12452 Gabions

Does any one have any information on sourcing gabions (those metal baskets one fills with stone/rock) in Italy (Northern Tuscany would be ideal). We experienced a "Frana" this winter and gabions seem to be one option. We have been quoted for a concrete wall, reinforced and then faced but the cost is ENORMOUS! We like the idea of gabions filled with the original stone and then covered with jasmine to eventually hide the baskets. With the help of our gardener who is enthusiastic about the plan we could manage the installation ourselves ... if only we could find out where to get the gabions. They are all over the place on new roadways and verges so they must be available in Italy! Cheers, Jane

Category
Gardening & Agriculture

Hi Jane, the word gabion actually comes from the Italian "gabbione". If you do a search through the Italian Google, [url=http://www.google.it]Google[/url] , you will find plenty of information. I like your idea, much better than the concrete retaining wall. Keep us informed about your progress.
Good luck!

Thank you Gala, fantastic information as always. We had tried google.it but neglected to type gabbioni instead of gabions! I have some good contacts now, although most supply the construction field and our "frana" is too small for them. But I will keep you posted. Ci vediamo presto.

[quote=Jane R;121055].......... I have some good contacts now, although most supply the construction field and our "frana" is too small for them...................[/quote]

You can, of course, make your own gabions using strong wire mesh.

Work out what size gabion you want and cut out a cross shape that has one 'long leg [that folds over to provide the top] The size of the cross is determined by the gabion dimensions [if your not sure of the size to cut out, try making a scale model of the box in paper to get the idea].

Then form an 'open topped box' by folding the legs of the cross up to form the sides and tie these sides together with strong wire.

Place the box in position and fill it with various sizes of stone - not all one size - and pack it well. Then fold the 'top' over and tie it to the sides,

Ecco - one gabion!

It would probably be better to do more smaller gabions than a few larger ones.

What a hero you are Alan! I am suddenly feeling way more optimistic ... can't wait to see my husbands face though when I tell him. He was just relaxing into the idea of a quite Whitsun on the veranda :-)

Jane

Janie

I often thought of gabions for retaining walls - you could plant on top or even in pockets on the side. In the end I didn't need them, but would love to know how yours turn out - I think it's a great idea

Gabions were originally baskets filled with earth and piled up to form defences to cannon emplacements.
(Sorry, nothing to do with Italy, but interesting nonetheless)

Just a thought, but it might be worth consulting a geologist first. Depending on your problem, holding the earth back is one solution, but improving drainage might be an alternative.

We are in Le Marche. We had a gabbione wall built about 18 months ago (40 metres long by 10 metres high) to prevent earth slippage from the garden into the valley. They were metal cages filled with local stone, although the builder who provided them thought we were mad to spend money on local stone, when we could have used concrete blocks - as we wouldn't be able to see them unless we went down the valley ! You just need to find a local builders yard - normally indicated by piles of rubble (hard core) and bricks/stones that look like they have been used once already.

[quote=Marc;121093]Just a thought, but it might be worth consulting a geologist first. Depending on your problem, holding the earth back is one solution, but improving drainage might be an alternative.[/quote]

Unless you put plastic sheeting at the back of the gabions [and I wouldn't recommend that you do] the gabions will be free draining, and thus help reduce water levels in the soil behind the gabions.

No, you shouldn't use polythene sheeting, since this may trap groundwater and overload the wall. But you might use a geotextile, which will allow water to drain, wihout washing out fine soil particles.

Jane,

Can you can tell us the 'size' of the problem [length of slip and height of 'wall' required, plus the soil type (clay/sandy/etc)], plus a photo or two if possible?

I could [using my vast Civil Engineering "expertise" (from several centuries ago - when I designed things)] possibly advise on some types of solutions/designs.