12450 translation of a British divorce certificate into Italian

As anybody got a copy of a British divorce certificate translated into Italian (less your personal details) as I need one to register my divorce (14 years ago) with the Italian Consulate in Manchester and translators are asking up to £70 on the net

Category
General chat about Italy

Check with the Consulate first as you may require a "certified" translation.

[quote=Dave D;120955]As anybody got a copy of a British divorce certificate translated into Italian (less your personal details) as I need one to register my divorce (14 years ago) with the Italian Consulate in Manchester and translators are asking up to £70 on the net[/quote]

Send me a PM - I can do it [I]and[/I] get an 'asseveramento' (sworn before and Italian JP) for far less than that for you...

Thank you
I am going to the Consulate within the next 2 weeks, it seems silly to have to go though all this when I've been remarried for the last 14 years:yes:

For the time being, you could try Babelfish. Its free.

[url=http://babelfish.yahoo.com/]Yahoo! Babel Fish - Text Translation and Web Page Translation[/url]

There is another called Babylon that may let you translate more text in one go.

I did find another free translation site the other day but cant remember its name now.

Good luck.

They will not accept Babelfish - or electronic translations - they are far too inaccurate. Believe me!

[quote=Dave D;120971]Thank you
I am going to the Consulate within the next 2 weeks, it seems silly to have to go though all this when I've been remarried for the last 14 years:yes:[/quote]

They are very picky about documents - especially if you get a 'Jobsworth'... I recently did TWO divorces for one guy and one was from 18 years ago. But that was for New York!

[quote=Carole B;120978]They will not accept Babelfish - or electronic translations - they are far too inaccurate. Believe me![/quote]

absolutely, also if you need it sworn at the tribunale the "swearing in" translator has to take responsibility for it - for ever. I certainly wouldn't swear a babelfish or any other machine translation, at any price.

When it comes to prices, remember the translator has to not only do the translation, but go the court, park, wait in queue, pay the marco da bollo (14.62 euros per document) etc etc, all taking up probably at least a couple of hours if not a morning. The translation bit probably costs far less although most agencies charge a minimum fee, so even if the document has 10 words, it still takes time and resources to find the translator, assign the job, run quality control, invoice etc - hence a minimum fee.

Tell you what - if it's a one page document, I'll do it for you for free. But if it needs to be sworn in, you'll need to pay those costs (I can't do it at the moment as am baby-bound).

[quote=Carole B;120978]They will not accept Babelfish - or electronic translations - they are far too inaccurate. Believe me![/quote]

I totally agree with Carole and I am a retired accredited translator (not in Italian, though). Also check whether your Divorce Certificate needs the Apostille of The Hague.