josieverona Image
05/24/2018 - 12:26

URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED: I am in Umbria at this very moment and was in the process of buying a small apartment here. We were at the notaio this morning completing the atto when yhe notaio informed me that only recently the reciprocal agreement to buy property has now been changed/revoked and that we cannot go ahead with the purchase. Does anyone have any experience or up to date information on this. Thank you. Sorry I am in a bit of a fluster. I am a non resident Australian citizen.



in the MAE archives, there is no recent change to international reciprocity treaties https://www.esteri.it/mae/it/servizi/stranieri/elenco_paesi.html it is possible that your notary, has made an error of interpretation 

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. He was quite sure of his reply but said he would do some research this afternoon. I am still waiting on his reply. Otherwise he wants to pursue another option which would mean my husband, who has duel citizenship (australian and Iranian) would pursue a separation of beni and then purchase it by himself. This I think is a complicated and expensive route to take. I am at present checking with my legal representive in Australia because I don't even think that we have this legal standing of comune or separazione dei beni in relation to still married couples

https://www.esteri.it/mae/it/servizi/stranieri/elenco_paesi.htmlparticularly  http://atrio.esteri.it/Ricerca_Documenti/wfrmRicerca_Documenti.aspx1. ACQUISTO DI UNITA' IMMOBILIARILa materia è disciplinata dall'Accordo bilaterale di Emigrazione e Stabilimento del 26.09.1967, art. 28 e dalla legge locale 'Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Act' del 1975, che impone una serie di regole e limitazioni all'acquisto di immobili da parte di cittadini non australiani. In particolare, l'Australia tiene in considerazione il fatto che gli acquisti immobiliari da parte di stranieri non dovrebbero avere natura speculativa e non diminuire lo stock abitativo a disposizione nel Paese. Di conseguenza:il titolare di 'permanent residence' (lo straniero che ha diritto di risiedere indefinitamente in Australia, possedendo un 'permanent residence visa') può acquistare unità immobiliari senza previa approvazione governativa; il titolare di residenza temporanea (chiunque ha diritto di risiedere non indefinitamente, ma per più di 12 mesi con un 'temporary residency visa' o in attesa di riceverlo) ha diritto di acquistare una casa esistente solo a scopo abitativo o di acquistare anche a scopo non abitativo una casa nuova o in costruzione o da costruire, perché ciò non riduce gli stock abitativi del paese. In entrambi i casi il titolare di 'temporary residence visa' deve chiedere autorizzazione governativa per procedere all'acquisto, ed essa può essere concessa dietro precise condizioni (ad esempio che sul terreno edificabile acquistato la costruzione inizi entro 24 mesi); il titolare di un visto di corto soggiorno, o il non residente in Australia, può investire solo se l'investimento aumenta lo stock abitativo. Se si tratta di case esistenti, l'acquisto anche abitativo ne e' precluso, mentre nel caso di case nuove o in costruzione o da costruire occorre l'autorizzazione governativa, la quale potrà essere concessa solo previe precise condizioni (ad esempio che sul terreno edificabile acquistato la costruzione inizi entro 24 mesi).Per maggiori informazioni e' consultabile il seguente link www.firb.gov.au 

you can ask a Residenza Elettiva , to overcome this problem , if the notary insist on his error .the separation of assets, it is useless - I do not see that there are problems for the citizens of Iran, to live or acquire property in Italy - I think, however, that, being Australian You, the best solution for speed and costs, both the Residence Eletiva request - with a little effort, you should have it in 10/20 days. you can read some notes, in my web site, at the following link > http://www.lifeinitaly.it/Inglese/italyresidenceguide.htm have a good luck :) 

A very peculiar case is the Australian situation. The matter is disciplined by a bilateral treaty called “Migration and Settlement Agreement” signed in Canberra on 26th September, 1967. This treaty is still in force and allows for full reciprocity between the two countries. On several occasions it appeared as if the reciprocity agreement was suspended, above all because of some parts of Australian legislation aimed at limiting the purchase of immoveable assets by foreign – especially Asian – investors, but both in 2005 and again more recently the National Board of Italian Notaries and the ministerial authorities of both countries confirmed the applicability of the quoted Agreement and specifically its article 28; some limitations still remain valid, however, mainly for Italian citizens not resident in Australia whose purchases are subject to a particular authorization regime justified by reasons of national interest. - This was written by an Italian lawyer in NOvember 2017.   Article 28 says that  non residents cannot buy exisiting houses, whereas temporary residents can.  So it would seem that the notary is applying the letter of the law - and it has not changed recently.   It would seem that the notary checked up the day of the sale and discouvered that he should have told you this well before the date of the final sale.    If you married and live your married life in Australia then the default state of marriage is separation of goods,so your iranian husband can buy the property in only his name. 

Hello, Australian here ,I am in a similar position ie: being told by a notaio that we are not allowed to buy an old rustico with large parcel of land in Amalfi even though we have Italian residency. I'm curious to know the outcome of your situation, best wishes Andrew WS

If you go here: https://www.esteri.it/it/politica-estera-e-cooperazione-allo-sviluppo/d…

you can click on Australia and see the conditions for reciprocity.   It seems that Australia is getting more technical in allowing foreigners to buy, and therefore the same will apply here for Australians.  I thought the rules were for foreign companies and investors, but it seems that they are now being applied to individuals too.   If you check what Australia allows foreigners to buy, then that is what you are allowed to buy in Italy. 

WE are also in the process of buying in Umbria and have a great Italian lawyer who helped my Australian friend buy last year. He speaks great English if you need someone.

good luck Linda