12410 Announcements & Queries vs Circolo

So far today I've learned we should only quote a post in its entirety,and we should provide the context of the quoted post (provide a link to the thread, for example).

I understand that we are not supposed to post a quote from the Circolo elsewhere in the forum, because it comes up in Google, a non-member may read it, etc.

What I don't understand is which threads belong in the Circolo vs the Announcements & Queries sub-forum, for example. Many of the threads seem like we wouldn't want them coming up in Google, or visible to anyone who visits the forum.

What's the rule on whether a thread should be "hidden" in the Circolo vs available to "all the World" on the Announcements & Queries?

Category
Italy Magazine Forums - Announcements & Queries - No Longer Applicable

A valuable and relevant question Noma, one which I would also like the answer to.

Why did you decide announcements and queries was the place for this thread and not the circolo?

As far as I know Noma, the Circolo is indexed by Google in exactly the same way as any other part of the Forum.

From a moderator's point-of-view, we take a much more liberal attitude to posts in the Circolo, because by posting there, you are inviting feedback and accepting that the subject may veer in a different direction to the one you started in, as happens in any conversation.

More importantly, in any system where there are rules, we hope that people will exercise common sense above all and that the rules will only come into effect in the event of a dispute.

[quote=Marc;120447]As far as I know Noma, the Circolo is indexed by Google in exactly the same way as any other part of the Forum.[/quote]

Incorrect Marc, the Circolo is not indexed by Google in any way whatsoever. If you check this with Ronald I am sure you will find that I am correct and that one of the main reasons the Circolo is only available to members is that it is NOT indexed by Google.

[quote=Marc;120447]From a moderator's point-of-view, we take a much more liberal attitude to posts in the Circolo, because by posting there, you are inviting feedback and accepting that the subject may veer in a different direction to the one you started in, as happens in any conversation.[/quote]

Wherever anyone posts, be it in the Circolo or the main forum, they invite feedback and accept that the subject may veer in a different direction to the one originally started, as happens in any conversation. It has has been proven time and time again, that even with the best intentions, the VAST majority of threads veer "off topic".

I am very hard pushed to think of any thread that has not veered "off topic" on this forum, with perhaps the exception of threads where no one has replied to the thread or where the originator of the thread is the only one to have replied by posting to themselves - sometimes even under those circumstances, the thread has still veered "off topic"!

[quote=Marc;120447]More importantly, in any system where there are rules, we hope that people will exercise common sense above all and that the rules will only come into effect in the event of a dispute.[/quote]

Is your interpretation of the rules the same as other Mods/Admin on this forum? Is your application of the rules the same as other Mods/Admin on this forum?

If so, then why have you banned JC as "attacking another member" when it has been proven to you time and time again that you misinterpreted the post and applied the rules incorrectly?

Why have you not replied to Nielo's numerous requests regarding the true reasons for your over zealous deletions of the threads?

Can you honestly tell me it is not because you are choosing to be selective in who you decide to ban or whose questions you reply to? :nah:

How deep do you intend to dig that hole Marc?

Someone told me recently that those who are capable of doing the greatest harm are also the ones capable of doing the greatest good. Those are words that will remain with me - and I place you in that category. Your back is not against the wall here - all that is being asked for is acceptance that you got annoyed and pressed the power button on the wrong people yesterday.

[quote=Nielo;120439]A valuable and relevant question Noma, one which I would also like the answer to.

Why did you decide announcements and queries was the place for this thread and not the circolo?[/quote]
Frankly, I don't know any better. That's why I'm asking.

[quote=Marc;120447]As far as I know Noma, the Circolo is indexed by Google in exactly the same way as any other part of the Forum.

From a moderator's point-of-view, we take a much more liberal attitude to posts in the Circolo, because by posting there, you are inviting feedback and accepting that the subject may veer in a different direction to the one you started in, as happens in any conversation.

More importantly, in any system where there are rules, we hope that people will exercise common sense above all and that the rules will only come into effect in the event of a dispute.[/quote]
Thanks Marc. If I understand correctly then, it's a toss-up. The Circolo and Announcements & Queries sub-forums are more or less interchangeable, no?

[quote=Noma;120472]Frankly, I don't know any better. That's why I'm asking.[/quote]

Has Marc’s reply provided the answer to your question?
Is it all clear now?

[quote=Nielo;120477]Has Marc’s reply provided the answer to your question?
Is it all clear now?[/quote]
His answer was much different than I had assumed. It sounds now like we may post anything in either one, the only difference being the way the two are moderated. Previously I had thought the Circolo was for posts that needed to be hidden from non-members due to content.

As it is explained at the top of the page of the Sub-forum,
This forums (sic) are used to post info regarding administrative decisions and handle queries regarding forum software functionality. To report any other issues please send a PM or e-mail to the Administrator.
unquote
This is really a sub-forum, not a forum and there may be an extra use for it, which is to announce the formation of a new group.
The "Circolo" is a sort of private club for members only where we can joke, derail and discuss topics in a more relaxed way.
That is my understanding of the two sub-forums.

FWIW - my 2cents:
The Announcements and Queries section states:

[quote][COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]Announcements & Queries[/B] This forums are used to post info regarding administrative decisions and handle queries regarding forum software functionality. To report any other issues please send a PM or e-mail to the Administrator.[/COLOR][/quote]Therefore if I have a question about, or wish to check on, the penalties and infrigements decisions made by Admin then I will post here. It has been noticeable that a recent 'ban' was not recorded here, though in fairness it may ONLY be the Administrator who can do this. But such questions would not be asked in the Circolo. But I certainly would expect the explanations of decisions - as required in the Forum Rules - to be posted here. Once again, as can be clearly seen - inconsistency rules!

Whereas The Circolo is, to to all intents and purposes, the place to have a rant, or voice your thoughts/opinions on matters which are pertinent to the 'membership' but not for general visitors. Many of the complaints about the fund raising 'sub forum' were voiced here with the express intention of [U][I]not[/I][/U] voicing such dissatisfaction on the threads where the serious matter of raising money for the earthquake victims was taking place. THAT was why I was so angry that a such a post (of mine) was copied into the open part of [I]another[/I] site and was made to be the subject of discussion by people for whom it was not intended. That one decision by someone who had to be an IM member certainly was very much out of order.

Sounds like the answer is still up in the air. I had thought Marc's reply was the definitive answer, but now I have no idea.

[quote=Noma;120486]Sounds like the answer is still up in the air. I had thought Marc's reply was the definitive answer, but now I have no idea.[/quote]

You've been here TWO YEARS and have no idea - imagine what it's like for newbies! :bigergrin: