I am from the US and want to move to

mlwakley Image
10/22/2021 - 22:22

I am from the US and want to move to Italy and keep dual citizenship with the US.    I am not from Italian descent, have no plans on marrying an Italian … so so my only other option is by residency.  Has anyone gone through/ going through this process of citizenship by residency …. I’d appreciate any advice.  



You would have to be resident for 10 years before you can apply for citizenship.   As to how you get your residency, it depends if you would need to work while you live here.  If not then you apply for elective residency with all that entails. 


all info about residence for not italians , you can find here




As correctly Modicasa anticipated, for gaining Italian citizenship, you do need to be resident in Italy for at least 10 years.

There are three important steps to be followed:

I step: Applying for an Italian long-stay visa at the Italian embassy or consulate in your home country. This allows you to enter Italy and stay for a maximum of 90 days.

II step: Going to the Questura within 8 days form your first arrival in Italy (important step).

III step:  Once in Italy you have to apply for one of the Italian long stay visas. Most foreigners who wish to retire in Italy, apply for the Elective Residency Visa (I do not know if this is your case).

In this case you need to have enough funds to live here without working, and a house where to live (rented or purchased) as well as further requirements.

There are more alternatives, such as the Investment Visa for Italy.

Good luck :)

Luxury Law