6930 Internet cafes

Prompted to post by Pilchard's thread elsewhere that he/she will not be able to access the site for a while due to no Net connection and posters' suggestions that he finds a Net cafe. My Telecom Italia/Alice problems continue so I'm often left at the mercy of these places but, around here at least, they are few and far between. The nearest one to me is closed for a month for summer holidays (and has an erratic connection even when it's open), the second nearest has just closed down entirely. And I couldn't help noticing in Siena earlier in the week so many tourists asking where the nearest Internet Cafe was (no one could answer). One Rymans stationery type store even has a sign in several languages saying "don't ask, 'cos we can't provide Internet access". Is this the same elsewhere in Italy?

Category
Cost of living - Utility Services

No, I find this very unusual; it seems that [I][B]anywhere [/B][/I]tourists gather, there's an internet cafe!

Consider yourself lucky :wink:

[QUOTE=Violetta;63606]Prompted to post by Pilchard's thread elsewhere that he/she will not be able to access the site for a while due to no Net connection and posters' suggestions that he finds a Net cafe. My Telecom Italia/Alice problems continue so I'm often left at the mercy of these places but, around here at least, they are few and far between. The nearest one to me is closed for a month for summer holidays (and has an erratic connection even when it's open), the second nearest has just closed down entirely. And I couldn't help noticing in Siena earlier in the week so many tourists asking where the nearest Internet Cafe was (no one could answer). One Rymans stationery type store even has a sign in several languages saying "don't ask, 'cos we can't provide Internet access". Is this the same elsewhere in Italy?[/QUOTE]

in our vicinity in the marche in two of the nearest towns there are about four of these,only used one once but all seemed to have reliable DSL didn't cost much...

Around where I am in Como, there are quite a few internet places - either in a bar, or more usually at Western Union money transfer places - there's usually always an internet terminal or two in these places. Of course, this is the more industrial north and it's to be expected, but it's also worth enquiring at Western Union money transfer offices, as they can usually provide access.

In Florence a few years ago we got internet access in a launderette on the road parallel to Via Romana around Pitti Palace. Took ages to log in as we couldn't find the @ sign and it was coin in the slot access so no one to ask. However, once we had found the sign worked a dream!

When I lived in Siena in 2005 and in Florence in the first half of 2006 I used Internet Train. They have shops all over Italy, some large (like the one on via Alfani in Florence) that provide a wide array of services, and some like the one on via di Citta in Siena quite small. But the cool thing was the Internet Train card. You prepay for so many hours and you use it at any of their shops. It also meant not having to go through the hassle of showing your passport etc each and every time you wanted to log online. And I also found the prices to be in line with most of the other internet shops as well.

Hello Paliowinner. I noticed your member name and want to let you know there is a very interesting and long running thread on this forum all about the Palio. Take a look here. ~> [url]http://www.italymag.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1562&referrerid=3894[/url]

I know and have used Internet Train in Florence, they're great. But around here they seem to be small independent outfits that open up and close just as quickly. I love the post about finding one in a launderette for checking your email is a brilliant way of killing time whilst waiting for the wash cycle to finish!

In smaller places it's quite hard to find Internet Cafes, I've discovered over a year of travelling around Italy. A few tips to add to those already mentioned:
- don't ask for internet cafe, ask for "punto internet". I got told there was no internet "cafe" in the area, because the place in question doesn't serve coffee!
- shop around (where you have a choice!) as prices vary from E1 per hour to E5 per hour!
- Some tourist offices have a list of internet points.
- Try the library! Most do free (if time-limited) internet and they don't insist on you being resident to use it.
- Anywhere - library or punto internet - you will need a passport or similar to use the internet, by law.

It's been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum but most libraries have internet facilities. I pay €1 per hour in mine. No coffee though .....

there are two on the island of Capri - both in Capri town itself and down by the harbour. Found this out last year when we were leaving the island to return back to UK and all the flights had been cancelled due to the terrorist alert.

I was complaining yesterday about bored looking men moping around in dress shops getting in the way of other shoppers whilst their female friends tried on frocks and my husband came up with the idea that ladies dress shops should always include a coffee shop with Net connection so as to give gentlemen something to do during the inevitable long wait!

[QUOTE=Violetta;65565]I.....ladies dress shops should always include a coffee shop with Net connection so as to give gentlemen something to do during the inevitable long wait![/QUOTE]

M&S at Leicester Fosse Park had a 'Husbands area' [and, I assume, for Male Partners too - just to placate the PC freaks] where you could watch TV on comfy sofas. [Haven't been there recently, so can't confirm its still there]

Spent many a happy hour there whilst 'she' attempted to bankrupt me!

'She' is obviously not trying hard enough and will require further lessons.

[QUOTE=Scrapspal;65579]'She' is obviously not trying hard enough and will require further lessons.[/QUOTE]

She keeps trying - different now i have retired and she is still working though - its more like bankrupting herself!

It was one of the few types of shopping I enjoy, womens clothes (that and tools but you reach tool saturation, never clothes)

I love buying them for my wife, it really is a visual feast, so much choice, though I prefer to go alone.

As usual last night, saturday at a pro-loco, I was treated to some terrific outfits, really quite striking. However I find (maybe it is just current fashion) they tend to get the footwear wrong, usually some kind of overstated boot