12204 Canine Defence - L'Aquila

Today I received the following email from Francesca at the Canine Defence League at L'Aquila. I know that many of you will be getting 'tired' of the constant requests for donations, I apologise to you for thrusting this under your noses.

For those members in Marche if there is enough interest I will organise a collection point and drive donated dog food to the refuge for L'Aquila myself. PM me!

[B]gentile moxie,[/B]
[B]ci scusiamo per il ritardo nella risposta e vi ringraziamo per l'email.[/B]
[B]siamo in un momento di grande difficoltà, per cui leggiamo le email non molto di frequente: per un contatto più diretto potete chiamarci al 329.9064859.[/B]
[B]vi ringraziamo di cuore per l'offerta![/B]
[B]potete fare una donazione a questi riferimenti:[/B]

[B]- ccp n° 14046676 intestato a Lega Nazionale per la Difesa del Cane Sez. L'Aquila; [/B]
[B]- Conto Banco Posta IBAN IT 61 O 07601 03600 000014046676 - intestato a Lega Nazionale per la Difesa del Cane Sez. L'Aquila; [/B]
[B]- Paypal: [/B][EMAIL="info@cuccefelici.com"][B]info@cuccefelici.com[/B][/EMAIL][B] (Mastercard, Visa, Visa Electron, Carta Aura, PostePay).[/B]

[B]oppure, se avete cibo da donare, venire a trovarci nel nostro rifugio di l'aquila.[/B]

[B]contattateci per maggiori informazioni: nella home page e nel blog del nostro sito, tutti gli aggiornamenti.[/B]

[B]grazie di cuore,[/B]

[B]francesca[/B]

Many thanks to Gala for pointing me in the right direction - if you could post this in Pets Corner I would be grateful :yes:

[URL="http://www.cuccefelici.com"]www.cuccefelici.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake"]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/URL]

Category
General chat about Italy

Moxie, I have posted a copy of the letter you received in Pet's Corner.

We donated to the LAV earthquake fund- they are helping out pets and farm animals as well. Saw it here: [url=http://www.petsinitaly.com/pets_in_italy/2009/04/abruzzo-earthquake-aid-for-animals.html]Pets in Italy: Abruzzo Earthquake - Aid for Animals[/url]

Moxie!!!(and him) will go bananas if you bring home another dawg!:yes:

Seriously though, anybody in the Sarnano, San Ginesio, Penna area can PM me regards animal OR human requirements and I will happily collect, or arrange a meeting place. :bigergrin:

Thanks to all for your continued support.

There appears to be a little confusion re the pet food collection.
On Friday the beds will be taken by the Comunanza Red Cross to the disaster zone.
The pet food collection has not yet got a delivery date. We are awaiting for PMs from anybody wanting to donate something, contacting pet food shops, finding out how much interest there is. Moxie WILL be going to the Aquila canine refuge shortly, hopefully with a car load of supplies.
Please PM either me, Moxie or Sarah and Mark if you would like to donate some animal food. Anybody outside of this area who wants to do something for the animals, there are two options, PM any of us and we sort out a PayPal account to use or else use the following link (thanks Noma):-
Pets in Italy: Abruzzo Earthquake - Aid for Animals

Moxie,
Thank you for arranging the PayPal details for me. I sent a little donation off last night for the pooches (and any other animals of course). If I can, I'll send a bit more if you manage to do another 'food run'.

Thank you all for this initiative - you're all GREAT! :yes:

Just a brief update on the animal food collection as I have received another email from the refuge.

[B]carissima moxie,[/B]
[B]grazie di cuore per il sostegno.[/B]
[B]le crocchette complete vanno benissimo, grazie![/B]
[B]il nostro rifugio si trova a Paganica: l'indirizzo completo è "Località Aquilentro - 67100 Paganica - AQ", ma nessun navigatore è in grado di trovarlo. Se avete un navigatore inserite "Via S. Giustino - 67100 Paganica (AQ)" e arriverete nei pressi: da li vi veniamo a prendere noi (siamo un pò in campagna.[/B]
[B]comunque venendo dall'adriatica è sufficiente uscire a l'aquila est.[/B]
[B]chiamateci al 329.9064859 quando state arrivando.[/B]
[B]verreste il 1° maggio quindi?[/B]

[B]grazie di cuore per il sostegno.[/B]

[B]francesca[/B]

So...
We will be heading up to the refuge on the 4th of May with as many cars filled with animal food as we can organise.

Ideally they would like dry complete food - The plan is to collect as much money as we can from here (please PM sarahandmark for the PayPal info) then buy in bulk 20kg sacks hopefully this way we will be able to get more for the money and be able to swing some free sacks too!

In addition we are canvassing local shops to help out.

If there is any interest from individuals in the area from the Tolentino, Amandola Fermo triangle we [I]will [/I]organise collection points. Please bear with us as we are a tiny 'team' at the moment as one of our group is poorly.

Please help if you can :smile:

[URL="http://www.cuccefelici.com/"]www.cuccefelici.com[/URL]

I promise that we will post photos so you can see precisely where your kind donations have gone.:yes:

Please PM Moxie, DavidUno, sarahandmark or Hopla

[URL="http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake"]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/URL]

Please send me the PayPal details too.

My pooches are going to eat leftovers today, so that you guys can buy some proper biscuits for the animals in need.

We've just been offered the use of a large van and driver by another forum member for the animal food run....AmazingMarche:smile:. THANK YOU
So let's fill it!
For anybody around southern Marche, we are collecting!
Tolentino to Fermo and the environs send us PMs! We can collect or arrange meeting places.

The goods will be going to the refuge Monday 4th May:yes:

Hi spoke to Francesca at the refuge. They are also in need of bedding, collars, toys, food bowls, and medicines (wormers, frontline, etc.) So anything pet related will be greatly appreciated.

Just an idea that may work and could provide a large number of items that the refuge needs. I just opened the cupboard where I keep our doggies things and I found an Italian "Pedigree" food container which had this number: 800 303130. It is the "Servizio Consumatori Pedigree". Then, an idea came to my mind but a person fluent in Italian will be needed. This will be to call the number and tell them about the plight of the animals in Abruzzo and the refuge. I can imagine it will not be to much of a problem for them to send a truck full of supplies, if they have not done it before. Perhaps nobody has asked. Just an idea, but it could help a lot. The person who is going to ring has to be very convincing and tell them that this has been discussed in a Forum where many of us have animals and use "Pedigree" products. Twist their arm. Just an idea.....

This is a great idea Gala. I don't think my Italian is quite up to ringing them. What about convincing a local vet to do the deed and give them a call. Does anyone know a good friendly vet we can approach? Maybe there is one who speaks English or someone with reasonable Italian skills could persuade their local vet to make the call.

Thank you Gala - I'll call them first thing monday morning :yes:

Moxie

[quote=Gala Placidia;118085]Just an idea that may work and could provide a large number of items that the refuge needs. I just opened the cupboard where I keep our doggies things and I found an Italian "Pedigree" food container which had this number: 800 303130. It is the "Servizio Consumatori Pedigree". Then, an idea came to my mind but a person fluent in Italian will be needed. This will be to call the number and tell them about the plight of the animals in Abruzzo and the refuge. I can imagine it will not be to much of a problem for them to send a truck full of supplies, if they have not done it before. Perhaps nobody has asked. Just an idea, but it could help a lot. The person who is going to ring has to be very convincing and tell them that this has been discussed in a Forum where many of us have animals and use "Pedigree" products. Twist their arm. Just an idea.....[/quote]

I made some more research on the matter and they even have a "club" for pet owners and I can remember that some years ago they sent me a couple of small blankets as a gift for using their products. This will certainly cost them very little and they would gain lots of publicity by doing something good for animals in need. I did not need the blankets and I gave them to the local refuge. Good luck with the call and keep us informed.

Good news re pet food cash and carry, we are welcome to buy in bulk at Italmed in Treia ( once I've obtained somebody's IVA no.), thereby being able to get far more for our money :yes:. However they will not be donating to our efforts for a good reason. They were approached by the Croce Rossa last week and gave loads of animal food and cleaning products to them.
Allora amici, ANDIAMO!

Lovely Gala and all,

I have been busy this morning ringing and emailing several large companies in English and Italian to try to get some large scale support for the animal refuge in L'Aquila.

With regards the number you gave me Gala, I spoke to a lady who said that I must fax my request marked 'Urgente' - it occurred to me that if some of you who can write in Italian would be kind enough to add your 'facsimile voice' to mine we may have a better chance of getting that assistance!

Fax no. (0039) 0257 510890 mark your fax as 'Urgente' please.

Briefly outline what we are after and add the details of the refuge - thank you!

Lega Nazionale per la Difesa del Cane sezione di L'Aquila
S.s. 17 Bis n° 49 - 67100 Paganica (AQ)
p.i 01715890669 - c.f. 93009090668
tel.: 329.9064859 - fax: 0862.602196
[URL="http://www.cuccefelici.com/"]www.cuccefelici.com[/URL] - [EMAIL="info@cuccefelici.com"]info@cuccefelici.com[/EMAIL]

Ok ... also it would be helpful for those who wish to lend a hand to contact pet food manfacturers and request help for the refuge eg.

[URL="http://www.advisory.masterfoods.com/pedigreeuk/contactform.asp"]Pedigree® UK[/URL]

[url=http://www.eukanuba.it/EukGlobal/IT/it/jsp/expert_advice/SubmitAQuestion.jsp]Domande sui cani | Eukanuba.com[/url]

There are absolutely loads of these and I am running out of steam...

Many thanks :yes:

Moxie (and him)

Another source to try for food for dogs and cats- my vet said the local canile contacts a large local restaurant once per week for left overs. One week they gave them a hundred kilos of excess chicken (couldn't use the next week because the expiration date would be passed).

Right - Hands up all those who have faxed ? :winki:

Sorry just wanted this thread visible for a few minutes :bigergrin:

Mox

Here are the first couple of pictures from Paganica today.

This is a test really of size etc - If I get it right I'll post some more pictures and a short write up.

Mox

We arrived at Paganica today with almost one ton of food and €149 in cash plus worming treatments (lots!):bigergrin:

Brief write up to follow

Mox

Oh so well done guys, a brilliant effort.
The fat controller xx
A

Just to say a huge thank you to everybody who helped make today possible.:yes:

We will shortly be receiving re homing info and the histories of those dogs who are suitable as 'pets' for Fiona's website - the vast majority of the dogs at Paganica will never be re homed, they are semi wild in many cases, ex farm dogs who would never successfully make the adjustment. These dogs will spend the rest of their lives at the shelter being superbly cared for by only three members of full time staff.

We were all shocked by the sheer amount of dogs and how extraordinarily well cared for they all were - without exception!

The elderly, the diseased and difficult animals all receive the same high level of attention. No dog is destroyed as a matter of course.

The staff were delighted with our contribution and guess what? 'Our' food will be distributed throughout the kennels [I]and the 'tendopoli'[/I] for those owners struggling to keep their pets with them.

Enough from me - over to you team...:winki:

Moxie (and him)

Thank you for that uplifting post Moxie. The animals are often overlooked in these crisis- it's so heartening to see the efforts of LAV, Fiona, and yourself.

:smile:Fantastic Moxie and All Involved :smile:, what Stars! This just goes to show what a positive forum can achieve.:yes::yes:

Wonderful - thank you all for going to all that trouble... What a shame (though not unexpected) about those who will never be able to be rehomed. But at least they'll know where their next meal is coming from!

You are all 'saints' for caring so much! [IMG]http://images.sodahead.com/images/polls/0/0/0/1/8/6/4/2/7/polls_IconSmileyHalo_3725_888327_answer_2_medium.gif[/IMG]

I join the other members in thanking you for your efforts. The no-kill canile sounds wonderful. Those are truly lucky dogs.

Well after a thoroughly rewarding day yesterday, full of emotions, we left being amazed by the devotion of the staff at the Canine Defence League. We really can't imagine how hard it is looking after 422 dogs. Everywhere was so clean and tidy, the animals watered and fed and the staff over the moon by our donations.

So we thought we had better relieve them of one of their little beauties and after some gentle persuasion on my better half, we came home with 'Flop'.

As you can see, we couldn't resist his beautiful eyes and you will be glad to know he is settling in well in his new home (even though he is getting a little too friendly with his new sister!). He is so gentle and kind - we can only try to imagine what he has been though and make him feel as comfortable as possible.

Not long after we arrived a tiny pupy was bought in - a reminder that we must not forget the homeless dogs of the L'Aquila area - this is an ongoing operation and anyone looking for a new member of the family, please start by looking here. These dogs have had so much trauma in their lives, they really do deserve a second chance.

For details of how to adopt a dog please contact Moxie, SarahandMark or DavidUno.

Thank you.

Flop's a lovely pooch. He'll be so happy now!

Hi Moxie

Someone posted a comment on the appeal post of my site- she would like to help foster any pets temporarily until their owners can help take care of them again. She doesn't know who to contact. maybe Francesca would be the person? Can you pm me with Francesca's email address ?

Thanks.