12244 Customer care. Who cares about that?

As this has been the second experience in as many weeks, I'd like to know your views. The first experience was at a garage where we had purchased two new cars over recent years. My husband went in to look at the latest model and there was little or no interest in him being in the showroom. New salesman so he gave them the benefit of the doubt.

This morning I received an email from someone in England saying he wanted to hold a conference "in a lovely hotel" with internet facilites for 7 people. IT co and it's a work and fun trip.

I have a favourite Hotel run by friends but it's only 2 star, so I thought I'd try another where we have dined and the restaurant staff are superb. (The Chef there appears on telly). So I rang. It was quite difficult to get past the girl answering the phone to actually speak to the Direttore. I explain to him what has been asked for....a sala for 7 people from an IT company for a conference, wanting a meeting room with high speed internet for their 7 laptops and 7 bedrooms etc. in September. I would email back the details which could then be discussed.

The off-hand manner of the boss, who almost immediately handed me back to the girl that answered the phone, was astonishing. She had as much charm are Cruela de Vill. We spoke in Italian but she says she can speak and write in English.

Is business so very good in Italy at present that no one needs to bother with customer enquiries or indeed good manners?:no:

Category
Travel & Holiday Advice

And yet yesterday I was surprised in the nicest possible way. Let me explain:

I translate (among other things) documents for citizenship and once completed these are sent back, usually to the USA and the customer deals with the rest.

But recently I had an American, married to an Italian, already over here trying to establish residency etc. He found a 'jobsworth' in his local Questura regarding non translated docs. So he got me to do them. Then they wanted a sworn statement by me, made before a JP that the translation was a true to what was written. Now I've never done this before, so a quick call to the nearest Courthouse brought me to talking to the Cancelliere (Chancellor). Who explained briefly, but in a VERY friendly manner what was required and the costs in marche da bollo.

So yesterday I purchased the requisite bolli and parked outside the Palazzo della Giustizia. (only a little one). Went in and found all the inner doors locked. I had been told that they were open 8-13 M-F. Notices on the doors said the same but it was only 12noon. What to do? Luckily there were some chairs and being disabled that was a relief. Then a lady came in and tried the door too, she went into the courtyard and found another sign saying 'When closed go upstairs to main office? Problem! No lift. But she took a message for me and within minutes the Cancelliere himself arrived, sat down with me and checked the documents, then asked me where my sworn statement was? It seems I was supposed to provide it, but I hadn't. I asked him if he could just scribble what I had to provide and I would come back the following day with all in place. He agreed and asked for some ID which I gave him and he disappeared saying, with a lovely smile, not to run away (yeah, right - as if)!

So I sat and just waited - he returned 40 minutes later with [U]all[/U] the documentation stamped and the 'asseveramento' (my statement) [U]typed and complete[/U], attached to the translations and ready for me to sign. He then gave me the number for his 'direct' phone line to use when I had to do any more of these. He said that way he would ensure that I could get into their private parking and could be sure that he would be there to help me. From being a nervous wreck when I arrived, not knowing what to expect, I now felt so good and almost as if I wasn't the nuisance or a freak that many make you feel like!

Now that [U][B][I]was[/I][/B][/U] customer service... pity many others in Italy can't recognise the value of using it!

Lovely heart warming story Carole and I am pleased that you sort of agree with my true complaint, which is, why Italian businesses are so off hand?