496 fishing in Italy

I am hoping somebody can help with a query about fishing in Italy. My husband loves fishing and every time we go to Italy he wishes he could take his fishing rod but we don't know the rules as regards licenses etc. When we have been in Florence he has seen people fishing in the Arno but has not asked them about whether he would be allowed to do it. So if anybody knows the rules about fishing in Italy I would be very grateful for any information.

Category
Sports

I got the following from a fishing fanatic:

Each region has its own rules and regulations for fishing licences. There are three types of regional licences that are normally used. A license "tipo A" is for professionals, "tipo B" is for local citizens. A licence "tipo D" for foreigners costs about EUR 20 (EUR 9 for the license, EUR 11 stamp duty) for three months.

You can buy the State Licence at the Offices of the "Comune" in any Italian city. It's called a "Licenza di Pesca", but when you have one it doesn't necessarily mean you can fish anywhere you want. A special licence is required for all or most stretches of water. You can buy the "water licences" at local municipal offices or fishing shops.

[QUOTE=Jane Keightley]I am hoping somebody can help with a query about fishing in Italy. My husband loves fishing and every time we go to Italy he wishes he could take his fishing rod but we don't know the rules as regards licenses etc. When we have been in Florence he has seen people fishing in the Arno but has not asked them about whether he would be allowed to do it. So if anybody knows the rules about fishing in Italy I would be very grateful for any information.[/QUOTE]
The reply Steve has posted is somewhat different to the advice I have received. We have a home in Tuscany, near Pisa, and this is what I understand to be the siutation (maybe it varies from region to region I do not know!):

You cannot fish in any river (even for coarse fishing) without a licence (no matter how old or young you are). The police and authorities are very hot about this. You can buy an annual licence from the post office for €23 but you will need to get a form first and provide evidence of who you are.

Much easier and more productive is to fish in the sea (no licence required) or in any of the numerous private lakes that can be found with a bit of searching.

For example, Lago di Cavalieri near Pisa is a single lake mixed fishery that charges €7 a day for some of the best and, perhaps, easiest carp fishing in Europe! I know I've been and had up to 15 carp in a session using sweetcorn and up to 15lb in weight!

Hope this is helpful. Matt Hayes also fishes in Tuscany for carp and catfish but I don't know where - do you?

Tight lines - Graham Smith

[url]http://www.tuscanyhomerental.co.uk[/url]

[QUOTE=GrahamSmith]The reply Steve has posted is somewhat different to the advice I have received. We have a home in Tuscany, near Pisa, and this is what I understand to be the siutation (maybe it varies from region to region I do not know!):

You cannot fish in any river (even for coarse fishing) without a licence (no matter how old or young you are). The police and authorities are very hot about this. You can buy an annual licence from the post office for €23 but you will need to get a form first and provide evidence of who you are.
(snip)[/QUOTE]

I don't think that what we posted is that far apart. Bear in mind you may only get an annual licence if you are a resident, otherwise the limit is 3 months. For other information about licences in Firenze, which was where Jane asked about see:

[url]http://www.comune.firenze.it/comune/svil_economico/pesca/pesca2.htm[/url]

Since moving to Sardinia I have started to get into (Back into) fishing, I used to live next to the thames and when i was a teenager used to go fishing there all summer. I stopped fishing but when I moved 10 mins from the sea desided it was time to get back into it.

Does anyone know of any good websites on Sea fishing (Beach fishing in particulare).

One thing I can say is that it's far nicer fishing from a beach then from the bank of the river thames, also for it to be warm and clear enough to go for a quick snorkle to see if there are actualy any fish is a plus too. :)

Thankyou all for your replies. You have been a real help. My husband will be thrilled when I show him all that you have written.