12212 Geometra signing off

Probably one for Charles but can anyone tell what are the charges when a Geometra signs off. I have paid him in full and he has said that there will be a signing off fee and I need to pop over to Italy to be present when he signs off with the commune. All advice gratefully accepted

Category
Building/Renovation

I'm not quite clear what you mean by 'signing off'. Perhaps he going to get a certificato d'agibilita, and if he didn't include this in his original estimate for his fee it could be anything from €250 to €1250. He might need to lodge a new acattastamento, and this will also raise a fee, part of which goes to the comune or the catastal office, which could be in the same cost range again. You should ask the geometra what the charges will be.

As to your needing to be there, it could be that you will become liable for charges which at the moment you are not paying - such as ICI and rubbish tax, and you will need to formally tell the comune that the house is now your responsibility. It should be possible to do this from a distance if the geometra has an appropriately worded delega (although some comunes are reluctant to accept a delega if it is related to paying their taxes).

you have got me worried - I have not had signing off yet on new barn conversion - what happens if I dont sign offf !!!
Pamela

[quote=pamela;117765]you have got me worried - I have not had signing off yet on new barn conversion - what happens if I dont sign offf !!!
Pamela[/quote]

To be honest - not a lot! Only if you want to rent it out you might get asked for some certificates, and when you come to sell it's better if the drawings in the records match the building. Italians frequently don't bother, in my experience.

What is this? A 'sign-off' fee? This is total rubbish! And this is one of the reasons why you foreigners shouldn't trust 'us' italians, or rather, why you shouldn't trust geometras. Signing off means that the professional involved (arch, geom, etc) declares that the work is completed ('fine lavori', a form that has to be submitted to the Comune) and this surely should not be charged as an extra fee! If this means to register the building at the Catasto, then you pay for the 'accatastamento' - if this means to obtain a certificate of 'agibilità', this should be included in the original fee and only pay duties and stamps. The sign off fee to me sounds like milking the cow for one last time....