anyone know this song? If so, do you know what is it about? The 12 year old daughter of a family friend has to sing it at a concert tonight and wants to know what she is singing about!
Annie.

Category
General chat about Italy

Mi ricordo che il nostro discorso ( I remember that our conversation)
fu interrotto da una sirena (was interrupted by a siren)
che correva lontana, chissà dove? (running far away, who knows where?)
Io ebbi paura perche sempre (I was scared because always)
quando sento questo suono, (when I hear that sound)
penso a qualcosa di grave. (I think something terrible must have happened)
E non mi rendevo conto, che per me e per te, (and I didn't realise, that for me and for you)
non poteva accadere in nulla di più grave, (nothing more serious could have happened)
del nostro lasciarci . . . (than us breaking up)
allora, come ora. (then, as now)

Ci guardavamo; (we looked at each other)
avremmo voluto rimanere abbracciati, ed invece, con (we would have liked to have kept holding one another, and instead, with)
un sorriso ti ho accompagnato per la solita strada. (a smile I accompanied you down the usual road)
Ti ho bacciato come sempre, e ti ho detto dolcemente . . . (I kissed you as always, and I said to you softly)
"la lontananza sai, è come il vento (you know distance is like the wind)
spegne i fuochi piccoli, ma (it puts out small fires but)
accende quelli grandi . . . quelli grandi." (feeds big ones, big ones)

La lontananza sai è come il vento, (Distance you know is like the wind)
che fa dimenticare chi non s'ama (it makes those who don't love, forget)
è già passato un anno ed è un incendio (a year has already passed and it is an inferno)
che, mi brucia l'anima. (which burns my soul)
Io che credevo d' essere il più forte. (I thought I was stronger)
Mi sono illuso di dimenticare, (I thought I would forget)
e invece sono qui a ricordare . . . (and instead I am here, remembering)
a ricordare te (remembering you)

La lontananza sai è come il vento (repeat)
che fa dimenticare chi non s'ama
è già passato un anno ed è un incendio,
che brucia l'anima.

Adesso che è passato tanto tempo, (now that so much time has passed)
darei la vita per averti accanto (I would give my life to have you close)
per rivederti almeno un solo istante (to see you again for just an instant)
per dirti "perdonami." (to say "forgive me")
Non ho capito niente del tuo bene (I understood nothing of your goodness)
ed ho gettato via inutilmente (and I threw away needlessly)
l'unica cosa vera della mia vita, (the only real thing in my life)
l'amore tuo per me (your love for me)

ciao amore (hello love)
ciao non piange (hello don't cry)
vedrai che tornerò (you'll see, I will come back)
te lo prometto ritornerò (I promise you I'll come back)
te lo giuro amore ritornerò (I swear to you love I will come back)
perché ti amo (because I love you)
ti amo (I love you)
ritornerò (I'll come back
ciao amore (hello love)
ciao (hello)
ti amo (I love you)

I really, really hope that's the right song :eerr:

[quote=Anniet2;121172]Does anyone know this song? If so, do you know what is it about? The 12 year old daughter of a family friend has to sing it at a concert tonight and wants to know what she is singing about!
Annie.[/quote]

Try here.

[URL="http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.6lyrics.com/music/domenico_modugno/lyrics/la_lontananza.aspx&ei=y_YLSq3mNpGUjAew8LnCBg&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=6&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dla%2Blontananza%2Benglish%2Blyrics%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26start%3D10"][COLOR=red][B]La Lontananza [/B][/COLOR][/URL]

I regret that I dont know how precise the translation is, but it looks fairly close to me. Hope this helps.:smile:

Regards Oneto15.

I really, really hope that's the right song :eerr:[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for replying so promptly! I am waiting to hear if it is the right song but thank you anyway!
Annie.

[quote=Oneto15;121179]Try here.

I regret that I dont know how precise the translation is, but it looks fairly close to me. Hope this helps.:smile:

Regards Oneto15.[/quote]

Many thanks for this. Such prompt replies! Thank you very much.
Annie.

Sounds like a song of the Resistance (what with sirens and all) - do you know its history Garda?

[quote=Oneto15;121179]Try here.

[URL="http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.6lyrics.com/music/domenico_modugno/lyrics/la_lontananza.aspx&ei=y_YLSq3mNpGUjAew8LnCBg&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=6&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dla%2Blontananza%2Benglish%2Blyrics%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26start%3D10"][COLOR=red][B]La Lontananza [/B][/COLOR][/URL]

Regards Oneto15.[/quote] ahem... mine's better thank you very much :winki::winki:

not at all, I've never heard it, I just googled the lyrics and did a quickie translation....

[quote=annec;121183]Sounds like a song of the Resistance (what with sirens and all) - do you know its history Garda?[/quote]

Couldn't you 'resist' - is Sirena so deeply ingrained? :bigergrin:

It's an old song - written (I think) but definitely sung by Domenico Modugno - you do know who Domenico Modugno was don't you?

"Volare - ooohooh - cantare - ooohoohooh - nel blu di pinto di blu... "

Mina also sang a very nice version of La Lontananza a few years ago. Perhaps there are Youtube vids available.

[I]It's an old song - written (I think) but definitely sung by Domenico Modugno - you do know who Domenico Modugno was don't you? [/I]

[B][B][B]I[B] have just heard that it is indeed an old song written by Donizetti, so no wonder some of the lyrics were not in my dictionary!

And yes, I remember 'Volare'. Do you remember Poppa Piccolina..?!
Annie.[/B][/B][/B][/B]

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that Anniet2

Donizetti was an 18thC composer and although La Lontananza is old - it aint that old. I think it was written in the 1960's

Hahaha.. Poppa Piccolina - the childrens version of Funiculi', Funicula'!

Aieressera, oi' ne', me ne sagliette, tu saie addo'?
Addo' 'stu core 'ngrato cchiu' dispietto farme nun po'!
Addo' lo fuoco coce, ma si fuie te lassa sta!

E nun te corre appriesso, nun te struie, 'ncielo a guarda'!
Ijammo 'ncoppa, Ijammo ja', funiculi', funicula' funiculi', funicula'
Ijammo Ijammo Ijammo funiculi', funicula'

ok, wikipedia to the rescue. It was written by Modugno with Enrica Bonaccorti. The idea of wind putting out small fires and feeding the flames of big ones came from a letter that Bonaccorti read him (to her from her boyfriend).

Seems like Domenico Modugno is getting a lot of attention today, so I'll pitch in with this;-

who could ever forget 'Piove'...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr__tpa4nLg]YouTube - 'PIOVE (CIAO, CIAO BAMBINA)' by DOMENICO MODUGNO[/ame]

Nil point! (French accent) :laughs:

Here's the Donizetti version:

Or ch’io sono a te rapita,
or che tolto a me tu sei,
con le spine di mia vita
l’altrui fior non cangerei.
Se a soffrir è solo un core,
quel soffrir si fa dolore,
caro amore, ah! caro amor!

Now that I am taken from you,
now that you are taken from me,
the thorns of my life
I will not change for another’s flowers.
If only a heart suffers,
what pain that suffering brings,
dear love. Ah! Dear love

Noma - thats not a "version" thats an aria! I absolutely see where you're coming from - if a 12 year old young lady is capable of singing that - I would dearly love to hear it - and I'd give her a standing ovation!

Perhaps Anniet2 can clarify which "version" this young lady is going to sing - is it a classical music or a popular music concert?

Yes, you are quite right, it is the Donizetti version that she sang but I have not yet heard how it went. Watch this space.

Poppa Piccolina went something like

All over Italy da da da signorina
Poppa Piccolina, Poppa Piccolina
Da da dada dada dada dada da da da
Poppa Piccolina from sunny Italy

Oh dear, can't remember it at all!

It transpires that the concert was a little more than simply that as there was an adjudicator present, whose comments were that she sang really well (pretty good as she was very nervous) but that she needed to pay more attention to the pronunciation of the words. Mind you all the singers who sang a foreign song were told this. So fair comment I suppose!

Annie.

who could ever forget 'Piove'...

Indeed; not exactly Pavarotti is he...?!
Annie.

[quote=Anniet2;121433]who could ever forget 'Piove'...

Indeed; not exactly Pavarotti is he...?!
Annie.[/quote]

:laughs::laughs::laughs: Well I liked it! Though that probably says more about my tastes in music, than it does about Sig' Modugno's talent. :reallyembarrassed:

Here it is Anniet2 - and when you hear it you will know why I put up the lyrics for "funiculi', funicula' " in my previous post

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHChhv_f2Y]YouTube - David Whitfield-Poppa Piccolino[/ame]

Enjoy