12397 Stripping

When I was in the UK I could get my furniture stripped for me by a chap with an acid bath. Does this sort of thing exist in Italy?

Category
Furniture

Yes, you will find they have both furniture and baths in Italy.

Exposing your furniture to the screen of your computer while it is displaying the Italy Mag Forums might do the trick.

Why have my threads been deleted Marc? What rule did I break?

When I opened this thread I thought it was about a different type of stripping. What a disappointment to find out it is about furniture.

Nielo, I understand what you mean because in some countries this type of services to help restore or recycle antique and vintage furniture does exist. I have seen furniture in Italy, particularly in antique and vintage fairs or shops, which has obviously undergone this type of process, but it looks as if it is difficult to find a place offering that type of services. The only company I have found is this one, [url=http://www.simet-torino.it/]Simet[/url] but there is a little problem, they are located in Turin.

[quote=Marc;120275]Exposing your furniture to the screen of your computer while it is displaying the Italy Mag Forums might do the trick.[/quote]

Um, if I valued my furniture,I am not sure I would do that if I were you Nielo, as they wouldn't just be stripped, they would actually totally vanish with one stroke of a censors pen.

About 3 yrs ago, I asked the architect who I employed at the time about this. After explaining exactly what it was, there was much sucking of teeth, and then a guess that if such a thing was possible it would be in Rome. About 3 weeks later, I found that acid stripping of woodwork was offered by someone a few km away.....

With the benefit of hindsight, though, I wish that they had been less accessible. The doors came back cleaned of paint, but very dried out, and the old wood was rather spoiled by the process.

Nielo, I will send you a pm with some details of contacts for this, but I have found eco-friendly paint stripping solutions much more effective. The down side is that its time intensive, and I couldn't find the solutions here, but had to have them sent from the UK. The upside is that its much kinder to the wood.......

[quote=Nielo;120270]When I was in the UK I could get my furniture stripped for me by a chap with an acid bath. Does this sort of thing exist in Italy?[/quote]

Nielo

It wasn't John Haigh was it?

on a more serious note Nielo there is a thread running under building/renovation regarding stripping shutters and that may hold some useful info for you, inc the idea of sandblasting - may be too agressive for your furniture.....