12192 Nasty Bug

Just wondered if any of you have had this nasty bug that is going around here. Awful throat, some get cough, some bronchitis and some laryngitis...seems to be viral and takes about a week to 10 days to go. Got through winter, no problems, but laid low over Easter.

Hope you've missed it.:yes:

Category
Health & Safety

Funny you should mention it because here in Umbria they call it an allergia and put it down to pollen! Small children have runny noses and red, skin blotches too.

I think that it is a very strange kind of virus that is going around, but I wish it would last no more than 10 days. I have had it for the past two months, got all kinds of remedies, doctor insists that I've got a sinus problem as perhaps a side complication from the flu (I was vaccinated last October) I had earlier... they have given me all kinds of treatments and I have been through countless tests, but the symptoms are still there and I simply had it. My daughter is suffering from a milder form of the same bug. So if you hear of anything that works against it, just let me know. Next Tuesday I've got another medical appointment, but, at this stage, I am losing hope.

:bigergrin:[quote=Aretina;117375]Just wondered if any of you have had this nasty bug that is going around here. Awful throat, some get cough, some bronchitis and some laryngitis...seems to be viral and takes about a week to 10 days to go. Got through winter, no problems, but laid low over Easter.

Hope you've missed it.:yes:[/quote]

BOY do I know about this. Throat infection? Cough? Bronchitis? Laryngitis? AND aching legs, headache, bad temper. Can't cook, can't hoover, can't take the dogs for a walk, can't clean the windows (don't actually do that, but I added it for effect) ...Couldn't [I]even type[/I] a post for a few days :swoon:.

If it makes you feel any better, the really tough 'contadini' around here are dropping like flies. So we are in good company.

My bug is worse than your bug, nah na na naaaa-naaah!

[I]Not a good time to be living in a cold, damp tent.[/I]

And guess what - I've got the Man version, scientifically proven to be at least 167% more potent. :yes:

Normally I get the bugs first and take the sting out of them before they pass (in their vastly less vile form) on to Percy. :yes:

This time it seems that Percy got it first, in a mild strain, and then within days it mutated into the full blown Man version as it entered my system. Add to that the effects of what is now known in these parts as Cardoon Craxise (thistle arse) and you can start to imagine how I feel. :eeeek:

Well for purposes of medical research I have started oral doses of Moretti and a fruity little Gavi pending the arrival of my plated TV dinner. Hope to re-join the forum proper once the Gavi kicks in. :bigergrin:

I have it on very good authority that no Italian virus can resist the curative properties of Vecchia Romana:yes:!

Hope you're all better very soon.:bigergrin:

I'll try your prescription, Cinghiale. At least I think that it will be more pleasurable than the doctor's recommendations.
Another good recipe is a glass of hot red wine with sugar and cinnamon (do not allow it to boil) and a couple of tablets of aspirin or paracetamol. Not very scientific, but nice to drink.

"Orally, cocoa seed is used for infectious intestinal diseases and diarrhea, asthma, [COLOR="red"]bronchitis[/COLOR], and as an expectorant for lung congestion. The seed coat is used for liver, bladder and kidney ailments, diabetes, as a tonic, and as a general remedy. Cocoa powder, enriched with flavonoid constituents, is used for preventing cardiovascular disease. "

Source - [url=http://www.naturaldatabase.com/(S(cn3jdy45byxohhvc3rxrm145))/nd/Search.aspx?cs=&s=nd&pt=100&id=812]COCOA Monograph: Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database[/url]

This also seems a good comprehensive article Gala.

[url=http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/bronchitis-000019.htm]Bronchitis[/url]

plus Herbal Teas which you can look up online.

Would a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk (or Bournville for more severe cases of Man Flu) and a hot water bottle, do the same job Sally, given the cocoa content?:smile:

Russ

No need for chocolate - a good dose of pyrethrin gets rid of all the nasty bugs. :bigergrin:

What works for me is punch a rum, really hot, drunk too fast, maybe two. After 3, who cares? Clears the nose, the sinuses and kills everything in the throat:wideeyed:

Our bug sound like yours Aunty P and Big Oak - it is (OH still has it) and was horrible. But, I did find something that helped. I had bought it for my older daughter because she had just had pneumonia, but she turned it down insisting it would intefer with her antibiotics. etc.

On a visit up to the Camaldoli Monastery a few weeks ago, I found a Balsamico Sciroppo made by the monks, which promised to 'maintain and promote respiratory health. It idid! One spoonful and you felt that you had an internal hot water bottle and a mother's hand stroking your trachae better!!

The bug took its course but you felt just a bit better during the experience.

Get better soon:yes:

I had something very similar last summer (and the milder this winter). Afterwards I was so lethargic and caught every little cough and sneeze doing the rounds. I went back to the doctor and she gave me some respiratory "pick me up" tablets ('ll look for the name after work and post it) and I was a new woman!

I had to take them for the first 10 days fo the month for 3 months and they worked a treat.

[quote=Penny;117452]I had something very similar last summer (and the milder this winter). Afterwards I was so lethargic and caught every little cough and sneeze doing the rounds. I went back to the doctor and she gave me some respiratory "pick me up" tablets ('ll look for the name after work and post it) and I was a new woman!

I had to take them for the first 10 days fo the month for 3 months and they worked a treat.[/quote]

I think it's in the States too! My husband had laryngitis and terrible congestion for close to a month and now our son has it as well along with a sore throat along with lethargy. Hope it's not the start of some type of worldwide new bird flu virus.

I have got something too!, very achey joints, but no fever, sort of comes and goes, dont think the pouring rain helps, this is getting like a dear doctor thread, anyone care to diagnose offer a remedy?
A

I think we need Aunty Percy on the case!

I know I complained earlier of having caught the "man version" of this bug, but seriously two thoughts now spring to mind:

1. I feel better when the sun shines. Really I do. Yes there are physical symptons of lethargy and aching limbs, but when the sun shines, I'm out and at it. Maybe because i don't have a 06.00-20.00 rat race job anymore I'm just more sensitive to these bugs and better/more pathetic at giving them "air-time"???

2. I once heard that the way to tell the difference between a cold and influenza was like this; if you see a £50.00 note blowing around in the garden and you go and get it - that's a cold. If you think, "no way am I moving from my sofa"- that's influenza

Thankfully I still have the strength to shout downstairs for my dinner :bigergrin:

Best wishes to everyone who is feeling yuk and hope the sun shines for you soon :smile:

It's all that running about in the nude that does it.....Wear a little vest next time.
Sprat:bigergrin:

[quote=pilchard;117514]It's all that running about in the nude that does it.....Wear a little vest next time.
Sprat:bigergrin:[/quote]

Not so sure a vest would help - I think these viruses slip in up the Craxie:laughs:!

[quote=Penny;117452]I had something very similar last summer (and the milder this winter). Afterwards I was so lethargic and caught every little cough and sneeze doing the rounds. I went back to the doctor and she gave me some respiratory "pick me up" tablets ('ll look for the name after work and post it) and I was a new woman!

I had to take them for the first 10 days fo the month for 3 months and they worked a treat.[/quote]

Hi Penny - any chance you remembered to dig out the name of your magic pills? Ta!!

Hope it's not swine flu - after seeing the news last night it seems to be getting everywhere!

Sorry - I forgot. They are called Broncho Vaxom and cost about €25 for a pack of 30.

If cadburys choc and vecchia romagna (my 2 favourite things) are on offer as a remedy then I want that bug!

[quote=Penny;118789]Sorry - I forgot. They are called Broncho Vaxom and cost about €25 for a pack of 30.[/quote]

Thanks Penny - I fell about laughing when I saw the name sounds so appropriate! Teehee ..... well might see if I can get them or an equivillent in blighty which is where I am right now !

I think that you are all making a bit of a joke about this virus especially the man version, please understand how bad this is for us, to help understand please view this link.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EElqrgk4N0]YouTube - man flu[/ame]

[quote=herealready;118791]If cadburys choc and vecchia romagna (my 2 favourite things) are on offer as a remedy then I want that bug![/quote]

Rubbed on the chest, or inhaled, or chopped up in a cup????:bigergrin: