12116 Farmers need help

It struck me that many people who wanted to offer practical help in the L'Aquila Earthquake may be able to help local Farmers who face tremendous problems in caring for their livestock with very few people to help them. It may be something practical we can do?

[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=black]''The crop emergency is far less severe than the livestock crisis''. In addition to temporary shelter for the animals, farmers are in urgent need of feed and hay. ''They also need volunteers,'' added Biso. ''Farmers simply don't have enough strength to deal adequately with their livestock on top of everything else''.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New][/FONT]

Category
General chat about Italy

Hi

Are you actively looking for volunteers? I have a lifetime of experience working in farming and veterinary work. My husband and I would like to help in some way. We have already donated to the British Red Cross. We have spent some time in Le Marche and speak a little Italian.

I am happy to provide my personal email address if this is helpful.

I posted this as it seemed many people were attempting to help with the rescue attempts in L'Aquila but were not able for all sorts of reasons.

I'm not sure who is co-ordinating the volunteers in this case - I extracted info from the bbc website.

Pehaps someone living in the area may suggest something?