8119 Telecom Italia (187) and e-mail

We have just signed up for thre 24/7 dial-up internet service from TI (not Alice) - ADSL not available but arriving end of this year (so a letter from them and posted up at the commune advises!!!!)
Amended our e-mail accounts to show "outgoing mail server (SMTP)" to SMTP.telecomitalia.it but are unable to send e-mails - receiving them is fine on all our accounts, some UK based and one Italian.
Anybody suffered similar issue? How was it/can it be overcome?

Thanks.

Category
Cost of living - Utility Services

Firstly, I know nothing about Telecom italia and I don't live in Italy or have a dialup ISP out there. I'm only posting just in case nobody else replies & on the off-chance that some general pointers may help youi make progress.

1. have you correctly specified your logon credentials to the server (you normally need to give it your ISP login name/password, or whatever else the ISP tells you) - [COLOR="Red"][I][EDIT - just remembered this only applies to receiving, not sending - so you can ignore it, sorry ... but also remembered you need to specify an SMT port (usually port 25 but not always) and the ISP may use encryption too?][/I][/COLOR]

2. Does your modem physically outdial if you're off-line when you try to send a mail? if not, the problem may be down to your mail client settings for on/offline working and frequency of checking for new mail etc. Unlikely if you are receiving mail OK, but worth checking just in case.

3. what (if any) error message is returned by mail client when you try to do a "send" (eg. for Outlook Express, look for a yellow triangle at bottom of the window - if it's there double click for detail on any errors - that may show you more info on the problem

4. Did TI tell you that "smtp.telecomitalia.it" was the address of their SMTP server or did you guess/assume? If the latter it may not be true. Their SMTP is in public lists as just "191.it" (note - NOT [B]smtp[/B].191.it or [B]mail[/B].191.it, [B]just[/B] 191.it). Suggest you double check this. [COLOR="Red"][I][EDIT - I've just got to a PC and tested smtp.telecomitalia.it - looks like it is the correct name as it is responding to me as I would expect. So forget the following paragraph too I'm afraid][/I][/COLOR]

If you are still stuck, try just entering "191.it" as your SMTP server and see if it helps. Nothing to lose & it might just do the trick (but remember to change it back if it doesn't work!).

[quote=simonandjo;75904]Amended our e-mail accounts to show "outgoing mail server (SMTP)" to SMTP.telecomitalia.it but are unable to send e-mails - receiving them is fine on all our accounts, some UK based and one Italian.
Anybody suffered similar issue? How was it/can it be overcome?

Thanks.[/quote]

I've had a look at the settings that I used to use when I was dialing up to Telecom Italia and in the server properties tab I have the following:

in.alice.it (in the posta in arrivo (POP3) box)
and
out.alice.it (in the posta in uscita (SMTP) box)

HTH Lesley

Are you pehaps inadvertently attempting to send e-mails using an address which is not a telecom italia address? For example, if you reply to an e-mail which has come into your inbox even though it was addressed to an 'old' e-mail address, your post program will assume you wish to use that 'old' address for the new messsage, and telecom italia will reject it.

[quote=iwanttobeinitaly;75981]I've had a look at the settings that I used to use when I was dialing up to Telecom Italia and in the server properties tab I have the following:

and

HTH Lesley[/quote]

but 'simonandjo' said their service was "from TI (not Alice)" ? mind you, probably worth a try anyway.

you could check if you have the box ticked in your options which says 'requires authorisation' If so you need to put auth.smtp.telecom.it as your outgoing setting. It depends which email server you are using

[quote=pigro;75993]but 'simonandjo' said their service was "from TI (not Alice)" ? mind you, probably worth a try anyway.[/quote]

Hi Pigro,
Oh yes, so they did. .....
But I have had an email address with alice.it on the end right from the time I signed up with Telecom Italia (I had to use dial-up originally as broadband wasn't in the area)
When broadband became available I just kept the same email address.
(Hadn't recognised the relevance of the alice.it part on my addy until you mentioned it though!)

Having said that I may also have changed the settings etc when I became broadband enabled so I could be talking hogwash, apologies if so!

Best wishes, Lesley

[quote=iwanttobeinitaly;75981]I've had a look at the settings that I used to use when I was dialing up to Telecom Italia and in the server properties tab I have the following:

and

HTH Lesley[/quote]
Thanks Lesley. You're a star!!!! Setting to out.alice.it has done the trick now we can send on all our e-mails accounts