12177 Sim Card for use in mobile phone

[SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]My apologies if this question has been asked before. I did search but I couldn’t find a relevant thread :no:[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]Can I buy an Italian sim card to use in my mobile phone? And if so, any recommendations?[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]Many thanks[/FONT][/SIZE]

Category
General chat about Italy

You are busy this morning!

To buy an Italian SIM card you need a Codice Fiscale and your passport. (Or if you have one, an Italian identity card). It's easy to get a Codice Fiscale you don't have to be resident in Italy and if you search the past threads there's info re Codice Fiscale. This was the case at the beginning of April 2009.

[quote=Noble;116983]You are busy this morning!

To buy an Italian SIM card you need a Codice Fiscale and your passport. (Or if you have one, an Italian identity card). It's easy to get a Codice Fiscale you don't have to be resident in Italy and if you search the past threads there's info re Codice Fiscale. This was the case at the beginning of April 2009.[/quote]

[FONT=Century Gothic]CF done and dusted :bigergrin: [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]We don’t live in Italy permanently. I only want to buy a sim card to use in our existing mobile phone(s) when we are down there. Any recommendations? Thanks :bigergrin:[/FONT]

Take your CF and passport and minimum of € 5 to anywhere that sells Sim cards and you are away, but it is worth finding out if there is reception in your area with say TIM or Vodafone because around here, in places TIM doesn't work at all!

[quote=Noble;116988]Take your CF and passport and minimum of € 5 to anywhere that sells Sim cards and you are away, but it is worth finding out if there is reception in your area with say TIM or Vodafone because around here, in places TIM doesn't work at all![/quote]

[FONT=Century Gothic]Thanks very much :bigergrin: Who would have believed it was that simple! Yes both Tim and Vodafone are available in Pigna.[/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic]Now if I can just get WiFi sorted:wideeyed:[/FONT]

You'll need to check your own mobile is not locked onto just your UK network.

Good point. We bought a £20 Pay as you go, mobile phone from Vodafone to use in the UK and thought we could put an Italian Sim Card into it when we got home...........We can't.

At Vodafone in the UK they said the phone is locked and they would charge £20 to unlock it. It would take up to 2 weeks and they'd send us an email to confirm all the details. You can buy a Pay as you go, Vodafone, mobile here in Italy for about € 19.90 then you need to top it up of course as per UK. In Italy you need the CF and Passport of course to purchase a phone.

[quote=PAS 55;116997]You'll need to check your own mobile is not locked onto just your UK network.[/quote]

[quote=Noble;117003]Good point. We bought a £20 Pay as you go, mobile phone from Vodafone to use in the UK and thought we could put an Italian Sim Card into it when we got home...........We can't.

At Vodafone in the UK they said the phone is locked and they would charge £20 to unlock it. It would take up to 2 weeks and they'd send us an email to confirm all the details. You can buy a Pay as you go, Vodafone, mobile here in Italy for about € 19.90 then you need to top it up of course as per UK. In Italy you need the CF and Passport of course to purchase a phone.[/quote]

[FONT=Century Gothic]Yes good tip thanks for the reminder [IMG]http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/froehlich/a025.gif[/IMG] Our phones are unlocked which is why I didn’t want to buy yet another phone for use in Italy.[/FONT]

You might find the TIM offers worthwhile for mobile internet. You will need a usb modem that takes a sim card or a 'dongle' of some sort. You can I think get them from TIM or others. Alternatively you can get them over here.

We tend to renew at Modesti in Ventimiglia. The guys in the centro TIM are very patient with my poor italian and always sort it out for us. I find it useful to have two SIMS - they're not expensive. One for the mobile phone and one to use for the internet. The TIM Pay as you Go internet options are for 30 days and you have to renew them in the shop the following day. We find the €20 1 gigabyte ample for a month.

[url]http://www.tim.it/consumer/o671/tariffa.do[/url]

You will need your codice fiscale and passport to buy the SIM cards.

[quote=Cassini;117260]You might find the TIM offers worthwhile for mobile internet. You will need a usb modem that takes a sim card or a 'dongle' of some sort. You can I think get them from TIM or others. Alternatively you can get them over here.

We tend to renew at Modesti in Ventimiglia. The guys in the centro TIM are very patient with my poor italian and always sort it out for us. I find it useful to have two SIMS - they're not expensive. One for the mobile phone and one to use for the internet. The TIM Pay as you Go internet options are for 30 days and you have to renew them in the shop the following day. We find the €20 1 gigabyte ample for a month.

[URL="http://www.tim.it/consumer/o671/tariffa.do"]Maxxi Alice Facile Recharge - TIM[/URL]

[FONT=Century Gothic]You will need your codice fiscale and passport to buy the SIM cards.[/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Century Gothic]That's great news thanks so much Cassinni. We are down again at the end of May :Dancing_wub: I know exactly where that shop is because we often visit the WiFi cafe across the road:yes:[/FONT]

Just in case though

Via F. Turati 5, - 18039 Ventimiglia (IM)

You go in through the small electrical department through the TVs and and cookers to the telephone department.