12172 Garden membrane

Hi.
Has anyone found a supplier of ground cover membrane for suppressing weeds but able to cover with shingle and walk on? I have tried in our local town of Cassino but to no avail.
Am I the only one that finds it difficult to source things in Italy, or do others have the same problem?

Category
Gardening & Agriculture

Our local ferramenta has yards of the stuff so perhaps check out some more ferramente. I think you might be a bit startled by the amount of shingle required, you need a good depth and you may think in terms of lorry loads and not bagfulls - good luck!

Was in Brico today and saw rolls of membrane there. Agree with the comment on amount of gravel required, having just done our driveway. We had approximately 1 cubic metre of gravel for every 10 square metres of area.

Just a word of advice though, don't make it too deep, otherwise it is very difficult to walk on.

Russ

We had a huge area to cover and so bought a very long roll of it from a Vivaio. (Had to be delivered because of the length). Nurseries use this black plastic weed suppressant and so we asked at one. They were happy to supply us.

Hi. thanks for your reply & advice. One question or is it two ? what quality & how much per sq meter? Look forward to hopefully hearing from you. David

Hi. Thanks for your reply, did you find different types of stone/gravel and colour? What were the cost per cubic meter? Thanks look forward to hearing from you. david

Sorry David we just bought a big roll of the membrane because it was cheaper than by the sq mt. and it was 4 or 5 years ago, so price not remembered. Same with the gravel, we bought tons and tons and tons of it. As for the choice of colour that's impossible....it's a different colour when wet of course but you buy what the builders merchant has on offer plus delivery, (that can be expensive unless you have a trailer and are happy to make several trips with the load). Orginally we were "in the money" and bought washed gravel (very posh) for the area outside our small house but by the time it got to the big house we bought small gravel at the best price. This stuff gets a top up each year and the colour of the new stuff has to be mixed up a bit with the old, as I said difficult business colour!

To Noble.

Thanks very much for the info much appreciated.
david

Hi David,

I put over 400 m2 put around our house before graveling it all over. I bought it a place called P.B.E. here in Le Marche and it cost around 50cent a square metre. They never seemed to know the actual name for the stuff. It is water permeable which you will need for drainage. The black plastic cover you tend to get at agricultural places is not woven and won't let water drain away. Checking a nursery in your area for a supplier is another option. As someone else said already, they use acres of the stuff. P.S. if you get a long 3 or 4 metre roll, let them unroll it and fold it so you can get it in the car easily. It is very thin and not much bulk when "parceled". You'd need a van otherwise to fit the length.

Good luck sourcing it.