12160 Pisa airport, driving there from the south.

We have always loathed the journey by car to Pisa airport to collect and take back, friends and family. The journey has caught us with its speed traps but far far worse, are the road works. Travelling from Umbria, around Florence, to turn off to Pisa is now impossible, even the handwritten signs are useless. One has to take the A11 and go North and West of Pisa, a longer journey and very confusing too. If anyone has any constructive advice to offer drivers, we'd welcome it. (On many occasions the train just isn't practical).

Category
Travel & Holiday Advice

HI
We visit Italy every year and have stayed near Lago trasimeno on many occaisions, quite often in the winter in february time, usually have good but cold weather.
I agree with you re the roads around Florence, We prefer to turn off to Siena on the S429 and go across on the Perugia road, although it takes longer a more relaxed journey.
masterphoto.:wideeyed:

Thanks masterphoto. The problems come between Florence and Pisa. The journey which used to take 2.5 hours max in summer (and not pleasant then) now takes 3 hours in April. A return journey means 6 hours of driving in horrendous conditions. My husband was so shattered after the return journey to Pisa he chose not to watch the football last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should like to suggest that you choose your airport with this in mind.

Can you tell us where the delays are - I'm driving from Pisa to Panzano and back in October.

Ta.

Whoa, two days later and he's still het up about that journey ...answer is ...from Pisa Airport you take the Fi-Pi-Li (FEE-PEE-LEE). The road works hold you up (may not be the case in October?) Minor accidents add to the delay.
Coming from the south to Pisa Airport the real nightmare begins at Incisa, past Firenze Sud, all stop-start. The Exit sign for Firenze Signa has disappeared and there are no sign posts for the Fi-Pi-Li. Perhaps you are supposed to come off at Scandicci??? But most people plough on to the A11 to Pisa North.

Oh and if you get a bit of clear road don't go over the speed limit. ALL the speed cameras are working full time ....he knows it's true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. Have now asked around and you can somehow get off at SCANDICCI but there is no signage at all at present.

Have you thought about leaving the A1 at Val di Chiana and taking the road past Siena and onto Colle Val D'Elsa and up through Poggibonsi to Certaldo coming out at Empoli on the Fi-Pi-Li. I know it takes longer but I seem to recall that a large section of it is now dual carriageway.

Good idea Robert, will check the map. Sounds worth trying. We did that journey recently when we went to S.Gimignano, wasn't too bad.

Looking at the problem the other way around, what's the transfer like between the Fi-Pi-Li and the A1 going south? We are hopefully travelling out to Trasimeno in June.

Answer: It's not as bad but there were several minor accidents so progress was slow. We are going to take the route you suggested next time.

[quote=Robert Stoner;117369]Have you thought about leaving the A1 at Val di Chiana and taking the road past Siena and onto Colle Val D'Elsa and up through Poggibonsi to Certaldo coming out at Empoli on the Fi-Pi-Li. I know it takes longer but I seem to recall that a large section of it is now dual carriageway.[/quote]

I was just thinking the same when reading the same. Plus I dont think there are many speed traps on this route, so you can really put your foot down a little and of course stay in the speed limit at the same time.....

Noble, I live not terribly far from you and I'm afraid I long ago decided that I was not going to pick people up at Pisa. I go up and down to FCO regularly (sometimes 3 times a week) when hubby travels and that's a piece a cake as Chiusi intersection on the A1 to the airport is easy. But going up to Pisa is absolutely the pits. It's not just the slow going section around Firenze on the A1, I loath the FI-PI-LI, it's one of the nastiest stretches of roads I have ever driven on. (And I have driven in some very strange places.) Very fast, very tight (no hard shoulder), horrid bruising concrete division between the carriageways, loadsa potholes and bumper to bumper buses and trucks aiming to avoid the toll on the alternative autostrada. It should come with a government health warning.

Carissima Violetta I have always enjoyed your posts but this last one I enjoyed most of all..............YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Fiumicino or Ciampino are far preferable if picking anyone up. Pisa is indeed the pits. Going round Florence is the main problem. If there are people out there who wish to know what a taxi from Pisa to Passignano costs, it varies between 210 euros to 300 euros. PM if you want the cheapest quote ...a firm whom we used and were brilliant, as my husband said never again would he do the drive.

We did the journey to/fm Pisa both ways last weekend. 2.5 hours each time & absolutely no problem. We joined/left the A1 at Arezzo and whilst it was steady going around Firenze, it wasn't particularly bad.

Just whilst we are on the Pisa airport theme we are coming out from Liverpool to Pisa next week on route to Le Marche. Very long route but hellish cheap flight! We are not too fussed about the drive because we thought it maybe quite a picturesque drive. Any route recommendations for shortest/fastest/most picturesque very much welcomed.:bigergrin:

[quote=Skichi;119958]We did the journey to/fm Pisa both ways last weekend. 2.5 hours each time & absolutely no problem. We joined/left the A1 at Arezzo and whilst it was steady going around Firenze, it wasn't particularly bad.[/quote]

May I ask which day it was and what time of day? So far nothing but bad reports particularly around Florence.

Latest route suggested from South ....A1. Take this to Siena, then take the Raccorda towards Florence, come off at the San Casciano exit follow the road to Cerbaia, then to Ginestre and on to the Pisa/Florence Road. It takes about an hour from Pogginbonsi and is the most direct route!

[quote=Noble;120052]May I ask which day it was and what time of day? So far nothing but bad reports particularly around Florence........[/quote]

This site may help - you can view traffic conditions by clicking on the various cameras

[url=http://www.autostrade.it/autostrade/traffico.do?mapLevel=micro&mappa=firenze_2]Traffico in tempo reale - Autostrade per l’Italia S.p.A.[/url]