12199 Health System Cover - Rules

I need some help understanding where my family stands when I move from Italy to Switzerland for a new Job. I lost my job in the middle of February 2009.

We have lived as a family in Italy since Jan 2003 and are resident in Piedmont. My Wife worked before our child was born and started working again in Nov 2008 through to the present time ( part time English Teacher , tax paid by the school , not under her own Partita Iva).

Currently my wife and son are my "Carico".

My son has some health problems and attends hospital and requires regular surgery and support.

I'm trying to understand :-
Are we still covered under the Italian health system ?
If I move to Switzerland for my new job and my wife remains in Italy, what do we need to do to ensure my son and wife are covered under the health system ?

Many thanks for your help with this

Category
Legal

Dear Paul

All depends on your current status. If you have already been registered with the ASL as a family you should each have a tessera sanitaria which may be indefinite or have an expiry date.

If you were granted a permesso di soggiorno in 2003 and this is still valid you should be able to apply for an attestazione of permanent residence for you and your family members at the local Comune, and with this you are each entitled to registration with the Italian health service indefinitely.

There are also provision in the new law for those who were employed and then became unemployed depending on the reason for this.

I hope this is a help. You may get quicker results by approaching your local ASL if you are lucky enough to find someone who understands the rules on EC nationals resident in Italy, but my guess is as you have been here for over 5 years and have been employed here your entitlement to health treatment has been established and should continue.

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte

Many thanks for this .

I can confirm the permesso was issued in 2003 , however , we did not renew them when they expired as we believed the new law came into place and we didn't need them any longer.

We will approach our local commune and see what they require to issue the Attestazione di Soggiorno permanente.

This is a great help and we will let you know how we get on

Paul

I'm afraid you may no longer be covered if you are no longer working AND the permesso has expired. You would not be granted the attestation of permanent residence has you cannot show a period of 5 years continuous legal residence.

However if your tessera sanitaria is still valid then this should not be a problem.

Charlotte