12282 H1n1

It sounds like the name for a robot but it is the latest bug and not a nice one. The other name for it is the "swine flu" and they think that it has originated in Mexico where it has already caused 150 deaths. It is spreading quickly and, besides Mexico where it is becoming an epidemic) there are cases reported in the USA, where they have closed some schools, New Zealand, the UK, Spain, Switzerland, Denmark and God knows where else. It is a viral infection that used to affect only pigs, but somehow it has managed to infect people as well. Symptoms are similar to the ordinary flu, but with very high temperature and some gastric problems as well. Those who have died up to now were not properly treated and developed complications such as pneumonia. There are antiviral drugs that control the problem, but it is most important to go to a hospital as soon as you develop symptoms. Early detection is vital.
So please take care as it seems to be highly contagious. Suspected cases have been isolated and passengers arriving mainly from Mexico are interviewed by health authorities. They said in the news that travel to Mexico and even to the USA is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Category
Health & Safety

Further to my previous post, here you have some more information:

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8020676.stm]BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Warnings as swine virus spreads[/url]

"moved to italiauncovered.co.uk"

The positive thing about this virus is that you do not seem to catch it from eating pork. At least, this is what they say. Personally, I would say that if you eat Mexican hot sausages no matter how much chilli you add to them it is likely to send you straight to hospital. Anyway, have any symptoms checked as it is most important to start treatment as soon as possible.

Rather than spread panic, there's a useful resource from Google -> [url=http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=32.639375,-110.390625&spn=15.738151,25.488281&z=5]H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps[/url]

This shows the reported spread of the disease, and relies on fact, rather than rumor, panic or anything else.

Sorry, David, I tend to disagree with you. Just by looking at a Google map and keeping your fingers crossed, the problem will not go away. I do not consider the BBC article quoted by me on my second post as "rumour spreading". A world warning, particularly regarding health matters, is serious. Here is the latest, also from the BBC [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8021958.stm]BBC NEWS | Health | Q&A: What is swine flu?[/url]
Up to now, the largest number of cases have been reported in Mexico and the USA. If you look at the high number of incidences in Spain, the TV has explained that this is due to the fact of a large number of local people travelling to Mexico on holidays; however, this is a contagious disease and we should follow the advice given by health authorities regarding prevention and treatment.
And there are no problems regarding the consumption of pork meat, so you can continue with your friendship with Italian pig farmers, Torchiarolan.

Gala, calm down sweetie, the "criticism" in my post was not leveled at you or anyone on the forum, sheesh.

An update. It is no longer called the "swine flu", it looks as if Torchiarolan's pig farmer's friends have complained to the World Health authorities. It is called H1N1.
Some good news, those who had their flu vaccinations at the start of the winter are better protected against the virus.
IM has published this update: [url=http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy/health/swine-flu-italy-coordinate-g8-actions]Swine flu: Italy to coordinate G8 actions | Health Travel to Italy - Italian People & Places - Italy Style, Food and Wine[/url].
But the best advice is to go to see your doctor if you have any flu symptoms. Early detection and treatment make a big difference. Italy and all EU countries have large supplies of the drug "Tamiflu"which has proved to be very effective. It is a prescription only drug.

Hear there are confirmed cases in Germany as well. Symptoms seem similar to other flu's, though many have died in Mexico. I don't know if those victims were in poor health prior to contracting the influenza, or if some other factor lead to their particularly virulent cases.

It looks as if the confirmed victims died of complications related to the virus, such as pneumonia, and were not properly treated. Their families were not given medication or quarantined and this helped the spread of the virus. Fortunately, assertive action is been taken but the best thing is to request medical help as soon as the first symptoms of a flu appear. This is a similar virus to the notorious "Spanish flu" which killed many people back in 1918. The big difference is that at the time there were no antibiotics or antiviral medication available. Fortunately, nowadays we have them and this should have a big impact on the outcome.
Another piece of advice given is to wash our hands even more frequently than before to avoid spreading germs. Preferably with liquid soap containing disinfectant, such as the one used in surgeries.

You are right, Torchiarolan, people move much more nowadays but, on the other hand, we have more means to fight an epidemic. Nevertheless, the so called Spanish flu, which was also a "swine flu" managed to kill 5 % of the world's population, twice as many people than died as a result of WW1. Some 14% of Fiji's population was wiped out. In the USA, some 500,000 to 600,000 people died. I heard that they are calling H1N1 "the new flu".....

WHO just raised threat level to 5- imminent pandemic