12380 I'm new here

Hi I'm new here. I've just found your wonderful forum, I really need something
like this, and you all seem so very friendly here. because we are looking to buy a modest house(rustic). we wanted to
look in Abruzzo but after the 6th of April we're not sure, can anyone tell us about
the area around Perugia, we don't want to be in a city or town, we are retired
and don't mind doing some of the work ourselves,I'm afraid we don't know a
lot about Italy, and we are trying to learn italian, we've had lots of holidays in
Rimini and the Lakes.
Ciao
PS
I saw your work with all the animals in the earthquake area, and I applaud
your commitment. I only wish we could have one of those dogs, but I'm afraid
my 2 siamese cats would definitely not accept one, there would be bloodshed!!

Category
Introduce Yourself - Piacere Conoscerti

you might find this article interesting regarding the quake in 1984 perugia...

[url=http://bssa.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/78/6/1948]The Perugia (Italy) earthquake of 29, April 1984: A microearthquake survey -- HAESSLER et al. 78 (6): 1948 -- Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America[/url]

the problem you will have with Italy is that there is a line running down what they call the backbone...north south.or vica versa...which is where the split in the plates are... and this means around 90 % of Italy is classified in terms of building works at least as being at risk...

so much like abruzzo you have to make a choice if you want to live anywhere in Italy where the risk is highest or lowest and make sure that any property you buy has been built or is to be restructured in a safe way...

you will find that the majority of people in L'Aquila province affected by that quake are living quite safely...still in abruzzo... and many for peace of mind or for accommodation or hospitalisation have been living in the other provinces of the region... ie teramo has 15,000 , chieti about 4,000 and pescara about 1000... all living in buildings quite safely...

so nothing against perugia and good luck with that choice... but the reasoning behind it would be defective in almost any area you choose to look

should of said welcome.... as well ... sorry forgot... anyway you will get plenty of help heren ow you have joined ... many perugians on the site

Welcome to the forum Catwoman - where's Batman? :bigergrin:

Hello Cat Woman and welcome to the Forum.
To choose the location that will suit you is a difficult decision. My advice would be to look at different places and make up your mind.
Regarding prices, you hear many generalisations and this is not true. Within the same region, you can find a big range of prices. This was our experience. I would suggest you take some time to decide and visit as many places as possible. Try to inspect them in winter, during the low season. Many towns fill up only for a few weeks in July/August, but ,if you are going to live permanently in a place, you need to see what it looks like throughout the year. Distance to major cities and airport, easy access, shops, bars and restaurants.... all these facilities have a major impact in your lifestyle.
This is probably a very good time to purchase property and you may be able to find something that will suit your needs and your budget at a realistic price. So look around and ask questions through the Forum. We will be delighted to tell you about our experiences.
Good luck!

Hi Catwoman,

I'll have both your Siamese and you can then take one of the dogs..... No honestly,
I'm so glad to hear someone else is bringing these beautiful creatures out here. A word of caution though, I moved here three years ago with two gorgeous Siamese, sadly my 16 month Red point male got shot a point blank on the first day of the hunting season. some got him from out of a car window right outside our house as he was basking in the sun. We weren't even in a hunting area. I have not gotten over it 2 years on. If you are buying in the countryside be aware that people here don't have the same respect for animals and don't much care about their welfare (of course their are exceptions). If I had known about how bad it can be here during the hunting season, I wouldn't have bought in the countryside for my pets sake. People can come on your land if it's not fenced in and you have no control over what (or who) they are going to shoot at. I don't want to put you of buying here but wouldn't want you to go through a similarly painful experience.
Best of luck house hunting.

That is just too awful, I am sorry. I have 2 English cats here now after 3 years, Phoebe is now 19yrs old and Osacar is 9yrs old, plus 2 italian boys, the very famous and now recovered Misha and Jo,I cannot understand what happened to you, you are not so far away from me, how did this happen?. I hate the hunting season, but this seems so extreme.Perhaps you could tell us more about it. I do worry when the guns go off, but the cats seem to be aware of this and lie low. (Phoebe at 19 is without a care) but if we could gather more information then we could stop this happening again.
A

[FONT=Century Gothic][IMG]http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c009.gif[/IMG] and welcome. [/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic]There is so much [/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic]information here so a good place to start to help you improve your knowledge on Italy :bigergrin: Good luck with your house search.[/FONT]

Thank you everyone for your very warm welcome, and I am soo sorry to hear about your beautiful cat that got shot (hope they get their just desserts)
Batman got fired he was a waste of space!!!
Hope to write again soon.

Thre is not much that can be done or said to prevent shootings like this happening, as there are too many hunters about in the season. It happened within 20 minutes from him going outsise and I hadn't realised it was the first day of the hunting season (as it was a no hunting zone I hadn't even worried about hunting) someone simply decided to drive around with a shot-gun and have "a bit of fun" on the first hunting day. I know of two more people whose animals got shot out here. The only way to avoid is fencing your land in or keeping your pets locked in, especially during dusk and dawn. Needless what I'd like to do to the guy if I ever got my hands on him.

To cheer you up Cat Woman (as I don't want to put you off coming here) I have got some happy news, as also nice things happen to pets out here. we have a new member of the family arriving soon.

[FONT=&quot]Another Rescue from the Abruzzo Dog Home. Hans, a seven months old dog with a lovely nature who sadly became displaced after the earthquake. After an anxious wait to hear if his owner could after all be found, I had a phone call today to let me know that I will be able to take him home next week after he got his microchip and vaccinations. Needless to say, the name will have to be changed. Any suggestions?[/FONT]

I tried to post some pics but gave up trying several times unsuccessfully. Any one knows how to get to upload pics from your album?:laughs:

[ATTACH]2736[/ATTACH]

Thanks Sally, hope this uploads. any ideas for a name anyone. this could be another fund-raiser idea, I'm just worried about what you come up with if we had a "name the dog" raffle to raise more money for the dog home....

Jana that's a great idea. However do open a new thread specifically for it.

Hello Amazing. Good for you! I think that you've found the name. Handsome Hans.

He looks like a lovely dog - congratulations and compliments on having adopted him - but why do you want to change his name? As DavidUno suggests, Hans stands for Handsome - and if he answered to Hans before, I'd be inclined not to confuse him with a change of identity!

Congratulations on the adoption. In a short while, you will realise who has adopted whom....
I agree with the others and I would keep "Hans" as his name, it is short, nice and it suits him.
Best wishes.

Well, the explanation is simple. I'm German, my dad's middle name is Hans and I'm off the Christmas card list if he keeps that name.
Sally, I just figured out how to post a picture and now need to figure out how to even open a thread? any point if this is all in shut-down and we have to re-register? Oh, dear, that'll be another thread. Now, I'm panicked.

Eh, sorry Charles. Hans is a shortform for Johannes (Engl. John) and has nothing to do with handsome. Also, he's only had the name for the short time he's been at the refuge. They even have a "Fritz". It shows how many dogs they have as they've run out of Italian names. Well, one of the girls there is Austrian. And the name has got to go.

Four weeks still to go here Jana so if you still want to find a new name for your wee doggie and by so doing also raise funds for Italymag Abruzzo Fund then locate General Chat About Italy (Sub Forum) Click on New Thread and off you go ..... Buona Fortuna

Excuse me folks.... but what happened to the [IMG]http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1704.gif[/IMG] rule?

Here is this poor new member - even her name says she is a cat lover - and the thread's been highjacked as a doggie thread (no offence Hans [I]or[/I] amazingmarche) who kindly said:
[quote]"To cheer you up Cat Woman (as I don't want to put you off coming here) I have got some happy news, as also nice things happen to pets out here. we have a new member of the family arriving soon."[/quote], but it ended there and must be very confusing for CATWOMAN!

Hey I'm a cat lover too. Sadly, some b.... decided to shoot mine. So read the whole thread and you'll see why I posted the dog thing in the first place.

[quote=amazingmarche;121264]Hey I'm a cat lover too. Sadly, some b.... decided to shoot mine. So read the whole thread and you'll see why I posted the dog thing in the first place.[/quote]

[I]But I accepted that in my post above...[/I] it was the others who took it and you - inadvertently - off topic...

I really [U][I]didn't[/I][/U] mean to offend you :wubclub: and I'm sorry if I did that. I was thinking of the 'newbie'...

No offense taken, I felt bad about having given Cat woman bad news about how tough live for animals can be out here and wanted to be able to assure her that good things happen too. so we can all still be friends... I hope Cat Woman will find a great place to live in Italy. Good luck