12208 Language with cars..

As always when i come a cross anew situation, I learn new vocabulary.

I have just collected my car from the local garage for its annual service, oil change, filter, water and tyres, also spark plugs checked and changed

I have done my first of many school runs today and its running sluggish.! especially when its ticking over. I'm not sure if its misfiring a bit but i'm not a mechanic.

How do i say this in Italian...i can ask him to listen to it ...but it would be nice to be able to understand the correct vocab..At the end of the day its language all by itself in English as well.

Category
Che significa? - Italian Language Queries

To say it's misfiring tell him "Ha difetti di accensione; il motore continua a perdere colpi. E poì non riprende bene! E quasi come forse manca una delle candele"

It has firing difficulties, the engine keeps misfiring. And it doesn't pick up well either. It's almost as if it is missing one of the plugs!

That 'should' cover it!

Thanks, I actually got it sorted...my husband looked at it and yes a spark was not inserted correctly.:bigergrin:

i actually understood it written infront of me but i would have never said it that way...

however

il motore continua a perdere colpi...this translates as i read the motor continues to loose the blame....how come??:reallyembarrassed:

sorry i've been in here a year and a half...and really am doing ok with the language and i will not let it beat me hence the fact i cant accept and am always asking questions..does colpi mean something else

Thank you for the really speedy response...i feel really proud of myself doing the mechanic today :eerr:

Colpo. 4 stroke motors are variously known as a quattro tempi, OR a quattro colpi. So, to say the 'motore perde colpi' is an extremely correct technical way of describing a misfire. (Which sounds as if was exactly your trouble!) I'm pleased it was an easy fix for you.

This word colpo, comes from the verb colpire, and it means to hit, strike, thump, (explode, in the case of a combustion chamber). You can also use it in 'lui e stato colpito d'un infarto' (he was struck by a heart attack).

The noun which you are translating as blame should be colpa, compare with colpevole (culpable). Not the same linguistic root, I believe.

Thank you.....How many years will it take?

:rollingeyes::rollingeyes:

oh well i now where to come now for my little complications.....
I tick every little hurdle off the list..:laughs: