10539 Puppies just found in bag in a ditch. HELP

My wife has just been for her evening stroll and found 6 puppies in a bag. They look at most a week old and we don't know what to do with them, we have brought them home for the time being but will be returning to Britain in around 4 week so cannot keep them. All the neighbours could say was animali and shrug their shoulders, so need some urgent advice has what we can do with them otherwise I will have to dispose of them as humanley as possible which is something I don't relish. Please help.

Category
General chat about Italy

There is a pet shelter called Plutos, not exactly sure where it is, but your local pet shop should be able to point you in the right direction..............good luck

Have already posted this on the Le Marche page but need help urgent. My wife has just been for a walk and found 6 puppies (probably less than a week old) in a bag at the side of the road, neibours have just shrugged their shoulders and said animali so no help there. please help, is there some one we can ring, we cannot keep them as we return to Britain in around 4 weeks.

Just hope we can keep them alive till then, don't even know what we should feed them on, trying bread and milk but they wont take it.

During the summer an Italian friend who was here on holiday also found some abandonned puppies - he contacted a local vet and took them there. The puppies were tiny and needed constant care which was arranged by the vet but I am not sure where exactly, a dog refuge of some sort I think. I think he said they had to be fed formula milk via a pipette which took forever so I would do the same and contact a vet local to you for their advice.

[url=http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/4-veterinario/3-san%20ginesio?misp=1]Veterinario San Ginesio | PagineGialle.it[/url]

In case you don't have access to a vets number here is a link to the yellow pages listing for San Ginesio, hopefully one of the two vets listed will be able to help.

If you happen to be returning via Liguria, you can drop one or two off here... Sorry can't be of more help.

Try this vet in Sarnano if you have no luck. She speaks English so may be able to help better.
Dr Henna Annavinni Surgery 0733 658371, or mobile 3479364256.
Good luck

I'm sorry Hieko, I don't think thry are gonna last that long, but thanks for the offer.

Thanks Anne2 and Geotherm, will let you know hoe we get on, but I dont hold any hopes for the little blighters; some look weaker than others at the moment.

Feed them - half milk, half tepid water - no bread. If you don't have a pipette or an eye/ear dropper to hand - use the small finger of a rubber glove with one or two pin pricks in it and see if they will suckle. Failing that - try just coating your finger with the milk and trickling it very slowly into their mouths a little by wiping your finger gently over the front of their mouths - they will lick the milk off their faces. Good luck - it will be difficult to get them to feed and will take you hours to feed all six. They need feeding every four or five hours.

Sorry I'm not in the near to help but all the best for you both in this unexpected and somewhat distressing time.

our vet Dott Angelita Serri, passo San Ginesio ( at the bottom of your hill at the traffic lights) tel 349 8653579 tommorrow surgery 10.30 - 11.30 and every afternoon, good luck.
If you want to pm me we can translate for you, she is excellent
Ax

I really hope you manage to save the puppies and find loving homes for them, but I think you need to be prepared for the worst.

They are obviously too young to be taken from their mother and small puppies can decline very quickly.

I can offer no practical help but you have my total support. The advice you have been given is good, get them to a vet as fast as you can. Good luck I hope it turns out well.

Thank you all for excellent advice as always and thank you Geotherm, the Vet in Sarnano met us at her surgery at 21:00 last night and did not even charge us for it.
It is hard work feeding them, by the time the last one has been fed it's time to start again.
We are to ring the vet around 10:00 this morning which will give her time to try and find homes for them.
Don't know what breed the dogs are but there are 2 white, 2 black and 2 black/white, the vet say's they will grow around spaniel size so if anyone is willing to take one on please PM me, I am more than willing to travel.

Good news that the vet was onside - hopefully there will be happy outcome and the pups will soon have new homes.

Oh well done Sully and what a fantastic vet, fingers crossed that they find a surrogate mum and loving homes afterwards, you must be shattered this morning, if I wasnt going to England tomorrow I would come over and take a turn at feeding, let us all know how things go.
Angie

Hopefully a happy ending Sully. Please keep us all updated on how things progress

Spoke to the vet this morning who told us there is a charitable organisation who will take all six puppies as puppies are not a problem to re-home, but has asked us to keep them for the time we are in Italy (4 weeks) because they have very limited resources and could not re-home them at such a young age.
We did have a 2 which were not taking feed and looked very weak but seem to have perked up a bit so still fingers crossed.
I think the major problem we face now will be the emotional attachement after 4 weeks of feeding one end and cleaning the other end.

Hi Sully
If you could post some pics, you may get some takers..........and I could work on my other half ....lol

Hi all
Just a quick update between feeds - they all seem to be doing fine feeding well etc.
A very nice lady came on friday to have a look at them on behalf of her friends in Venice (the vet referred her to us) - they are interested in possibly taking one of the pups and are coming down to have a look next week (how they will be able to choose I don't know as they are all so gorgeous). She is also telling everyone else she knows to try and get them re-homed.
We only have 3 weeks left before we go back to the UK so time is running out - can you all tell your friends and get them to tell their friends aswell. We would rather they didn't go to the rescue centre as they have 400 dogs already and although they do a marvellous job they can't give them the love & attention they need.
Also need to know at what stage do eyes start to open so that we can try to determine their age.
Thanks again for all your interest & support.

Well done Sully and the wife. :smile:
Pups usually open their eyes around the 10-14 day mark.
I wish I was in Italy at the moment as I would be very tempted to adopt one myself.
I am somewhat allergic to dogs but an antihistamine would help that and walking a dog every day would help lose a few of those extra pounds. :bigergrin:

[FONT=Courier New]I have seen the puppies and they are simply adorable! What Karen and Antony have done to save their lives is a small miracle. But this is just the beginning.

What the puppies need now are good, loving homes. They deserve this after such a shocking beginning and I am determined to make sure this story has a happy ending. So, if you can offer a home to one of the puppies, please call Karen: 00 39 0733 668265.[/FONT]

Hi, any more news on the little ones?

[FONT=Courier New]Yes, yesterday the puppies were doing just fine, thanks to Karen and Antony's devoted care. I live nearby and am doing my best to help find homes for them. We only have 3 weeks to go before Karen and Antony must leave for UK. We cannot bear the idea of the dog pound. Would you have a puppy? [/FONT]

[quote=Sully;98286]Spoke to the vet this morning who told us there is a charitable organisation who will take all six puppies as puppies are not a problem to re-home[/quote]
Congratulations on what you have done, it's fantastic. It's so good to know that their are others who care for the stray and abandoned animals. We try to help the cats in our area and our friends who live close by take care of all the dogs, currently having 20 + in their small house and garden ([URL="http://www.pugliapooches.eu"]Puglia Pooches[/URL]. Could you let me have the details of the charitable organisation for me to pass on to Val and Mino as they desperately need to re-home some dogs to make way for more suffering ones.

Below you have a list of possible places where to put their tender puppies. Many of them have got a web site to get more information about. Good Luck! Hope they can help you!

IO NON TI ABBANDONO-Via Cardarelli, N.2 MACERATA
IL PICCOLO RIFUGIO-Via G.Pascoli, n.17 SASSOFELTRIO (PU)
LEGA NAZIONALE DIFESA DEL CANE-Sez.di Camerino-Loc.Mecciano.12 CAMERINO
A.R.C.A. MONTESANTO C/da Marignano, n.4 POTENZA PICENA (MC)
ANIMALISTI ITALIANI-Loc.Ceresola, n.7 FABRIANO (AN)
A.R.A.B.E.L.- Via Zanella, n.10 PESARO
I MIEI AMICI ANIMALI-Via Marche, n.1 MONSANO (AN)
LEGAMBIENTE CIRCOLO “LE CESANE” Via Rosselli URBINO (PU)
LEGA NAZIONALE DIFESA DEL CANE-Sez.di Tolentino-Via B.Buozzi 83 TOLENTINO (MC)
AMICI PER LA PELLE Via A.Manzoni, n.10 MACERATA
ANIMAL HOUSE-Via Cavallotti 54- PESARO
A.D.A.-Via Santa Croce, n.31/B FABRIANO (AN)
ANIMAL LIBERATION- Via Prelato, n.13 FANO (PU)
ASSOCIAZIONE “ANITA”-Via Caserme, n.3 FALCONARA MARITTIMA (AN)
PLUTO PROGETTO FAUNA-Via Faleriense, n.271 S.ELPIDIO A MARE (AP)
A.P.P.A.-Via L.Mercantini, n.48 ASCOLI PICENO

I use this occasion to underline how friendly and supportive this community is! Carry on like that!

I am busy sending the word into the world about the puppies. Today I have had an enquiry from a friend in London asking to see the photographs. Does anyone know the exact quarantine regulations facing any puppy should anyone living in UK consider adopting one?

If they have pet passports (which will take about 6 month and 100 - 200 euros per puppy) to get then there are no quarantine regulations.

It may also be able to import the pups without getting passports but still bypassing quarantine regulations, check out the DEFRA website for more info.

As to whether anyone living in the UK consider adopting one, why not? It's a more expensive option then going to the RSPCA or Battersea dogs home but the plight of dogs (and cats) here in Italy is far worse than those in the UK, and here they stand far less a chance of being adopted.
Val and Mino (Puglia Pooches) are going through the process of having two of their rescued puppies adopted into the UK. The pups should go to their new home mid December and their new owner is actively involved in the process and watching it every step of the way!

Thank you so much for this. I have sent this information to Jess and Grant in London and anyone else who is smitten by the plight of the bag puppies. Bless the puppies and bless Karen and Anthony.

All six are doing great, they are getting stronger by the day but still need loving homes. They are starting to try and stand but only managing an excellent impression of a rocking horse.
The charitable organisation the vet told us about was run by the vetinery service, as to its were abouts she didn't say. We will check all the sites out listed previously. As for the DEFRA website, the pet passport takes 6 mths to obtain (the rabies injection can be particularly nasty) or they have to go into quarentine, being just a few weeks old that isn't really an option. It did say there was some exclusins but I couldn't find what they were.
A big thank you to Helen for putting the super photos on for us and actively helping with the hunt for homes.

Hi, you asked if we would take a puppy - if we did not have a Florence then we would no doubt consider it but this small light grey ball of 2 year old tabby cat would not take well to a usurper in her territory. We have noticed in our village in Italy that there seem to be many cats who have no home/owners but they seem to get some food from some of the older residents and also from our cantinas (hence we have no rodents and thank God they can't reach the bats!!). It seems Italians are not overly pet people here and have their animals for work purposes, are we right or way off the mark?

Hi Guys
I just picked one up, a little beauty, the black and white one,,,,,,,,see new thread

Little Panda has a new home thanks to Deborah & Ricky....what a birthday present for both Ricky and the pup, congratulations to you both. You could tell that they are going to be inseperable.
The other 5 still need loving homes so please, please help, time is quickly running out. If you need convincing as to how adorable they are then check out Ricky's new thread.
This past 10 days has been the most emotional yet rewarding experience of my life, thank you all for your support and please keep spreading the word.

[quote=Sully;98880]Little Panda has a new home thanks to Deborah & Ricky....what a birthday present for both Ricky and the pup, congratulations to you both. You could tell that they are going to be inseperable.
.[/quote]

hi sully
just given him a little feed,he is now snuggled in my shirt, under my arm pit ( trust me to get a dog with no sense of smell :laughs:)...........and he has peed all over me........father and baby doing well ..........

Hi. Trying to persuade my other half to take one. However, we're going to be away from next week until beginning of November which is probably too late for you. Can you let me know which colours and (if you know) sex still need re-homing? Also, if you have, more recent photos would be great, so I can pass the word around in the Force area.

Hi Amazing
Have a look at the we need a name thread for the size, it was taken today, the rest of the litter are either black or white.......and one of them has the face of a polar bear, its a beauty.

Hi all
Nearly time for next feed so this is short & sweet.
The 5 remaining puppies are either all white or black with white chests.
There are 3 dogs (2 wht & 1 blk) & 2 *****es (1 wht & 1 blk). If anyone wants photos then please PM me your e-mail address as we can't upload them onto here as the damn thing just times out - thats dial up for you.
Amazing - We leave for the UK on Wed 29th Oct - but I'm sure some kind person would look after the pup for you till you returned in Nov.

I will pass by and take some photographs to post to all who are following this story. Karen says their eyes are open and they are trying to walk. Think about it, if you take a found-in-a-bag puppy you will be doted on by your beloved doggy for ever and we will love you. What more could anyone need? What Karen and Anthony have done shows such personal strength and devotion. I really admire them. Pictures to follow soon so keep reading and keep telling your friends and I am sure between us we can find homes for the five.

[quote=helenhelen;98966] Karen says their eyes are open and they are trying to walk.[/quote]

HI
Ralf aka Panda, is charging around like a mad thing, but no sign of the eyes opening just yet.:eeeek:

All 5's eyes are now open, even LB's (the runt), they are becoming master of escape aswell, need arms & eyes all over the place at feeding time.
[IMG]http://100_2145.JPG[/IMG]

This is such an uplifting story and thank heavens there are people like you and Karen, who care enough to put in so much effort to help the puppies survive - you deserve a medal!:yes: Just as well we don't live in Italy, or I might not be able to help myself. :smile: I do hope you manage to find equally good homes for the rest of the litter - they deserve it after such a tough start in life.

Hi All
The little fellas eyes have started to open, and he is waddleing around at great speed, he is getting BIGGER by the day, I think it may end up like the old joke, "Nice dog, where does he sleep"........."anywhere he bleedin wants"...........will post more pics when I can get a wide angle lens LOL

Just came across this new article on the Barga website and of course I've sent them your name Sully. :eeeek::winki::bigergrin:

[url=http://www.barganews.com/2008/10/17/37-puppies-looking-for-a-home/]37 Puppies looking for a home at barganews[/url]

37 would be a breeze now, can feed one with one hand whilst cleaning up after another with the other.Some more great new - another pup has got a new home, LB goes next sunday but better still the lovely couple (Sarah & Mark) that are taking her are going to foster the remaining 4 for a few more weeks.* Please Please don't forget about them, keep spreading the word, there must be more families out there that are wanting a puppy.They are now doing all the things a puppy should be doing, racing round headbutting everything, yapping to be fed etc etc...they are starting to be great fun to watch.
Think I've actually managed to get a picture on????????????

Hey Sully, That's kinda cute. If that were a puddy cat then I'd be tempted.

Sully and Karen have done a fantastic job raising the puppies, and I know that Sarah and Mark will be devoted to fostering them as they love animals as well, but if they keep one for themselves that still leaves 4 to find homes for. So can I urge members and guests to try to focus on finding a home for the remaining pups. Have cuddled Rickys puppy and fed him his bottle and he is adorable, there must be others out there who could give a good home to them. I shall continue badgering everyone I know can everyone else do the same.We must not forget about them. I am sure Sarah will post photos and keep everyone updated as well.
Angie

[quote=Angie and Robert;99695] Have cuddled Rickys puppy and fed him his bottle and he is adorable[/quote]

She means the dog, she means the dog :laughs::laughs::laughs:

Yes - can't wait until next Sunday when we pick the puppies up - Karen and Sully have done so well looking after them all and they all look so healthy and growing rapidly! It takes a great deal of time to feed and clean up after them all and we can only admire all the hard work that they have put in. The puppies really deserve good homes as they have had such a bad start in life but have since been so lucky finding Karen and Sully!

Wish we could keep another one, but not sure if Rusty (our other adopted doggy) would be too impressed. Will certainly keep posting photo's and info on their progress - only hope we can do a good a job as Karen and Sully have done - they deserve a medal!