12316 Being Mrs Berlusconi

Interesting article in today's Guardian

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/01/veronica-lario-silvio-berlusconi-marriage]Aida Edemariam on Veronica Lario and Silvio Berlusconi's marital saga | World news | The Guardian[/url]

Category
Italian Politics

She had an affair with him for years while he was still married to his first wife - what goes around..

Bad karma.... I haven't been able to find much information about B's first wife.

Thanks for posting the article alan.h. I imagine that Berlusconi is far too afraid of his second wife (and what she knows), to ever divorce her, unless she chooses to divorce him. The photos of his first wife Gala, show a small dumpy women with a sweet smile.

[quote=juliancoll;119259]She had an affair with him for years while he was still married to his first wife - what goes around..[/quote]
Like Italy, she maybe thought he would be better next time around.

Going ever so slightly off thread here but have you noticed - for I do, ALL THE TIME - that there are so many "older" guys in this country, hanging around with so much younger women? The Berlusconis are not a good example as she's more in his general ball park age ('scuse the possible pun) than the examples I'm thinking of but there are so many examples, everywhere. Just today my husband (mid 50s) said (of a man his age with arm wrapped around girl clearly in her early 30s), "that must be his daughter" when it quite clearly wasn't. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

"moved to italiauncovered.co.uk"

Well, perhaps she didn't want to hung onto hubby. And I would not blame her.

"moved to italiauncovered.co.uk"

I don't think that anyone could control that guy.... I think he already had 2 or 3 children with 2nd Mrs B. by the time he divorced 1st Mrs B and married the 2nd. Hopeless case. I think that the 1st Mrs B was the clever one. Possibly this is the reason why she has that "sweet smile".....

[quote=Campfield;119308]Like Italy, she maybe thought he would be better next time around.[/quote]

Then perhaps she, unlike Italy, was the fool because she did not understand the difference between work and pleasure - although she may have overlapped the two at times. :laughs:

[quote=Noble;119300]Thanks for posting the article alan.h. I imagine that Berlusconi is far too afraid of his second wife (and what she knows), to ever divorce her, unless she chooses to divorce him. The photos of his first wife Gala, show a small dumpy women with a sweet smile.[/quote]

:yes:What was I saying??? This link is in Italian but it will reach the English papers soon enough.
[url=http://www.corriere.it:80/politica/09_maggio_03/veronica_lario_divorzio_1cdc96a6-37a8-11de-8d05-00144f02aabc.shtml]Veronica Lario prepara il divorzio - Corriere della Sera[/url]

[B]Berlusconi's wife to divorce him [/B]

Mr Berlusconi and his wife married in 1990

[B]The wife of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has confirmed that she will file for divorce.[/B]
Veronica Lario reportedly said she could not be with a man who "consorted with minors" after her husband attended a female friend's 18th birthday party.
Ms Lario had also clashed publicly with her husband over his party's plan to choose certain female candidates for the European elections.
The 72-year-old billionaire prime minister has not commented.
Ms Lario is Mr Berlusconi's second wife and a former actress. The couple, who have been married for 19 years, have three children, all in their 20s.
[B]'Shameless rubbish'[/B]
La Repubblica, a leading Italian newspaper, said Ms Lario's decision came after reading about the 18th birthday party in Naples.
"That's enough, I cannot remain with a man who consorts with minors", she was quoted as saying.
Another newspaper, La Stampa, quoted Ms Lario as saying she had been "forced to take this step".

[IMG]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif[/IMG] [B]What's happening today [in Italy] behind a front of bodily curves and female beauty is grave[/B] [IMG]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif[/IMG]
Veronica Lario

"This really surprised me, because he never came to any 18th birthday party for his children, despite being invited," the paper quoted her as saying earlier.
Mr Berlusconi was reported to have brought the woman a golden necklace studded with diamonds as a present. Following his wife's reaction, Mr Berlusconi was quoted as saying he was sorry his wife "had let herself be fooled by left-wing newspapers". Relations with her husband were already said to be frayed after Ms Lario had criticised her husband's choice of young and attractive female candidates with little political experience to represent his Freedom Party in the forthcoming European elections.
In an e-mail to an Italian news agency, she said the plan amounted to "shameless rubbish" being put on "for the entertainment of the emperor".
"What's happening today [in Italy] behind a front of bodily curves and female beauty is grave," she wrote.
[B]Flirting[/B]
Mr Berlusconi said his centre-right party was aiming to select female candidates because "we want to renew our political class with people who are cultured and well prepared".
Candidates standing for the party would be unlike the "malodorous and badly dressed people who represent certain parties in parliament", Mr Berlusconi added.
[IMG]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif[/IMG][I][B]SILVIO BERLUSCONI [/B][/I]
[I][B]Won third term as prime minister in 2008[/B][/I]
[I][B]Fought off a series of corruption and fraud charges[/B][/I]
[I][B]Private fortune estimated at $6.5bn (£4.4bn)[/B][/I]
[I][B]Owner of AC Milan football club[/B][/I]

It was later announced that Barbara Matera - an actress, TV announcer and former Miss Italy contestant - was the only one of the candidates to have made the final list.
Mr Berlusconi has not commented on the divorce reports. His lawyer, Niccolo Ghedini, said it was a "strictly personal matter".
Mr Berlusconi courted Ms Lario in 1980 after watching her perform topless in a play. They married ten years later.
Two years ago he issued a public apology to his wife for flirting with young starlets, among them Mara Carfagna, who he later appointed as equal opportunities minister.
She said her husband had told the women: "If I wasn't already married I would marry you right away".
In 2003 Berlusconi acknowledged during a press conference rumours linking his wife to a left-wing philosophy professor and mayor, Massimo Cacciari.
Ms Lario has occasionally taken political positions at odds with her husband's, such as her backing for protesters demonstrating against the war in Iraq, which Mr Berlusconi supported.
Mr Berlusconi has two elder children from a previous marriage who now hold senior positions in his media empire.
The Italian prime minister's private fortune is estimated by Forbes magazine at $6.5bn (£4.4bn)

[URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8031520.stm"]Source [/URL]

Silly woman! Why divorce and get only a small percentage? Wait til the little sod dies - and get it all! :bigergrin:

Then she should still remain married - and just spend, spend, spend!

[quote=juliancoll;119590]Then she should still remain married - and just spend, spend, spend![/quote]

Either way, it looks like la prima colazione in casa Berlusconi tomorrow will be Frosties :bigergrin:

It occured to me that Berlusconi chooses these pretty (possibly empty headed), women, to take up seats in parliament, so that he and his cronies can get on and rule Italy as they please, with little interference from those that are there merely for decoration!

[FONT=Century Gothic]He must be doing something right if he won a third term as prime minister in 2008. The mind boggles [IMG]http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/konfus/e010.gif[/IMG][/FONT]

Maybe if they were consecutive terms- but he was voted out of office in each of the prior terms. His first term lasted 9 months (April 1994 – Jan 1995), and he was not elected PM again for 6 years (June 2001).