12148 Women of L'Aquila

I came across this:
[url=http://tv.repubblica.it/dossier/terremoto-in-abruzzo/le-donne-di-san-gregorio/31639?video]Le donne di San Gregorio - Video - Repubblica Tv - la Repubblica.it[/url]

Which moved me - ordinary women from a frazione of L'Aquila talking about themselves and their hopes for the rebuilding of their Piazza, chiesa e, naturalmente, bar

Category
General chat about Italy

[quote=annec;116363]I came across this:
[URL="http://tv.repubblica.it/dossier/terremoto-in-abruzzo/le-donne-di-san-gregorio/31639?video"]Le donne di San Gregorio - Video - Repubblica Tv - la Repubblica.it[/URL]

Which moved me - ordinary women from a frazione of L'Aquila talking about themselves and their hopes for the rebuilding of their Piazza, chiesa e, naturalmente, bar[/quote]

Thank you so much for that annec... their words were so moving, and that poor lady when the 'scosse' happened - you could see her fear, yet it is still difficult to comprehend what it must be like for these poor people who have suffered more that 800 such moments in less than a week. And she had lost both her (old) and her daughters (new) wedding dresses under the rubble. It's those irreplaceable items and memories, added to the rest of their losses, that must be so painful.

Did you see - did you see how the second (quietly spoken) women was overcome with utter sadness when talking about her youngest daughters wedding and about her own dress for the wedding and how she reacted - how her hands started to shake when she thought there was another quake? Did you see how the second to last young women in the light blue top jumped in fear when she heard a little bang in the distance?

Thanks for posting this Anne - it brings home some of the terrible effects the people of Abruzzo are being forced to experience from the (long term) after effects of the earthquake.

Yikes. Thanks Annec

I've watched loads on the Italian TV, but that was very poignant. PLEASE nobody take this the wrong way - but I have never seen Italians use their hands less.

Again I feel very fortunate.

Thank you Annec, personal accounts really are more moving and revealing than cold statistics.

I had lunch today with my Italian (Tuscan) neighbours. They are full of admiration for the Abruzzese and how they are coping. My Tuscan neighbours' sentiments were that they are hard working people in this area of Italy. If anyone can pull off the rebuilding of their piazza, chiesa, and bar 'like they used to be' then these people can.

I really hope they are given the right support and funds to achieve this.

Only this morning I read coverage of Friday's state funeral and the journalist was describing how the mourners arrived with scarred faces, women with neck braces and men with bandaged hands. The article carried on, but I suddenly thought why did these men have bandaged hands? And then it dawned on me - [I]they were digging through the rubble with their bare hands.[/I]

The Abruzzese are very brave people. They had to survive hard conditions and many of them were forced to migrate. But they loved their land so much that those who could afford it came back and even spent their hard earned money in their land. I heard that the descendants of some of those migrants are sending considerable amounts of money to Abruzzo to help the victims and for the reconstruction of the towns. These people have a deep love for their homeland and they deserve all our admiration.