12136 Abruzzo disaster collection news

We are awaiting news of the next phase of collection. All those who couldn't make it to last week's food collection, don't worry there will be more. The homeless will need feeding for along time. I suspect that the next round will be clothing and blankets. I expect to hear more on Tuesday.
We are linked with "Un aiuto concreto" in association with AmbienteVita (MC) and Azione Marche.

Meanwhile here is the link to the Forum donation fund:

[URL="http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake"]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/URL]

Remember donations accepted from as little as ONLY £2.00! (less than 0.5 pint of Guinness at Sticky Fingers!)

Category
Le Marche

Daviduno,
The point you make is SO important... the problems that these people have aren't going to disappear once the news dies down - which, alas, is already happening.

Their heartache and fear will be with them for the rest of their lives and wish as we might, we can't do anything to ease that. But we can address all those 'little' but non the less important everyday needs they will have by finding a way (for want of a better way of puting it) to 'drip feed' money to where it is needed.

Enough to provide things like:

[LIST]
[*]Personal hygiene goods
[*]Special food requirements (celiac etc)
[*]The ocasional 'extra' (sweets and biscuits) for the tiddlers.
[*]Writing paper and stamps.
[*]Crockery and cutlery that [I]isn't[/I] plastic.
[*]Some fans for when that summer sun beats down on those tents (imagine what [U]that's[/U] going to be like...)
[*]Shoes for kids whose feet aren't going to stop growing.
[/LIST]
Oh the list is endless - but this news (and these needs) will all to quickly be condemned to become the wrapping for tomorrows fish and chips... do we really want that to happen? I don't think so - but how to keep the impetus going is quite another matter. I've never really been an 'idea' person, I'm more a 'finisher'. Put the planned task in front of me and I'll do what I can to help it succeed. If that means committing a little bit of my pension every month to help these people, then that's what I'll do. I'm sure I won't miss it if I give up one or two of my treats each month. How about the rest of you?

The food drop went well, I'm awaiting photographs of the distribution.
There will be a report in Il Resto Del Carlino on Saturday.
The next task of the Macerata group is to provide sheets and matresses.
Any ideas? Anyone got a redundant bedding warehouse? These items have to be new.
Anybody not yet thanked Juliancoll on "Make me pay"? Each will be costing her £1 to the [url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url]

People with holiday businesses have you emailed your previous clients with the link? I sent it out to a few people, felt guilty to be troubling them, however was not a problem and some have donated! Thank you very much.

I’m not sure if it has been said and probably I should not be the one to say it but what the heck.

From someone who lives in Abruzzo, my profound thanks to all the people from Le Marche who have been so generous.

Thank you

Hear, hear - well said Nielo! Yes, an absolutely sterling effort made by your neighbours in Le Marche. :yes:

Have just had donated 18 new beds with mattresses plus bed linen, many thanks to Russ for his very generous act.
A

The news is...no news. I am still waiting to hear from the Macerata P C or Lega ambiente re the bed collection.
I'll chase up tomorrow.
Meanwhile planning is underway for various fund raising initiativess.
This forum is open. Any ideas? Big or small, all welcome.:yes:

Marche "Aiuto Concreto"

Photos have arrived of the food drop to the warehouse in Pescara. They are not however very exciting, just goods on a lorry, goods being stored in the warehouse Banco Alimentare Abruzzo. The best two are in the article below.
Here is the link to the online Cronache Maceratese:-

[url=http://www.cronachemaceratesi.it/?p=4564]Un camion con 30 quintali di beni per le popolazioni colpite dal sisma | Cronache Maceratesi[/url]

Article detailing the delivery of 3 tons of goods collected from a handful of stores plus many individuals. We didn't get a mention but the important news is that the food is now awaiting distribution to the "Tendopoli".

If the rain continues tomorrow then I'll do a translation of the article.

We've had a reply from the animal refuge in Aquila. They've apologised about the time taken to reply, explaining that they have had difficulties!
Anybody who would like to donate animal food, please PM either Moxie, or Daviduno.
To see their full reply please follow this link :-

[URL]http://www.italymag.co.uk/forums/general-chat-about-italy/12204-canine-defence-laquila.html#post117543[/URL]

Also people, the Red Cross collection is ongoing! People are living in abject misery NOW, in tents (6 bedded) in the rain and mud, less than 2 hours drive from many of us in Marche.

[url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url]

David, any news from Macerata P C or Lega ambiente re the bunk bed collection yet?

Hello JC and all others who are interested in these beds. Lega Ambiente and the Protezione Civile Macerata have still not got back to me despite many chase up calls. Sarah has links with the Comunanza Red Cross and thinks that they'll be interested. So we are now going along that road.

Conditions must be awful in those camps - they probably have enough beds anyway, but I doubt they have many bunk beds and they would give people more floor space in what must be cramped conditions.

Does anyone know where else people are being sheltered other than in the P C blue tents? Would bunk beds even fit in the tents? I'm thinking of head height restrictions may mean they need to be used elsewhere - isn't there a sports hall being used?

News about how people are coping in the camps is pretty thin on the ground here in the UK.

I believe that some of the eathquake survivors are also being housed in army tents as well, in addition to hotels and holiday homes along the coast..

Regardless the bunk beds can also be used as ordinary single beds...

Is there potential for the beds to be sold and the proceeds donated where it is needed most should the worst come to the worst?

How come Hopla has 9 thanks and yet has only made the one post....? Oh I see Hopla's given out 9 thanks.......................hope one was to
Juliancoll then?

He has thanked someone nine times Noble and he's above board going by his formal friends on his Profile Page. Having said that ..... lol

Can someone explain what Sally means by her comment "Having said that ..... lol"?

Wow! Attacked on your first ever post! Good on you Soph'! (Hopla).
For the information of anyboby with an interest, check out

[url=http://www.justgiving.com/italy-abruzzo-earthquake?page=2#donationtable]Justgiving - ITALY Magazine Abruzzo Earthquake Appeal[/url]

You will see that this wonderful person has also made a very generous donation not that that should make a difference.

Eh Noble you meant DavidUno surely!!! lol

Noble still misunderstands Moxie. Hopla gave one to DavidUno but Noble said it was one to Juliancoll hence mu correction.

Moxalina, stai calma - Noble just got confused and thought Hopla had received nine Grazies and then realised Hopla had given out nine Grazies.

The reference to "giving one to JC" (as Sally has so nicely put it) - I am sure Noble meant giving a "Grazie" to me on the "Make me pay" thread.

But very well done Hopla (must find a nice nickname for you) - you caused a bit of a stir. :bigergrin:

I must read the rules because I do not understand how someone who posts for the first time can have 9 Thanks to their name. How can you give out thanks if you are not a member yet...? Or perhaps Hopla was a member but has waited to post?
As regular Forum readers will know, Juliancoll was giving a pound for every thanks she gained... hence my hoping that one of those 9 thanks of Hopla's was posted there.

Thanks JC and I hope that it explains it Moxie? :jiggy:

Noble, there are no restrictions on how many Grazies can be given or received by any member. You don't need to post anything in order to be able to GIVE a Grazie - but a member obviously needs to post in order to RECEIVE a Grazie.

Anyway, back on topic? :smile:

Anyway.............. I have been busy today sorting out the transport for the beds and will have it confirmed by 9.30pm that the large van from the Red Cross in Comunanza will be going along to pick the beds up either tomorrow night or thursday then taking them to L'Aquila - so keep your fingers crossed, the beds should arrive by friday at the latest. Desparate to get them there asap as it must be dreadful with all this rain.
Emanuella, my Red Cross contact is so happy about the bed and sends many thanks to Russ and all involved.
Sarah and Mark

[SIZE=6][U][B]Latest NEWSFLASH[/B][/U][/SIZE]

Sarah has come up with the goods. Read the following quote:-

"Hi - Have managed to get hold of a large van through the Red Cross and have arranged with Nicky to pick up the beds tomorrow or thurs and then they are going straight to L'Aquila. Hopefully the people will have them by thurs - just hope this rain stops before they are flooded too much"

HUGE [SIZE=7]THANKS[/SIZE] TO SARAH and MARK for putting the beds to bed (sorry). :smile::smile::smile:

Check out this link on life in one of the 31 "tendopoli". This was filmed before the heavy rain of the last two days.
This is why we are passionate about what we are trying to do.

[ame=http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=iC_ThwtJ4KU]YouTube - Rainews 24 - La vita nella tendopoli di Piazza D'Armi -[/ame]

Thank you for this for this link, it makes you realise the hardship that the survivors are living in...

I would also like to thank SarahandMark for arranging what Daviduno couldn't:bigergrin:

To anybody in the Tolentino, Serrapetrona area please PM Hopla if you wish to donate to the pet food collection for the Aquila refuge. Moxie aims to deliver a car load of pet products in the next few days.

Anybody who would like to help, feel free! The more hands,vehicles, people to talk to tradespeople to obtain donations the merrier!

We havn't forgotten about the human element but there are many other agencies involved with that huge task.

Thank you Hopla! Are you looking for trouble Signorina?:winki:

News on the animal food collection:

"With regards the number you gave me Gala, I spoke to a lady who said that I must fax my request marked 'Urgente' - it occurred to me that if some of you who can write in Italian would be kind enough to add your 'facsimile voice' to mine we may have a better chance of getting that assistance!

Fax no. (0039) 0257 510890 mark your fax as 'Urgente' please.

Briefly outline what we are after and add the details of the refuge - thank you!

Lega Nazionale per la Difesa del Cane sezione di L'Aquila
S.s. 17 Bis n° 49 - 67100 Paganica (AQ)
p.i 01715890669 - c.f. 93009090668
tel.: 329.9064859 - fax: 0862.602196
[URL="http://www.cuccefelici.com/"][B][COLOR=#004807]www.cuccefelici.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL] - [EMAIL="info@cuccefelici.com"][B][COLOR=#004807]info@cuccefelici.com[/COLOR][/B][/EMAIL]

Ok ... also it would be helpful for those who wish to lend a hand to contact pet food manfacturers and request help for the refuge eg.

[URL="http://www.advisory.masterfoods.com/pedigreeuk/contactform.asp"][B][COLOR=#004807]Pedigree® UK[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

There are absolutely loads of these and I am running out of steam...

Many thanks :yes:"

Also, we will be buying pet foods in bulk from a cash and carry this Thursday. There is still time to donate either food or cash!

We are awaiting PMs from anybody who wishes to donate. Please contact either myself ( Sarnano area) Moxie,Angie and Robert (Falerone), SarahandMark (Amandola/Comunanza), amazingmarche(Force), Hopla (Belforte). :yes:

We are leaving early Monday morning with the dog food for the animals of L'Aquila and are collecting food / donations over the weekend.

Anyone wishing to donate, please contact Moxie, Daviduno or SarahandMark ASAP, so that arrangements can be made to pick up.

Thank you.

Today is the last chance for getting your dog food donations to us :yes:
We are leaving for L'Aquila bright and early tomorrow morning.

Thus far we have in the region of three quarters of a ton of dried food in sacks plus a variety of extras and and a bag of medical supplies. :smile:

We are still able to collect your donations up until 6pm this evening so please PM Sarah and Mark, Angie and Robert, DavidUno, Hopla or us.

Our heartfelt thanks to all those who have helped or donated to date.

Moxie