12079 Where to find wild asparagus?

On holidays in Liguria we found places where wild asparagus grew, now we moved to south-Piedmont and of course I'd love to find them again.
Do they grow in specific habitats, anyone knows more about where to find wild asparagus?

Category
Gardening & Agriculture

Wild asparagus prefer dry, sunny places to grow.

I know where there’s some, but I’m not telling you lot!:bigergrin:

Gala is right best place to look is south facing slopes.

And is it allready the period to find them?. Because I'm looking and looking, ... but not seeing anything ...
Well, not the asparagus anyway.

Yesterday I made "frittata di primula", taste was good and the view even better !

[CENTER][IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/nataschadm/frittata2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/nataschadm/frittata3.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]

They are generally found in abundance towards the end of winter and for about a month, but this largely depends on weather conditions. Nielo is right, nobody will tell you were to find them, this is a closely guarded secret. But nothing like a risotto with wild asparagus..... Yummy!!!!!

We have it all over our garden. We bought an old ruin which had to be knocked down and rebuilt and the wild asparagus was growing at various places on the plot. We are on a south facing slope, approximately 300m above sea level and have clay soil. Not sure if that helps.

You have the right orientation and because you are on a slope this possibly counteracts the clay soil allowing for natural drainage.
I trust that you prepare lovely dishes with them.

[quote=Gala Placidia;115474]You have the right orientation and because you are on a slope this possibly counteracts the clay soil allowing for natural drainage.
I trust that you prepare lovely dishes with them.[/quote]

Only Asparagus risotto so far as I love this dish generally. Was rather naughty last year and didn't collect a lot of it but will not make that mistake again this year. I think there is also some growing along the side of the road (read unadopted track!) to our house but it got a bit battered with builders lorries up until last April when we moved in. This year I suspect it will recover and we may have enough to share.

Wild asparagus grows next to or in amongst a small spiny shrub that I cant remember the ruddy name of right now - but thats what you should be looking for as it's easier to find the prickly shrub and then find the asparagus rather than just looking for the individual spears.