12110 Abruzzo Earthquake Fundraising Drive

Some may have noiced how very quiet I've been in my postings since the 6th of April - not the time for my usual sarcasm and more a time of personal searching about what (if anything) I could do to help in a practical way. I'm not prepared to fly over and scramble through rubble or organise a bag of shopping to drop off at Amandola. Both would be totally pointless as I have no experience of either and both are already very well organised.

However, it seems quite a few people want to know how, where and to who they can donate money to help, but are confused as to where their money would best be used - there are so many different options available - so my idea is - why don't we at ItalyMag set up our own account where members can donate money and then send the total amount to worthy organisations as a lump sum?

Would this possible to arrange? Are Admin prepared to organise an account so we can do this and donate as one body helping another out at a time of need?

The recovery from any earthquake takes many years - there are funerals to organise - homes, hospitals, schools and businesses to inspect and repair or rebuild - there is the care of the people on a long term basis until those who will have their homes condemmed can receive the finances through either insurance policies or Government payouts that allow them to start rebuilding - and then of course, there is all the grief to deal with - counselling young and old alike so the lifelong effects are reduced and leave as few emotional scars as possible.

It all takes money - vast amounts - and if we were able to adopt this idea, although it would be a drop in the ocean - it would be one less drop other organisations and charities have to find.

So come on Admin - don't look for negatives as to why this may not be possible - give something back to the members here and open an account for us - or if you are not able to do this for perhaps legal reasons - allow a trusted member here to do it on our behalf.

Admin: Drive is now active - visit here to donate: [url]http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake[/url]

Category
General chat about Italy

Great idea, I’d certainly make a donation – probably won’t be huge because I have already done so and funds are a bit tight, but even a little donation if there are lots of them could mount up.

Maybe we could focus on one area of aid, I believe they are hoping to get the children back to school as soon as possible, perhaps we could buy books etc. I think they are quite expensive at the best of times.

This is such a positive thread - I love it
I'd trust ya to set it up JC, you or Gala or Mr Acorn or Nielo or ...? - I think IM would have a problem doing this (licencing ?) It'll be a double signatory account if memory serves me well?
I'd also like to see the money go to the children. Maybe the magazine could do an article on how the forum money was spent?
Awesome...

Moxie

I can hardly believe the mean spiritedness of some people!

I voted this thread as five star excellent because I truly believe that it is a really good idea but within minutes some nasty person had voted it down.

Are people here so shallow?

Lets not look for reasons why it cant be done or where the money should eventually go just yet - there's planty of time for us to fight about that kinda stuff later on.

Lets just try and get it up and running first - it doesn't matter if it's a penny or a pound that people are willing and able to donate - it all mounts up in the end.

Come on Admin - what d'ya say?

Could someone who already has a means of receiving money help, I'm thinking of perhaps a villa owner who accepts payment on line, that way we could just use their account as if we were making a deposit. If they emailed a receipt with "donation" in the wording and kept a copy they should not have to explain to the tax man with regard to their bank statements etc.

Could this work?

Come on admin! Run with it!

Re using someones business account, that's a no no. They will end up being taxed.
Italy Mag will have the resources. The money doesn't need to be in Italy until it is required. :yes:

I've escalated to Ronald...and flying off on holiday today, so can't chase any more........sorry!

Well I would suggest whoever is to be elected to oversee this set up a Paypal Account online. It's the easiest method. I would trust Adriatica here.

An after thought. Whereas the idea seems a good one, I would have thought most people have donated by now.

Paypal take a percentage off when you transfer to a normal bank account ...............

[quote=Sally Donaldson;115814]An after thought. Whereas the idea seems a good one, I would have thought most people have donated by now.[/quote]

I think you'll find we will keep right on donating - whose need is greater?

Moxie

Ricky what bank doesn't charge??? Anyway perhaps we could persuade Paypal who charges the least, to waive them.

There is a direct link to further donations above from this website should that be the case, Moxie.

[quote=Sally Donaldson;115814]An after thought. Whereas the idea seems a good one, I would have thought most people have donated by now.[/quote]

Have you? Stay out of this thread with any more negativity Sally please.

With regard as to who could organise an account - if Admin say no - and they haven't yet - then I know Nielo has had some previous experience working for charities and may be willing to help organise setting up an account or at least guide someone else on the best way to do it.

But lets give Admin a chance to respond first.

I would be happy to advise but a lot will depend where the money is collected ie UK or Italy

Lovely idea JC.

I would say that the best,safest and most tax efficient way is to set up an account with an organistion like [url=http://justgiving.com]Justgiving - the easiest way to fundraise and donate to charity online[/url] Nominate an appropriate charity and the UK Government contributes 28% also by way of a tax break via Gift Aid.

Whilst it is normally used for sponsoring an event, I am sure we can all think of something that can be done online that can be achieved collectively.

I know this is not quite the personal funding that members may have in mind, but it is quick, efficient and can be done without the need to consider the pitfalls of personal accounts etc.,

Everyone can log on, monitor the progress and post a comment too and the address can be emailed to hundreds if not thousands of people if we can get it to go viral.

Thoughts?

My experience with Justgiving has been excellent.

It is fantastic to see that people want to give now and worry about where the money is going to go later.

Right now the best thing would be to donate straight the Italian Red Cross - They are the people that right now are working to clear up the rubble, build tent cities and give food to people so currently any money should go straight to them as that is where it is most needed right now.

We have been promoting this through our front page, newsletters and also the forums.

Visit [url=http://www.cri.it/donazioni/index.php?modo=form&version=e&paypal=]Donazioni - Croce Rossa Italiana[/url] - Through Paypal they can accept any credit card and as I mentioned they need the money right now as even the hotels that are housing people currently are saying that they are running out of money.

In the meantime, ITALY is in touch with authorities in Abruzzo as our plan is to adopt one of the many reconstructions projects that will be taking place. This will likely be a long-term project and we are determined to do something that will generate a real result. For that we will setup an account jointly with the local authorities in question to work on it.

However, let me repeat that right now in order to feed, clothe, medicate and house people over the next couple of months the Italian Red Cross is probably the best place to donate. The link below is in english and it is quite straight forward.

[url=http://www.cri.it/donazioni/index.php?modo=form&version=e&paypal=]Donazioni - Croce Rossa Italiana[/url]

I have never heard of them Russ - probably because I don't go out of my way to seek this type of organistation out - but it could be one way to do it if all else fails and people don't want to do it collectively here - which doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Lets wait for Ronni and/or Cristiana to comment - could be a while.

Sorry Ron - crossposted!

Does this mean that we/ItMag cant set up a separate fund to donate into here - for the members to donate into as a collective group?

Just to follow up up Ronalds thread re Croce Rossa, I checked out what the British Red Cross was doing and found this [url=http://www.redcross.org.uk/news.asp?id=93875]Italy Earthquake Appeal launched | British Red Cross[/url]

Now as fund raising works extremely well when their is a common goal, target or group, I reckon a Justgiving account could be set up with the Red Cross being the recipient. I feel sure that we could ask them to direct all monies to this appeal.

Russ

Of course you can go ahead and setup an account - perhaps through something like justgiving.org or even just an individual's Paypal account.

I also believe that right now what is really important is to give to the Red Cross for the immediate needs. Stories in Italian media today are about hotels saying they only have money/food available for a couple of days so the weight will be on the Red Cross to provide. Then once the immediate needs are met we will be very happy to set up what

ITALY Magazine will be looking to set up a joint project with an Italian association - also so as to ensure that money is not wasted on taxes and transaction fees. Right now if you wanted to simply collect money that is not under any specific regime and would have to be taxed unless it goes straight to a charity.

Check out this page from justgiving.org

[url=http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-29002453/cmd/kbresource/kb-4434703749642479167/view_question!PAGETYPE?sc=11&sf=101133&documentid=359137&action=view]Justgiving knowledgebase[/url]

If the money does not go to a charity there is a 5% fee, VAT, etc. So although it will take a bit longer we prefer to do something where money goes to a clear project and an easily recognisable Italian organisation.

I do have an account with JustGiving from the 5 marathons on 5 continents in 5 days appeal I did (no, not really, it was something else) if you all feel this might work.

It would be in the name of "Italy Mag Forum Members Italian Earthquake Appeal" or whatever we wanted to call it.

It would be "ours" JC and labelled as such, so quite personal to Forum Members.

I can set something up in 10 minutes, if you would like me too and to nominate the funds to go to this appeal via the British Red Cross. This way we get an extra 28 per cent which we would not if we donate directly to Croce Rossa, as I very much doubt the Italian government has such an arrangement.

Yes? No?

Russ

Justgiving is extremely good and I have used them many times in the past. Setting up a page is very easy and, you are right Russ, anyone who is a UK tax-payer can boost their donation with gift aid.

Each year my mother in law puts together dozens of shoe boxes to send to children in areas of conflict, famine etc. Could this be a way of getting donations directly to the area. There may be many organisations which do this, I found this one

[url=http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk/]Home | Operation Christmas Child[/url]

Are there any removal people on the forum who might donate a little space each trip?

Yes Russ - go ahead and set it up - before we start getting all different ideas coming up and we lose our way or get entangled in a fight about the best way to do it - lets just do it.

The extra 28% is an excellent way to increase the amount - but can we make sure it goes to the Abruzzo Earthquake appeal part of the Red Cross - rather than just the general Red Cross fund?

Ignore my last post JC, Russ is the way to go I think, but I too would like to know it's not just going into the global pot.

Set up a page here: [url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url] with the British Red Cross as the recipients.

Will now get in touch with them and ask that the money is directed to the Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal.

ps: oops missed all the discussion about Russ setting one up. - Russ let me know if you did something already and I can remove the one I did.

[quote=Lollita;115845]Ignore my last post JC...[/quote]

What post? :bigergrin:

Lets give Russ some time to sort it out.

I am sure the Red Cross will oblige. I will give them a call.

Right, I will set it up now. Can we get our thinking caps on for an idea to get peope to join in? Something we can all do on line via the forum. A competition maybe for the most heartwarming story of charity that you have ever heard, limited to 100 words? As well as a donation, I will offer a first prize of 3 nights stay in our place FREE - provided that I can be a judge.

Hankies at the ready.....

Russ

No problem Ronald, this thread is moving like grease lightning, so I was still typing as you was posting. So leave the one you set up and you can contact the BRC.

So it just leaves the competition thread to boost the appeal, with a link to the appeal fund to be set up. Something a bit fancy I think, that can always be kept prominent, so that any visitors, members or not get to see it. Link also to amount raised so far. All a bit techy for me - I am just an ideas man. Any volunteers?

Lets see how much we can raise! :yes:

[quote=ronald;115846]Set up a page here: [url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url] with the British Red Cross as the recipients.

Will now get in touch with them and ask that the money is directed to the Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal.

ps: oops missed all the discussion about Russ setting one up. - Russ let me know if you did something already and I can remove the one I did.[/quote]

Can we start one of those threads that never goes away with Russ's competition? Is it a sticky? Call it The ITMag Earthquake Fund.

Then, [I]whenever,[/I] anyone has inspiration they can 'launch' a fundraiser to keep filling the pot.

For example, I can do an Agony Aunty Special for a day, when everyone can make a donation for every problem posted.:reallyembarrassed:

I have plenty of other suggestions.

We need to keep it 'alive'.

Photo competition ?

Donate to enter, and the prize ..... front cover of Italy Magazine (please Ronald :winki:)

I would go with people rather than places, too many postcard entries (sunflowers, poppies)

Winner could be decided by vote/poll.

OK - so after a bit of back and forth with Russ and crosspostings! I guess we can settle on the following page as the fundraiser page:

[url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url]

I've e-mailed the British Red Cross about connecting this drive to the Abruzzo Earthquake - and will report back once we have an answer.

In the meantime I've updated the appeal page on ITALY Magazine to include information about this.
[url=http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy/abruzzo-earthquake-how-you-can-help]Abruzzo Earthquake - How You Can Help | | Travel to Italy - Italian People & Places - Italy Style, Food and Wine[/url]

Tomorrow we will post the information once more through newsletter, Facebook, Twitter and all the other channels.

Photo Competition sounds good. Donate to enter and winning image becomes front cover of Italy Magazine. Yes we could do that!

You can also promote the donation page by adding a link to it on your website. Italymag too could add it.

In the code of your web page add some more keywords pertaining to the earthquake.

I see that Estate Agents seem not to have mentioned the earthquake on their websites, and wonder if they, especially the ones in Abruzzo, could be contacted say via a mailshot with a request that they might also like to add a link. I would be happy to do this.

What about a competition for the best photograph of L'Aquila/Abruzzo pre or after earthquake??? Different categories??? Then for best overall image.

I think we might be sharing a brain cell Sally !!!lol!!! :winki:

Though I don't think after pictures are the way to go.

[quote=juliancoll;115844]Yes Russ - go ahead and set it up - before we start getting all different ideas coming up and we lose our way or get entangled in a fight about the best way to do it - lets just do it.

The extra 28% is an excellent way to increase the amount - but can we make sure it goes to the Abruzzo Earthquake appeal part of the Red Cross - rather than just the general Red Cross fund?[/quote]

This point was my big worry when my site decided to use our 'PayPal donation account' to then be able to pay into the ARCI Abruzzo Circolo. We just wanted our money to go to a bona fide Earthquake Fund that was '[U]there[/U]' and because of that they would know what was needed quickly....
Yes the big charities like the Red Cross, Caritas etc. are wonderful, but I always fear that all the little donations get lost in time consuming deliberations on the what's and when's and how's.

Yes I'm sure too that many have already given, but if - as JC and others are suggesting here - a particular project is chosen, then I for one wouldn't stop at just one donation. But I'm like many others here, it [I]doesn't grow on trees[/I], but this way I could manage a 'little bit' a lot of times....

Go for it and just tell us where to send the dosh!

[B][url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url][/B]

[COLOR="red"]Come on everyone - it's easy - just click the link above or below, follow the directions and make a donation. Lets see how much we can raise - no need to have a prize or a competition for this right now - that's not what this is about - so get your credit cards out and put your money where your mouth is.

I've started the ball rolling - lets pick it up and run with it now. We can do prizes and competitions to keep it going when it starts flagging[/COLOR].

[B][url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url][/B]

Take it outside please and stop filling this thread with unhelpful and unrelated posts.

Otherwise this thread will become another spat between members and detract from the real purpose - helping people!! Even better if the mods can completely remove these posts.

Now back to fund raising. Go to your email, access your address book, add everyone to a new email, put in the Just Giving link per above and send,send, send!

It will be a grand before we know it! :yes:

[quote=juliancoll;115866]Ignore her Lol - she is always determined to upset the applecart with her selfishness.[/quote]

I was away from home for a few hours so I was unable to post my opinion on the matter. I do agree that every little bit helps and it is a very sound idea to try to raise as much as possible to help the victims; however, I think that it is most important to help in the most efficient way possible and this needs good logistics. I do not agree with Carole's comments about the Italian Red Cross and Caritas, they have been there from the very start and they know what they are doing, they are not wasting time discussing issues, they are acting. This is why, I have already sent our donations to both. Why two charities? The Red Cross gives help in general. Caritas does the same thing but they also look in a very efficient manner after immigrants, both legal and illegal, and from what I have seen and heard this group is currently getting little help and in the future will go last on the list of help recipients. So somebody who does not discriminate on the grounds of ethnic origin, religion and culture will be an important player in the distribution of help and they have a large number of volunteers in Italy. I have seen on TV several Chinese and Romanian families who have lost everything and do not know what they are going to do and they feel abandoned. Caritas has started an appeal which is going to be backed by all its branches around the world, as they usually do. If you want to know more about what they are doing, have a look at their webpage: [url=http://www.caritasitaliana.it/pls/caritasitaliana/V3_S2EW_CONSULTAZIONE.mostra_pagina?id_pagina=1323]Caritas Italiana - Emergenza terremoto in Abruzzo: mobilitazione della rete Caritas[/url]
Anyway, help is always needed and I congratulate everyone for their efforts.

I understand what you are getting at Gala - but this is something we as a forum are doing to help in only one way - something that is personally from all of us here on the forum to show we care and to offer monetary assistance. We are not discriminating - we are raising money for ALL inhabitants in Abruzzo affected by this eathquake. We do not wish to get into the politics of how the money is spent beyond ensuring it does go towards earthquake relief in Abruzzo.

People are obviously free to donate to as many or as few organisations as they want or can afford to - but even so, I hope as many as possible will also dontate to this one as it is a collective forum effort from "us to them". Donations of ONE SINGLE POUND will be as gratefully received as any other amount.

SIX HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE POUNDS so far - which kind hearted soul will make it six hundred and twenty six?

[quote=Sally Donaldson;115856]
I see that Estate Agents seem not to have mentioned the earthquake on their websites, and wonder if they, especially the ones in Abruzzo, could be contacted say via a mailshot with a request that they might also like to add a link. I would be happy to do this.
[/quote]

I think the problem for the estate agents is that they will be wanting to distance themselves from the earthquake area as it will be putting many people off buying or even holidaying in the area - I know a lot of my parent's friends have been phoning my mum to check we weren't in Italy and how near our house is to the earthquake area and friends who were thinking of going to Italy are now having second thoughts. At least at the moment many people will want (for safety reasons) to stay away.

Support the ideas to raise funds but I think directing it via Red Cross/Crocce Rosa who are on the ground and know what is most needed is the way to go rather than us deciding on what we think should be bought.

Chris

Yes that had occurred to me Chris, but then on the other hand, most potential clients will have a fair idea about the possibility of earthquakes. Property isn't selling anyway these days. Therefore by putting a link on their homepage it might be viewed favourably as a gesture of compassion and solidarity by these potential clients, and so on.

Hats off to all the positives here!

When I worked In charity (Children’s hospice) we had so many teddy bears we did not know what to do with them and we had donors saying ‘we want to buy a piece of equipment’ when we were already very well equipped, but no one was very interested in paying the electricity bill (to run all this equipment). The best donations we ever got were money we could use for whatever we needed. So perhaps it is best to let the appeal fund organisers decide how the money could best be spent and not tie it down too much?

For example, at the moment they are asking for shoes, it would not have occurred to me, so many people were in bed and no one was wearing shoes.

Anyway lets go for it

Sally shut up please - or I really will squash you.

We're up to SEVEN HUNRED AND TWENTY FIVE POUNDS NOW!!

Fabulous - you're all fabulous - come on let's get it up to a grand tonight! You know we can do it. :yes:

[B]OH MY GOD!![/B] :swoon:

Whoever you are.. thank you - wonderful. The total is now [B][COLOR="red"]ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIX POUNDS![/COLOR][/B]

Time to dig deep (well not that deep).

I know times are increasingly difficult at the moment but there are 7500+ members on this forum and if we were all to chip in a tenner (Pounds, Euros, Dollars or whatever) we could make a real difference to those suffering severe hardship in Abruzzo.

So come on ...... cough up !!! :yes:

[Color=Red][B][url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url][/B][/Color]

British news channels seem to have given up on this now, just odd snippets. I think it was this morning on News 24 I heard the story of a dad who had written his mobile number on the back of his son's T shirt, just in case he got lost in tent city whilst "on holiday" - he has been inundated with calls from all over Italy offering money, shelter or just kind words.

Are you sleeping in a bed tonight, I am and my kids are. If you own a credit card you can afford £2.00 please make a donation - sorry to sound a bit Bob Geldof.