12170 Alternatives to Telecom

I've had it to the back teeth with Telecom. Not only can they not organise me broadband connection, despite frequent requests. Aledgedly it's 'not available in my area'. The neighbours managed it though! Then every time there is the faintest hint of a thunder storm the line goes down. This usually happens on a Friday night, so that it then does not get fixed until Monday afternoon, or as was the case at the Easter weekend, Tuesday afternoon. I was the whole Easter weekend without means of tele-communication.

Has anyone one got any experience with alternative providers, please let me know. With almost 10% the time without a functioning line, I don't know what I pay service charges for:madd:

Category
Cost of living - Utility Services

We had a lot of problems with Telecom too (although it seems stable now!!) so if you get the info i am interesting too!!:winki:

Do not do it. Telecom Italia is the least worst option, and mending you line by Tuesday sounds like pretty brilliant service to me!

[quote=Heiko;116870]I've had it to the back teeth with Telecom. Not only can they not organise me broadband connection, despite frequent requests. Aledgedly it's 'not available in my area'. The neighbours managed it though! [/quote]
Alice ADSL is unavailable here too. Down the road others have it. I don't know how to get Telecom to run their cable the extra mile.

It's worth keeping an eye out for masts appearing on hills around you as broadband aerials are springing up. Check ADSL web site for availability. We used mobiles until these boys lobbed up and fitted a receiver in half an hour flat. We now use a Belkin Skype phone and talk worldwide for about 10€ a month, with long chats to Australia nearly every day. The net contact is fast too and can easily keep up with live stock prices streaming into my 'Updata' system.

And TI are now offering (once you have their ADSL line) an ADSL only offer - called Alice Casa I think. This means you don't have to pay the TI 'voice' canone (about €17.50 a month) - just the €20ish a month for the 'data' line. I must pursue this offer - using a voip phone it means you can get everything (without time or download limitations) for a flat fee of €240 per annum (I think!) I'll research and post on this because it makes sense for even non permanent residents.

to keep the ball rolling... have a look on [URL="http://www.tecnoadsl.it"]www.tecnoadsl.it[/URL] to see if there is a mast near you.... things are changing all the time. We have a relay off our receiver which beams the signal on to another 7 houses, so you may be closer to a solution than you think.

Well there's no mast springing up, with the walls 4 foot thick, there's practically no mobile signal either and being without any communication options for something like a week out of every 2 months is not what I call a service. I'm thinking of witholding part of the service charge, if I had any chance of getting away with it.

You are not alone Heiko. Our neighbours suffer much the same. In fact they "walk the line" so to speak and if they find it cut, actually mend it themselves. Don't ask me how! I have raved at Telecom on their behalf and can only conclude that when the Telecom man turns up you give him a €10 tip and ask him for his mobile no. Cry if necessary. You need a "friend" with influence if the problem is as bad as you describe.