12256 Just so I understand!

[B]From a post by Marc when closing the 'Enough for me guys' thread.[/B]

Marc: Let us be straight about this; the Personal Message system exists for one reason only; to allow members to communicate with each other without revealing their real-life identities.
[I] [/I]
[I][COLOR=Purple]How do we do that? We're nearly all 'anon' anyway, but we know all the 'characters'. The messages come from our own Private Message Box andyou can't send (thank goodness) anonymous PM's!.[/COLOR][/I]

Marc:The PM system is not moderated or, [B][I][U]as far as I know[/U][/I][/B], checked by Ronald and the Italy Magazine staff.
[I] [/I]
[I][COLOR=Purple]Does this mean that it [B][U]MAY[/U][/B] be?[/COLOR][/I]

Marc:Of course, that means that the system is open to abuse, but members who choose to engage with each other through this method must take personal responsibility for things that they read and write and exercise judgement about the character of people who they receive messages from, as they would with Email.

[COLOR=Purple][I]So – let me understand you clearly here - [B]if[/B] I receive a malicious, vindictive Private Message about me – or about someone else then it’s up to me:[/I][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Purple][I][/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Purple][I]i. Whether I read it or not.... I have to though to know it’s content.[/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Purple][I]ii. To judge if the sender is really malicious, vindictive and one who makes false
[/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Purple][I] statements[/I][/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=Purple]iii.To accept that this method of contact [U][B]IS[/B][/U] open to abuse[/COLOR][/I]

Marc:May I ask members [B]not to allow disputes which start on the PM system to bleed-through to the Forums. [/B]The Moderating team can only evaluate each thread and post at face-value and has neither the time or the capacity to follow the history of relationships which have evolved through PM's. Therefore, if you abuse another member (or offer patronising advice) on the public Forums we will delete you post, no matter what the background to it is.

[COLOR=Purple][I]So[/I] – [I]again – let me understand you clearly here – The system regarding receipt or the sending of malicious, vindictive Private Messages is this:[/I][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Purple][I][/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Purple][I]i. Not a word must ‘filter through’ onto the board. [B]ERGO:[/B] it must all remain [U]within[/U] the PM system.[/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Purple][I]ii. The Moderating Team [B][U]will not[/U][/B] moderate on such messages or interest themselves in the past history of relationships. [B]ERGO:[/B] The current abuse via Personal Messages is being ‘condoned’ by the Moderation team and [U]maybe[/U] by Administration too – [U][B]on condition it does not spill onto the forums! [/B][/U][/I][/COLOR]

So what you are actually saying that a ‘carte blanche’ is available to all - via the Personal Messaging system and that – to put it in a nutshell - you really don’t want to know – right ?

Well what about all the victims of such messages – how do you think this will make them feel? I know it turns my stomach to think that if someone should choose to spread malicious lies about me to other people then this forum will do nothing to protect me!

I rather think your statements on this matter need to be rapidly revisited!

Category
Circolo di Conversazione

It is a difficult one, but I fail to see any logic in your assumption that a forum provided PM system should be 'policed' by the forum. Your e-mails are not policed by your ISP, (although they might allow you to opt to use their spam-filter, or indeed they might block messages from certain domains or ISPs).

However, you make a very valid point when you call it nonsense for Marc to say that 'PMs should not bleed into the forum'. These PMs about which we are talking (not the perfectly okay ones where you might not want to post a phone number openly, or you are setting up a get-together, or don't want to openly advertise some goods or services) are generated by posts on the forum, and sent with what often appears to be malicious intent.

If a number of intances of one poster doing this, and doing it repeatedly, are reported to the forum moderators it does seem reasonable that they remove the PM facility from that member. Simple as that. It has been done before.

If it is one individual, wouldn't everyone ignoring that individual's PMs have the same effect?

Marc you have requested the members to use the pm facility in a certain way. May I, politely, request that you and other moderators respond to pm requests from members?

[quote=Charles Phillips;118251]f a number of instances of one poster doing this, and doing it repeatedly, are reported to the forum moderators it does seem reasonable that they remove the PM facility from that member. Simple as that. It has been done before.[/quote]

Oddly enough, very few malicious PM's have ever been reported to the Moderating team. (I can't speak for direct PM's to Ronald) The people who complain most about receiving such PM's usually choose to take their grievance to the Forum. Its understandable, but my view is that we can't allow the Forums to become a public slanging match between people who simply don't like each other.

[quote=Marc;118261]Oddly enough, very few malicious PM's have ever been reported to the Moderating team. (I can't speak for direct PM's to Ronald) The people who complain most about receiving such PM's usually choose to take their grievance to the Forum. Its understandable, [COLOR=DarkRed][I][B]but my view is that we can't allow the Forums to become a public slanging match between people who simply don't like each other.[/B][/I][/COLOR][/quote]

"[COLOR=DarkRed][I][B][COLOR=Black]people who simply don't [U]like[/U] each other." ????
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Black]
Marc - you' really cannot be serious..[/COLOR].[/I][/COLOR]
What an incredibly gratuitous and totally unwarranted remark considering the past history that you [I]refuse[/I] to take into consideration!
[COLOR=DarkRed][COLOR=Black]Oh - and just as an aside..... I'm not suroprised you lot don't get many reports of malicious[/COLOR][COLOR=Black]PM's. There's no point in sending them - you never answer the damned things![/COLOR][/COLOR]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marc you have requested the members to use the pm facility in a certain way. May I, politely, request that you and other moderators respond to pm requests from members?

Nielo (and Carole) see my post in the Circolo...
I haven't received any PM requests from anyone, otherwise I would have responded...

[quote=gardahomes;118270]Nielo (and Carole) see my post in the Circolo...
I haven't received any PM requests from anyone, otherwise I would have responded...[/quote]

Thank you Gardahomes.

My request was to Marc because Marc [B]has[/B] received polite requests both in pm and in posts but has never responded.

[quote=Charles Phillips;118251]It is a difficult one, but I fail to see any logic in your assumption that a forum provided PM system should be 'policed' by the forum. Your e-mails are not policed by your ISP, (although they might allow you to opt to use their spam-filter, or indeed they might block messages from certain domains or ISPs).

However, you make a very valid point when you call it nonsense for Marc to say that 'PMs should not bleed into the forum'. These PMs about which we are talking (not the perfectly okay ones where you might not want to post a phone number openly, or you are setting up a get-together, or don't want to openly advertise some goods or services) are generated by posts on the forum, and sent with what often appears to be malicious intent.

If a number of intances of one poster doing this, and doing it repeatedly, are reported to the forum moderators it does seem reasonable that they remove the PM facility from that member. Simple as that. It has been done before.[/quote]

i think its wrong for anyone to abuse someone for postings on the forum... by posting in public we all run the risk of this... but if someone chooses to abuse that public part of the forum by making fun of, name calling or persistent harassing because they do not like either by whom something is written or the content then to me that is against the spirit of the free forum and the freedom on here to express ones views and whoever abuses that if they are reported should not have their PM function removed they should be banned

if they post what they say behind peoples backs out in the open then i would think they would be banned in any case so what is the difference

the freedom of this forum is generated by the freedom to post your opinions on things and events , laws and life within forum ruled guides and accept the public forum consequences of what you write not be harassed by cowards that ridicule you outside the public forum

i suggest in this spirit of openness that all nasty PM messages received in the last four weeks or whatever time limit is thought justified.are now posted ... in public ...if there is was or has been something to say get it said here and lets have done with the cowards of the place that think they can live with two faces...

maybe for once and for all if this is done the next time someone thinks to write something off forum regarding another memeber that could be considered abusive they will then consider twice what they put down in writing...

i have stretched to the limits in the past what could be said in the open and lived with the consequences... so this will be interesting to see exactley what is behind all these poisoned messages

by the way Marc... suggest maybe you collaborate with garda on this one as she seems quite willing to help out in sifting through what seems to me to be quite a load of dirty washing... worse most probaly that the job of nappy disposal at home... hope you use throwaway ones ....

I have absolutely no idea what is going on but it is becoming very tedious and tiresome whenever I log on to check new posts.
This is how forums die.

[quote=PennyAW;118347]I have absolutely no idea what is going on but it is becoming very tedious and tiresome whenever I log on to check new posts.
This is how forums die.[/quote]

You may choose not to read new posts.

There is currently some friction on the forum - agreed, but I have yet to clap eyes on a forum so lively let alone one that has just raised over £8,000!

How extraordinarily negative you are.

Moxie

What keeps forums alive is discussion, differences of opinion, laughs as well. Unfortunately friction and fiction are a part of human intercourse. Negative, positive? Only we can decide what we read or choose not to. Rambling now.

[quote]Only we can decide what we read or choose not to.[/quote]
The compulsion to read everything is too overpowering, even if we know it will be negative.

We must have the board administrator decide what we read or don't read.

You think this board is full of friction, phfuh!! I frequent only one other forum, an Italian language one for women only, discussing various aspects of pregnancy, childbirth, weaning and all that fascinating stuff (ahem). You should see the insults hurled around there! This forum's like a mild chicken korma to its vindaloo.
:bigergrin:

[quote=Campfield;118374]The compulsion to read everything is too overpowering, even if we know it will be negative.

We must have the board administrator decide what we read or don't read.[/quote]

This is an open forum not a prison!
I think I speak for most when I say that we know our own minds and are perfectly well equipped to make the decision "to read or not to read":yes:

I should have made it more obvious- it was tongue in cheek. See the other thread about policing private messages, etc.