12391 moving to italy

Hi, I am concidering trying to move to Italy, I was thinking of the puglia area. I have two children one is 13 the other 4. I do not want to and have not for some time live in ireland anymore.
I am just wondering the best way to go about looking around. I live in a small rural place in Ireland by the sea, and would like something similar in Italy.
I am looking for a simpler life where I am not driving all the time, and that there is not a drink culture, to be able to have a social life that does not involve going to the pub.
I would have to rent for the time being, and would love to have a garden and a good school for my older boy. I home school my younger son. And to be near the sea.
I am looking for alot!!
Does anyone think it is a good ides to go over ther when my son gets out of school in june and look around or wait untill september.
I would really appreciate all advice,
Chiari

Category
Introduce Yourself - Piacere Conoscerti

Well, there are alot of factors, one is sunshine......... I am finding it increasingly difficult to live in the irish climate, of rain and damp and grea skys. I would like to continue to have a garden and it would be nice to grow things most of the year. Also my grandmother was Italian, my christian name is her Italian surname. I have only been to Rome, and I really liked the food and their manner. I cant say for sure as I have not looked around Italy yet, but I am feeling drawn to going there.
chiari

I suggest you take a good look around, Italy’s regions can be very different and varied, before you even start thinking of living here with children

I agree with Nielo. You have to look around before you decide on a particular area if there is not an important reason where you have to go there.

I intend either driving over in june or flying and renting a car, I want to look around puglia,

there is a site "puglia posse" ...you will have to search for it(google)... but it is a forum with english speakers in that area and they will be able to give you a better idea of what you are trying to find out

its one of the best forums regarding regional italian life i think

me i wouldn't choose Puglia as a place to take children... but thats personal .. its also quite wet there in the winter... lots of rain and cold... don't mistake Italy for the sort of Spanish med climate...its not...

anyway check that place...

also if you do a search on puglia on this forum you get some info...

the puglia site will also be able to help you out with rental suggestions and prices...

schooling here is very hard in the sense of fitting in...especially for a 13 year old.. at 14 they have to pass exams and choose a career specific higher school .. cannot see a thirteen year old managing this... and he/she will be put back most probably at least one year to try and catch up...

good luck

For sticking a pin in a map to decide where to move to, why not? If you're "drawn" to Puglia then good for you. Why not get a mobile home? Keep your options open. Remember "A place in the Sun"? "Hello I'm Amanda Lamb. This couple wanted to find a house in Italy, so we've taken them to Bulgaria". Open mind is good. By the sea is good. Loads of dosh is helpful, good luck

I went to Italy when i was 4 as an expat kid (went to the english school) and 40+ years later still remembered a fair bit of Italian when I returned. As a teacher (and as commented above) I'd say far different for a 13 year old in local Italian schools and it would be very disruptive of their education (and social life).

There is a drinking culture here too, just a bit different from Ireland, and where I am just as much a driving culture - I'm sometimes amazed at the distances people drive when I would walk or cycle.

As for social life, it would be quite difficult to fit in easily. I go to local bars where I've met local people, I'm a traditional musician and have met people that way and I play in a local sports team. Having kids is probably also a good way to meet people, but there is no easy alternative to the pub here. I assume (apologies) that you don't have a need for employment as that is even more difficult, and a lot more so in Puglia than where I live in the North.

You should definitely come for a visit and a good talk with as many people as possible, but do come with an open mind and realistic views.

This recent thread may give you further information regarding the research you need to do before deciding:
[url]http://www.italymag.co.uk/forums/general-chat-about-italy/12049-why-did-you-choose-your-italian-location.html[/url]

[quote=chiari;120239]Hi, I am concidering trying to move to Italy, I was thinking of the puglia area. I have two children one is 13 the other 4. I do not want to and have not for some time live in ireland anymore. I am just wondering the best way to go about looking around. I live in a small rural place in Ireland by the sea, and would like something similar in Italy. I am looking for a simpler life where I am not driving all the time, and that there is not a drink culture, to be able to have a social life that does not involve going to the pub. I would have to rent for the time being, and would love to have a garden and a good school for my older boy. I home school my younger son. And to be near the sea. I am looking for alot!!
Does anyone think it is a good ides to go over ther when my son gets out of school in june and look around or wait untill september. I would really appreciate all advice, Chiari[/quote]

[FONT=Century Gothic]Welcome to the forum [IMG]http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/froehlich/a010.gif[/IMG] Good luck with your research.[/FONT]

Good luck with your search. To be honest there's no better way than to travel around and visit as many places as possible. You'll also see a number of previous threads on the site here about why people chose particular areas. You should have a look at those. Also and I'd say one of the most important things is to visit in the winter time too.